“Good, but not great”

Szechuan Mandarin Restaurant
Ranked #1,887 of 5,483 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed October 17, 2015

Our favorite Chinese restaurant has hit a slump so we gave this one a try. It's good, the servings were huge and the food was served piping hot. The service was excellent and the restaurant was very clean. The Mai Tais taste like they are made from a mix instead of fresh juice, so I wouldn't order one again. The food was on the salty side and my nose got stuffy like it does when I have sulfites from some wine, so maybe they put msg in their food.

Reviewed October 14, 2015

We had a group of 6 and were seated right away. Christine was our waitress and she really does a great job. This place has a full bar with a healthy pour. We didn't have to wait long for our food and it was all very delicious. They even made us a dish which wasn't on the menu but one our guests wanted to order it! Very nice spot.

Reviewed July 3, 2015

Visit during lunch hours for great prices and a LOT of food! We recommend the "platters" at lunch which include your main dish, salad and an egg roll or soup. We recommend: egg drop soup, kung pao sea bass and almond chicken. There is a full bar as well as an outside patio.

Reviewed November 20, 2014

I was in town visiting and this place had a review in the newspaper so though I would give it a try. The food was good but not the best Chinese. The pot stickers were good, the crab rangoons were flat and a little bit awkward to eat. Szechuan Chicken was good but with a very thick and heavy sauce, I am used to this dish being more of a dry preparation. The fish filets in black bean sauce were good - very generous portion - but again the sauce was very thick and heavy. A lot of Asians were dining there, perhaps there are secret menu items that are better and we just did not order the right things.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

This restaurant has been in business for over 30 years and is just two minutes north of the 8 freeway. We have tried several chinese restaurants in San Diego, but keep returning here as do most of their customers...We find the food to be consistently good; The seafood lo mein is my favorite--I am not a sweet and sour fan, but understand they do these dishes very well. Prcing is moderate, portions are generous with enough food to take home for the following night. They have a full bar and a good wine list. Atmosphere is casual, and not noisy.

1  Thank salesproSanDiego_Ca