“Peace of mind for my soul :)”
Review of Dolphin Motel

Dolphin Motel
Ranked #41 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 14 April 2012

It wasn't easy figuring out hotels and mapping out college tour visits---from the Bay Area, for myself and my two teenagers on spring break. We stayed at 3 different hotels and I was most interested in this one, after reading this wonderful reviews. After our 2nd hotel on first st. in Azusa (Rodeway Inn) where I felt scared for our lives (somehow the handful of reviews were positive) it was SUCH A RELIEF to come to Dolphin Inn for 2 nights and have that "peace of mind for my soul" in feeling safe, taken care of, and the layout is like a little community. The rooms were cute and clean and quiet. Breakfast was just right for us and appreciated. We arrived from the UCSD tour in pouring down rain and one of the Housekeepers who was outside at that moment offered us HER umbrella. We didn't need it, but that gesture warmed my heart. Of course we appreciated the affordable price too, fit just right into our budget. I agree with all the other reviews, but feeling safe (and relaxed) was the best PLUS for me.

Room Tip: Room 28 has a nice balcony area, and is out of the way, on the corner.
1  Thank Debbie v
DolphinMotel, TOM, Desk Clerk at Dolphin Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2012

Thank you Debbie for visiting our little motel
On behalf of the owners and all our staff, we appreciate nice folks like you guys who gave us a chance.
Our biggest room is the once you were staying in Room 28
There is always a staff on duty if you have any needs. We also have surveillance 24/7 on property although Point loma is a predominently uppper-middle class to upper class neighborhood
Your every concern will be addressed.
Mnay thanks for a pleasant stay with us and hope to see you again!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,121)

Reviewed 13 April 2012

The good: After much searching for a cheap hotel in San Diego that was in a decent location it brought me to the Dolphin Motel. The staff here are very friendly and print things for you and also help you out with any problems you have. The location is great and parking is free. You are around 5-10 minutes from downtown San Diego and all the attractions. The breakfast was okay- we had some muffins,coffee,yogurt, and orange juice but it was okay. Most importantly, the price was great and it is very clean.
The bad: The rooms are not very soundproof. I stayed on the 1st floor and was able to hear a lot of the footsteps from the room above me so that was a bit annoying. Also, if someone was outside your room talking you could hear them without much of a problem. I think that if the hotel was quieter i would have given it a 5 star rating.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank justinbbfc
DolphinMotel, Owner at Dolphin Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2012

Thank you justinbbfc for writing us a review
You are correct, our rooms are not big and we are an older motel.
With the noise, please notify our 24 hour staff on duty and we can ask the other guests to quiet down. We do have quiet time after 9pm due to our rooms being small.
You were staying on one of our busy nights during the weekend and a holiday. This happens when we fill up.
I thank you for writing about us from both perspectives as all places have both good & bad. Hope you come back to San Diego on vacation in the future. Call us early as well so we can give you our upstairs rooms, they are very popular and less noise from people above.

Reviewed 10 April 2012

Thanks to Tripadvisor, I had the opportunity to spend two nights this week at the Dolphin Motel. As advertised, the rooms are small and the amenities are basic, but saying that, it is probably one of the cleanest, most comfortable rooms I have experienced at any price. Good bed, pillows, and showers -- and a quiet room - not always the case at rooms 4x the price!!! Hanging out waiting for my daughter and enjoying the (free) breakfast on Easter Sunday morning, the owner was there handing out candy to the kids - nice touch! The staff took extra care at every opportunity, and are clearly committed to making each guest's experience a positive one. Highly recommended!

3  Thank URKMB
DolphinMotel, Owner at Dolphin Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2012

It's been a pleasure having you guys. Your daughter was a darling! She definitely put a smile on to Holly's (the owner) day.
We'll see you next time you come down south to our little corner of California!

Reviewed 8 April 2012

This place is in close proximity to all famous localities like the cabrilli monument, old town, La Jolla shores and the airport! Their rooms are neat, clean and offers excellent value for your price. In addition to the morning breakfast, which is free of cost, the owners and the employees are extremely helpful in so many different levels.

What shocked me the most is the fact that they only charge almost half as much as the marriots and holiday inns even during the busy season. I would 100% recommend this place for both individuals and family members. You guys are simply amazing.

Sethu from Lowell, MA

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Sethumadhavan R
DolphinMotel, TOM, Desk Clerk at Dolphin Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2012

Hello Sethu!
I love La Jolla, that's my favorite place to visit when I have time, and I always recommend it to guests who visit the front office. i try to not steal Holly's recommendations which is Cabrillo National Monument which is just a 10 minutes drive at the end of Point Loma. It has the best view of the downtown area and all the military bases/vessels we have. Occasionally you also see a submarine!

