“Bice Is Closed !”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 4th Street
Description: For those on a quest to find the best Italian fine dining San Diego has to offer, you've come to the right place. Nestled in the lively and cultured Downtown San Diego Gaslamp District, just three blocks away from the San Diego Convention Center, BiCE presents an award-winning dining experience with a sophisticated menu that will take your senses on a delectable tour of Italy - all without leaving the twinkling skyline of Downtown San Diego. BiCE combines the comforts of true Italian hospitality, the wholesome ingredients of a real Italian marketplace, and the culinary innovation of the finest Italian chefs for a unique dining experience, unlike any Downtown San Diego restaurants you've tried before.
Reviewed August 4, 2017

Unfortunately Bice San Diego is now CLOSED ! Last night was it's last open night. Very sad to see this 5 start restaurant CLOSE it's doors for good ! So Sorry to see you go Chef Mario !

Reviewed June 9, 2017 via mobile

We went for a romantic dinner to Bice. I am a vegan and asked the chef for something customized. The pasta served was really amazing and something to remember. Mist visit if you are in Gaslamp quarters.

Go for their in house cheese tasting.

Reviewed May 10, 2017

I was wandering around the Gaslamp district and literally stumbled on this restaurant because it has such an attractive and classy, upscale looking facade.

When I entered it looked even more impressive on the inside. The decor reminded me of the best Manhattan restaurants. The lighting was perfect, the table settings gorgeous and the total ambience is understated elegance without pretensions.

I was very hungry and decided on a large selection of items. I had their very popular cheese tray(did the 3 selections of Burrata, Gorgonzola, Mozzarella) which exquisitely expressed intense, moderate and light cheese flavors/characters.

I also had the roasted vegetable salad featuring cannellini beans(a new favorite). My entree was their specialty: Filetto di Branzino(fresh seabass with tomatoes, herb truffle emulsion, caponata) which was memorably delicious as well as superbly presented on a cedar wood plank(nice touch).

For dessert, I had Lemon Sorbet and Godiva chocolate liqeur which complemented each other extremely well and crowned my evening with a warm fuzzy feeling lasting into the next day.

My waiter, Franchesca told me he is a native of Bologna. His performance was impeccable as well having a demeanor that made my dining experience truly extraordinary.

I can frankly state this was one of the 10 best dining experiences I've ever had.

The staff, food and ambience at Bice are truly in the category of best there is.

I recommend everyone that appreciates 10+ level restaurants try Bice out. Yes...it is worth some extra expense for those who appreciate the best quality.

Reviewed April 26, 2017

My husband and I had a wonderful meal at Bice restaurant last night and I wanted to thank them for their fabulous service and wonderful meal. I had the veal chop Milanese and my husband had the veal piccata. The veal chop was the most tender veal chop I have ever eaten! It was huge and my husband finished it. My husband loved his veal piccata and mashed potatoes. Everything is top quality at this restaurant: the bread delicious and fresh, the dipping sauces and cheese served with the bread was devine. The Tiramisu cake for dessert was outstanding. The serving staff was very friendly and everyone wished me a Happy Birthday from the moment I walked into the restaurant and when we left. It was a Tuesday night which sometimes makes a difference in a restaurant as no one was rushed (as compared to a Saturday night). We will return!

Reviewed April 9, 2017

My wife and I went to Bice Ristorante in downtown San Diego last night and enjoyed a great dinner. I had purchased a special total dinner coupon off the internet where we received 2 glasses of wine, a shared Appetizer or salad of our choice, two entrees of your choice, and a shared dessert. We were met at the front of the restaurant by Bice host Melissa P. , who was very nice as she lead us to our table and handed us our menus. Our server Giovanni Tartaglia from Italy, was incredibly nice and bubbly, as he answered all of our questions about the menu, and was great handling all of our needs during dinner. Fernando, Giovanni's assistant at our table also did a great job coming around often making sure we everything we needed. Bice's Manager for the night Indira Velazquez was also all over the restaurant helping everybody and doing anything to make everyone's experience at Bice Ristorante a great one. For our dinner starter, we had the Trio di Tartare di Pesce, which is a Trio of tartar / fresh ahi tuna / avocado / salmon / chives / sea bass / and citrus. It was very good ! For the main entrees my wife had the Costoletta di Vitello alla Milanese which is a huge pounded veal chop / milanese style / arugula / cherry tomato salad / and balsamic vinegar dressing. Just look at the picture I took of it, and you can see how good it was. I had the nightly special of a huge rib eye steak with mashed potatoes, grilled Asparagus, and tasty peppercorn sauce. The steak was cooked perfectly, and was very tender. For the shared dessert we had the Tortino al Pistacchio, which is a freshly baked to order molten pistachio & chocolate lava cake / raspberry sauce /and amarena ice cream It takes about 13 minutes for Bice to cook this fresh dessert, but it is worth it, because it is a great way to finish a wonderful dinner. If you want a great, fresh, delicious dinner, in a very friendly Italian setting, go to the Bice Ristorante, you will not be disappointed !