3,621 results
All reviews mission bay gordon berry acqua restaurant fire pit sea world pool area tennis courts old town bay view beautiful property family vacation rental car la jolla concierge conference tower smores
Reviewed November 3, 2016

In the words of my favorite Rock n’ Roll star Bruce Springsteen (“Rosalita”) “I know a pretty little place in Southern California near San Diego way” (in Bruce’s case it was “ a little café where they play guitars all night and day”), in my case the newly discovered Hilton San Diego Resort and Spa (on Mission Bay).

I have been off the road for 3 months (an eternity in California). I have been feverishly writing (I am an International tax lawyer and internationally published tax author). I just finish my 17th book and publish my 100th article (see my website gswlaw.com for more information). TTC (Time To Celebrate).

My colleague, friend and co-author, Allen Walburn, Tax Partner/Allen Matkins, San Diego advises that he Is co-hosting the 2016 Annual CA State Tax Bar Meeting, so I decide to jump in my jeep (the CA road car of choice) drive 120 miles and find myself on a secluded tropical island on Mission Bay, a dredged sand bar with a multi-mile path along the water.

The State Bar Meeting is a terrific success, great speakers, and state of the art tax discussions combining tax experts, Tax Authorities and others. The event is transformed from an educational event to La Dolce Vita California (the Sweet Life CA style) by the Hilton Resort: gorgeous tropical grounds, a magnificent pool (which felt like Hawaii), and the adjacent Mission Bay Park which shimmered and glowed in the sun.

From sunrise to sunset (and for some up to midnight) the epicenter of CA athletic life flourishes: walking, running, biking, volleyball, kayaking, sailing, rowing, children play in the park on the jungle gym (everything but surfers who need to go several miles away to the glorious San Diego sun drenched beaches).

The State Bar Tax Meeting ends and I am not leaving. Start swimming in the pool, working out on the bike path, drinking champagne at the bar, eating Wagyu burgers (delicious), Ahi Tuna sliders and salads, egg white omelets and I am “hooked”. The Hilton is both secluded, out of the way, tropical and sophisticated.

What makes it very special are the extremely reasonable prices (where else in CA can you get a one bedroom suite for $189)? In addition, the superb staff whose ebullience, joy and warmth and charm reflect superior management of the Hotel. From the housekeeping staff (Anna and Lee) to the Restaurant Hostesses (Emma and Amy) to the Restaurant Manager at Acqua, Ronald Quiroz, formerly with the Ritz Carlton Washington, DC you are surrounded by helpful consummate professionals.

I was particularly impressed with the Acqua Restaurant whose food favorably compares to the 5 star restaurants in the best hotels and in Beverly Hills where I reside. Ronald Quiroz has a great way of making you feel welcome. The Chef, Hermann Schafer, one of a kind dishes are art and pleasure (and like his fellow Austrian chef, Wolfgang Puck, takes food to “a whole other level”).

So for all of you road warriors, travelers and Californiphiles, add the Hilton San Diego Resort and Spa to your “bucket list” of hotel experiences, and in the words of Lou Reed “Take a walk on the wild side”.

Go to the bar, have a glass of Laurent Perrier champagne, sit on the outdoor deck on a sun drenched day or a moonlit night enjoy their fabulous cuisine and “think of me”. If you can find a better experience in CA send me an e-mail I will meet you there. For now consider this review an invitation to check into HILTON “Hotel California” and in the words of the Beach Boys enjoy “FUN, FUN, FUN”.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
HiltonMissionBay, General Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2016

WOW, what a wonderful Tripadvisor review and recommendation for our hotel. Thank you, Gary! I'm very fortunate to call the Hilton San Diego Resort and Spa my work place. Our site inspires health, creativity, and smiles and directly reflects in the hospitality of our amazing team! It's fantastic to read such an inspiring review from one of our guests, affirming what we are so fortunate to share with our visitors. I look forward to sharing your incredible words with Ana, Lee, Emma, Amy, Ronald, and Chef! Please do not hesitate to contact our management team directly the next you're wheels are hitting the pavement south bound. It would be an honor to provide you with a return visit that rivals this one.