Reviewed 8 April 2012

we stayed at the dolphin motel for 5 nights. The room was a good size, with a good bathroom, very comfortable bed, a/c and cable TV. The room was spotless and was cleaned every day. A breakfast of muffins, fruit, coffee, juice & yogurt was included. Staff were really friendly & helpful, in fact one day we were at the bus stop and the owner came out and insisted driving us to the beach and he stopped to show us a few places of interest on the way! A good location with bars & restaurants within 5 minutes walk, and if you don't have a car, like us the bus stop is 2 minutes away and links with the trolley to downtown etc. Cant imagine you will find a better place to stay for the money in San Diego

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mpbmpb

Why hello again guys!
We're glad you walked across the street and tried Point Loma Seafoods, we've never had a complaint about that place and it is the local favorite for seafood. We also recommend Miguel's (which is Mexican food).
If I remember correctly, you guys stayed on top of the office upstairs. it was our pleasure having you here and hope you make San Diego a part of your destination the next time you make a run around the world!

Reviewed 7 April 2012

a very nice hotel, but maybe less so for business travelers. I needed to do a bit of work at nights and found the lack of a desk a bit difficult. there is a small portable wooden table but really would have needed a desk and a more comfortable chair to sit on and write. Coffee in the room would have been good and walls are a bit thin, I could hear my neighbors who were talking at a normal volume. Overall this is a good hotel for a holiday, but I probably would pick another if I come for business again. Against the flaws I mentioned, the staff are very helpful, the place is clean, and its always good to support a family run place as opposed to a faceless corporation. Highly recommended for a holiday, not so much for a business traveller.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank PremBudapest
DolphinMotel, Owner at Dolphin Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2012

Hello Budapest,
Thank you for your kind and honest review. It helps other travelers and gives an honest snapshot of our motel (which is good for us too). It is true that we do not get many corporate travelers, whose corporations pay for their stays at the fancier, pricier, (coffee in room, etc) chain hotels. We do have a long time established clientele of budget conscious small business owners, many of them women, who feel safe that stay with us. Point Loma is a nice area and we have a 24 hour caring staff.

Hope things are going well for you in Budapest and hope to see you again, this time on holiday.

Best regards,
Alan Murdock, owner

Reviewed 6 April 2012

We stayed at Dolphin's from April 2 to April 5. At first, my husband, of course, had had some doubts about how a motel could be good with this kind of price in an expensive city. In the end of the trip, he said we should come back here again. And the experience also motivates me to search for similar motels in cities we would like to visit in the future.

Yes, the room is very small, but we visit SD not to stay in a room nor to watch TV. We went out to have fun and came back to the place to shower, to prepare for the next day and to sleep. The breakfast was good. My son (and my husband) loved the chocolate muffins. The microwave was kinda slow, but it probably only bothered those, i.e., me, who wanted a 'quick' cup of 'really hot' tea. Then another tea drinker showed me the trick to use it, so the microwave did not bother me again. The outdoor atmosphere really brings travelers together. We saw many foreign travelers there and learned about their experiences in the fresh air of a sea port. For us, that's what a nice travel is all about.

The motel provides everything one could possibly need in a trip, and more. You just need to ask. If you are used to everything ready in the room for you and cannot change, then this is not for you. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The owners were on site every morning, including the senior owner. Our room in the back building was very quiet. We did not have any troubles on anything in the room.

The location is super. 4 years ago when we visited SD the first time, we stayed in a boutique hotel downtown. Most of our activities were centered in downtown, old town, little Italy and Balboa where could be reached via buses and trolleys. We loved it. This time, we visited places both outside and inside of the beltway so we rent a car the whole time. We noticed that a fellow resident couple actually biked. (borrowed from the motel?) So we might want to try that next time.

Dolphin really provides everything we ask for. And in the near future, we would like to go back soon to see more SD.

2  Thank DHHK
DolphinMotel, TOM, Desk Clerk at Dolphin Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2012

Thank you soooooo much Daphne!
It was soooooo nice to have the 2 of you and your child stay with us.
You are very wise to invest time into doing research before your vacation like most of our guests these days.
And with some research you can get the most of your money and time.

I myself did some research before going to New York and Washington D.C. last year and found the best price and location for my 1 week stay. But very few family owned places.

Lastly, we do hope you will visit San Diego again in the future.