“Not Your Best Choice in Del Mar - Needs Updating”

Hampton Inn San Diego/Del Mar
Ranked #73 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Check-in: When we arrived at 1pm, the couple in front of me was checked in and was given a room. When I tried to check-in I was told my room type was not available yet and would not be available until after 3pm.

Upon returning at 3pm, I asked for a quiet room and they said they had no complaints about the room they were giving us. Then we went to look for the room and it was right behind us (across from the main desk - Room 107). We went in and it faced the swimming pool area and the room had a smell. We went back out to the desk and told them it was not acceptable and they then gave us Room 241, overlooking the hotel driveway entrance.

Room Location/type: Room 107 was not acceptable and we were switched to room 241. The room had no refrigerator or microwave available. When we complained they delivered a small refrigerator (at no charge) to the room. It did not appear, from checking room availability directly on-line, that this hotel has queen size beds available. The only rooms I could find on the hotel web site were Two Double Beds or Single King Bed rooms.

Heating/cooling systems: The AC was loud on high and we ran the fan on low. When the compressor came on there was a very loud vibration, even on low fan. After the third night we reported the vibration problem and the loud vibration issue was resolved.

Working order of bathroom: The only issue I found with the bathroom was the WaterPic shower head. I could not get the head adjustment to turn in any direction. The head needs to be replaced.

Staff (service, attitude, etc.): The counter staff were very nice. The only problem I had was with Joni, the hotel manager, upon check out. I told her I was not 100% Satisfied with the first three nights and the manager would only comp me for the last night of our stay. She stated that – “That was their policy, the last night only.” I told her that I didn’t have a problem with the last night, just the first three. I told her the last night was at a lower room rate than the nights I had a problem. She stood by her policy, only the last night of my stay would be refunded. So I asked her – “Do I have to take up the issue for the other nights guarantee with corporate?” She answered yes. Which I did when I returned home, the Corporate Office is sending me a refund for the first two nights.

I also have to say, the Corporate Office staff was Great in their customer service support. They know the meaning of customer satisfaction. The same should be taught to the local hotel Management Staff.

Free Complementary Hot Breakfast: The hot buffet need to have Hot Food put into it. The eggs were room temperature to cold on the inside. I had a cheese omelet that was warm on the outside and cold on the inside. The bagels were a day to two day old packaged bagels (Note: There is a Einstein’s bagel store just a mile north of the hotel in the shopping center). Bananas were brown spotted and the Orange Juice was sour, may have been old.

My Fiancée drinks milk, so I had to pour some from the carafe at the coffee station. She said it tasted like the milk was outdated. There are no containers of milk available for children either.

There is construction of a building going on next door to the hotel, so workers have a clear view of the pool area. Also, the pool area is right next to the entrance. So if you want any kind of privacy in the pool area, pick another hotel.

You can find a large Shopping Center up the hill, about a mile north of this hotel.

There is a Hilton Double-Tree (East) and a Marriot Hotel (North) across the street from this hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 107, it across from the check-in desk. Ask for a room facing the Marriot, it is away fro...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Engineer_Lou

Reviewed 4 September 2012

We have stayed here many times during the last four years while our son was going to UCSD. It is an easy on and off the fwy. It only takes 5 minutes to get up on to the campus. There is no parking fee like all the hotels in La Jolla and I think easier to get too. They also have underground parking in a locked garage.

Room Tip: Ask for the non fwy side of the building.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank 4Tambo
Reviewed 20 August 2012

This was our first Hampton Inn, landed late in San Diego, 17 miles north. great room, fantastic breakfast, did exactly what it said on the tin. Our only problem was getting to it, needed better signs from freeway. Underground parking a real advantage for tired traveller. Will stay again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peter_Dawes
Reviewed 18 July 2012

I stay at this Hampton a few times a year and find it adequate, although of a lower quality than the top tier Hamptons (Oklahoma City Bricktown, East Aurora NY, etc). The air conditioner is noisy, there are no sheer curtains on the windows so your choice is darkness or visibility from passers-by, the shower faucet may be slightly askew, and no decaf coffee in the room.

These are small things but show a lack of attention to detail. On the positive side, the location is freeway-friendly, the parking is free, and the shower drains rapidly. I'll stay here again but won't expect as luxurious an experience as other Hamptons provide.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Member3
Reviewed 16 July 2012

This Hampton Inn is right off the 56 and the 5 freeways. It's clean and the beds are comfortable. (although 2 in a double bed is tight). The linens and pillows are very comfortable as well. The complimentary breakfast is top notch. I would highly recommend this hotel but keep in mind it is a bit of a drive to the beach.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 July 2012

We were given a room on the ground floor, which was very convenient. The room was large and nice. Had generally good options for breakfast. Not having a washing machine in the hotel to be used by guests was missed, especially if someone is staying for about a week.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank adi_at_ccu
Reviewed 27 June 2012

This is this most disappointing Hampton Inn I've stayed in. They are 10 years behind the rest of the world. The rooms have no fridge, they still use the crap wall AC units, the toilet barely flushes, and the lights are on motion-detector timers and shut off after a period of time. I understand saving energy, but I also would like not to trip over furniture in the dark trying to navigate an unfamiliar hotel room.

The pool is not much larger than a large jacuzzi, and faces the parking lot! The wi- fi is the slowest I have ever encountered, and I travel quite a bit. This is a huge negative for business travelers. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business