All the best and congratulations on your newest book!

Reviewed November 2, 2016

Very in satisfied! Over paid and was very loud. Changed rooms, and still not any better. People were smoking pot, using Voulger language etc. it was supposed to be a romantic getaway for my wife and my 20 years of marriage. Will never go back

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank kevinbZ9198IY
HiltonMissionBay, General Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2016

Dear kevinbZ9198IY,

Please accept our apologies for a less than exceptional and romantic visit. We're very sorry our neighboring guests were violating our hotel policy during your visit. We work very hard to enforce our policy to ensure all of our guests are comfortable. It's disheartening when we fall short of our valued guests expectations. We can't undo what you experienced while with us, but we hope you will consider giving us another chance to prove our overall guest experience comments are those featuring relaxation and comfort, coupled with a value for our caring and knowledgeable team eager to make your stay extra special.

Reviewed November 1, 2016

San Diego was so beautiful that my husband and I paid to extend our stay an extra day. Since we weren't planning on staying, we checked out of our original hotel and decided to stay close to the airport. Because we are familiar with the Hilton brand, we chose the Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa. The view of the marina from our window was AMAZING and the our stay was totally RELAXING.

Room tip: Higher floors have better views
Date of stay: September 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear andrearZ1465FF,

We're so glad to hear how much you enjoyed our beautiful city! With so much to do and see onsite and just beyond, we would love for the opportunity to host you again in the near future! Please do not hesitate to contact us directly the next time you are headed our way. It would be a pleasure to assist you with a stay and itinerary that we're sure would exceed your expectations and leave you with a lifetime of memorable experiences! Anything we can do would be our pleasure.

Warmest regards,

ELIZABETH MELENDEZ
Hotel Manager

Reviewed October 31, 2016

Below average resort. Expensive, as well. Restaurant food is overpriced. Not great food. They also charge $36 a day to self park your car. On top of that there is a $25 resort fees. Then all kinds of fees will be charged to your credit card. Nothing special about the rooms. Quality Inn type of rooms. Not going back there again.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
4  Thank benzminosajr
HiltonMissionBay, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2016

Dear benzminosajr,

Please accept our apologies for a less than exceptional experience. The only surprises we want for our guests are those of delight. We are sensitive to budgets of our prospective visitors and work hard to be transparent and forthright about our fees during the booking process. From your review it sounds like this was not the case. This is disheartening and we want to make the necessary adjustments to ensure communication to our valued guests is inline with our goals. We hope that you will consider reaching out to a member of our management team to share your particular circumstances during your booking process. Thank you for your consideration and for giving us the opportunity to welcome you to San Diego.

ELIZABETH MELENDEZ
Hotel Manager

Reviewed October 30, 2016 via mobile

Worst Internet access of any hotel I've ever stayed at. They gave us several different ways to access, all disappointing. Even the operator admitted, "our baud rate is not what it should be." At a HILTON? C'mon, you're not Motel 6.
At the high room rate, exorbitant parking fee ($39@night), no free shuttle to anywhere, the least you could offer is decent standard Internet.

Decor felt dated, upkeep so-so. Surprised at this, given the price. Staff was pleasant. Food fine, but overpriced and very limited variety. No other restaurants within walking distance, so by the end of 8 days we couldn't wait to escape.

Lovely pool and hot tubs, cool fire pits. "Beach" description is pushing it, actually small strip of sand on the bay.

Trip type: Travelled on business
HiltonMissionBay, General Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2016

Dear APL52,

We're glad our team provided you with the warm hospitality we are known for and our resort amenities and unique rooms with fire pits were a value to your over all stay. Please accept our apologies for the technical issues we were experiencing while you were onsite. Our bod rate is typically never used past 75% of capacity and is more than enough for our guests when functioning properly. I'm sorry for the confusion that was given to you regarding this issue and we hope you will consider a return visit should your travels bring you back our way.