Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Anita R
San Francisco, California

Awesome all around!

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 4 weeks ago
Absolutely loved our stay at the Moxy San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter! This hotel is a breath of fresh air with its fun, quirky vibe and unbeatable location in the heart of the Gaslamp and lots of fun games in the lobby lounge.

From the moment I walked in, the friendly staff made me feel right at home. The lobby bar check-in is a unique touch that perfectly captures the hotel's playful spirit. Plus, getting drink tokens for being a guest was a nice bonus!

The room was small but incredibly well-designed, making the most of the space. It had everything I needed and was spotlessly clean. The bed was super comfortable, and the bathroom was modern and stylish.

The hotel's location is simply unbeatable. It's within walking distance of tons of amazing bars, restaurants, and shops. Plus, it's a short walk to Petco Park, making it the perfect choice for baseball fans.

I was really impressed with the level of service and attention to detail throughout my stay from everyone at the hotel. Special thanks to Madison - we definitely spent more time at the hotel bar because of her!

If you're looking for a fun, affordable, and centrally located hotel in San Diego, the Moxy is definitely the place to be!
Date of stay: May 2024
    C$122
13.4 km from Moxy San Diego Downtown / Gaslamp Quarter
Free parking
View more hotels in San Diego
All reviews welcome drink fun vibe donut bar marriott property ventilation system lobby bar gaslamp quarter checking in the gas lamp area first floor within walking distance comfortable rooms stay there again per night valet parking pros cons
Selected filters
Reviewed April 18, 2024

We wanted a hotel within walking distance of Petco Park to attend a concert, and this one was available for us to use a Bonvoy free night certificate. The hotel seems newish and the main lobby/public area is attractive. The location is excellent. Tons of restaurants, bars and entertainment all around, including a killer street taco place less than a block away (Tacos El Gordo) that is open very late.

However, it is clear that we (seniors) are not in the target demographic that Moxy seems to be going for. First, instead of a regular front desk to check in, you walk to the side of the very active bar to check in. All of the personnel are young and cheerful.

Second, the rooms are tiny. We just returned from a trip to a few countries in Europe and are used to small hotel rooms. But the European rooms we stayed in were all larger, and I can't recall staying in a smaller hotel room in the U.S. Aside from size, the room has no closet, no drawers, and no desk space. Instead of a covered wardrobe or armoire, there are just a series of hooks hanging on one side of the room, along with a couple of hangers. No safe, mini-fridge, coffeemaker, etc. The bathroom was a decent size and shower pressure adequate. The bed was very comfortable and the black-out curtains worked really well.

I do want to note that this doesn't mean the hotel looked or seemed cheap. The furnishings were in good shape. Moxy is clearly making specific design and space choices, just not ones that we might prefer.

We didn't eat breakfast at the hotel but did order very good lattes. And the younger folks at the bar and common areas seemed to be enjoying themselves.

Finally: parking in Gaslamp is at a premium. Moxy charges $58 (!). At check in, they give you a ticket with a QR code and advise you to use the code to request your car--giving them time to retrieve your car. On checking out, the QR code was not working. So, we took the ticket down and then had to wait over 10 minutes for our car to be retrieved from the basement of the hotel. That was a bit annoying, especially at the valet prices.

Date of stay: April 2024
1  Thank traveldan21
Reviewed March 5, 2024

We stayed here for one night and the valet service which they provided was the best I’ve ever encountered! They were quick to grab my car when we checked out. And they were very courteous and professional, calling me by my name. They didn’t expect a tip and were genuinely concerned with how my overall trip went.

Date of stay: March 2024
Reviewed January 26, 2024 via mobile

The staff was wonderful. I wish that I could remember all of the names. Carlos and Louise were great. Plus, many others. Super fun bartenders, they made me feel welcome while traveling alone during the holidays.

The rooms are smaller, but it was perfect for me. Everything was clean. The free coffee was a nice touch. Plenty of things to walk to nearby.

It's a great hotel for solo travelers. I will definitely return.

Date of stay: December 2023
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed January 19, 2024

I'm conflicted about this hotel. On one hand it is super funky, casual and has a fun vibe BUT on the other hand there are some things that I feel should be shared so you know what you are getting into. First, the staff is very friendly and accommodating but they need to get on the same page. From reservation details to simple food questions. I was told I could cancel my last night with no charge and then was told to check my confirmation when I did checkout early. I was charged anyway! Why waste my time packing up early for them to turn the room when I was being charged anyway. The reason I checked with the front desk is then to make an informed decision. I'm not trying to get out of obligations, but I planned around what I was told by a live person at the property. I'm on the higher tier membership with Mariott so sometimes exceptions are able to be made. When I pointed this out the employee that said no problem was sitting on the side and kind of just shrugged her shoulders. Also, they don't know the menu in detail. All employees should know the food menu and what is included with each menu item. The menu is not that big. Also, I don't need to know all the drama with the staff. Staff should not be allowed to sit at the same bar with customers and discuss company issues. These are all training issues and if you are claiming to be part of a Marriott, this is unacceptable to business guests.

The noise from the street on 6th street is loud until 2am if your room is facing in that direction, which they called an upgrade. It's in a fun area, but not ideal if you need a good night of rest. The location is in the heart of Gaslamp one block from 5th street, so that was fun. The rooms are on the small side. I was traveling alone so it worked, but two of us in that room would have felt really small. Free coffee and a free drink. The drinks were good! The gym serves its purpose. All in all it has a fun vibe but sadly I wouldn't stay here again for business. BTW they are cashless.

Date of stay: January 2024
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed December 20, 2023

After getting a room here I wanted to visit all of the Moxy locations. Moxy San Diego Gaslamp is one of the best experiences. I was able to walk downtown and enjoy the festivities after the baseball game and visit some bars for good eats. The hotel itself was clean and compact; perfect for a single traveler. And the downstairs bar with speakeasy made the stay even more enjoyable.

Date of stay: June 2023