“HORRIBLE ....” 2 of 5 bubbles

Heritage Inn San Diego Near Sea World
Ranked #224 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
“HORRIBLE ....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2011

We were going to be in town for one night and found this location for a cheap price through AAA. We requested a non smoking room, as I walked in thru the door the nasty odor of smoke smacked me in the face. I immediately turned on the ac and left for a night out in town hoping the smell eventually would go away.
I came back and it was still the same, I was so fed up That I gathered my belonging to check out. I expressed my concerns to the receptionist at the front deck and she offered to upgrade my room. I wa so disgusted, there was no way I was sleeping there. I requested a refund but she told me that because I checked in at 4:00 pm and it was now 12:00 am she couldn't do it. I gave her the keys and walked away. Never will I ever stay here again and do not recommend it, spend the extra cash for something decent.

• Stayed November 2011
2 Thank Kaligirl00

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2011

We were very close to cancelling our reservation before we checked in after reading some of the reviews other people had written. We decided not to and it was a good decision. Reception staff were very friendly; they even allowed us to check-in early. They were very helpful with directions too. Our room was good - very clean. There were a lot of families staying there while we were there. The area is a bit dodgy, but the hotel itself felt safe. Breakfast is only pastries but it was adequate. Some fresh fruit would have been a welcome addition. Good places to eat nearby and Sea World is only a 20 min walk away.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Junky87
Hayward, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2011

When I walked into my room thought it was decent looking...searched for bed bugs ok fine didnt find any went to bed & slept good. Next morning, I wake up there was BED BUGS just walking around on the sheets I picked up the covers and saw little baby ones too!!! eeeekkkkkk called the office right then and they said they will give me a diff room for one more night for cheap...I LEFT !!! what makes you think the other rooms dont have any??!!!

Room Tip: find a another hotel!!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank RaviKaur
laurencebergin, Manager at Heritage Inn San Diego Near Sea World, responded to this review, 7 September 2011
In response to this review, I would like to say that the Heritage Inn San Diego has a pest control program in place in order to keep our guest rooms pest free. Unfortunately, despite our best intentions, incidents such as this one will occur for reasons beyond our control. Once we became aware of this particular bed bug infestation we responded immediately and had the room treated by a professional pest control company. We will continue to be pro-active in this regard to minimize such occurrences in the future. We regret any inconvenience this may have caused to those involved.
Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2011

Booked this through priceline and it's a shame they would even have this hotel on there! Don't let the nice pictures fool you, they must have been take ages ago! Upon arrival the staff was rude and uninviting! I asked for a non smoking room and I got a smoking room. When I asked if I could change it, the lady rudely stated that they were full for the night. The smell of smoke was penetrated in the room. The bed was dented in the middle, uncomfortable, old, and found myself rolling in it throughout the night. The bedsheets were torn and overused. There was no hairdryer in the room, and was told I had to leave a $10 deposit at the front desk. They gave me an antique. The tv was jacked up, the surrounding felt unsafe and the complementary breakfast was just cheap coffee and yesterday's donuts that must have been on sale that morning. Not to mention that I woke up with what seemed like tick/ant bites all over my legs and ribs. They must have a bed bug problem and that is disgusting!! I can overlook a few things, but the service, the room, the smell, the bed, and the location were all terrible!! DON'T STAY HERE! Trust me! Spend a few more dollars and stay somewhere else!

• Stayed July 2011
4 Thank moychuntaro

Travellers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2011

The hotel is in a very frightening area. The lady in the office was outside texting, and smoking while my booking company was trying to reach them. It took over an hour for them to finally answer the phone. We needed two beds not just one. They said they did not have anymore rooms available. We lost almost $100, because they would not refund our first night. Thank goodness we drove instead of taking a shuttle or we would have been stranded! The rooms smelled really bad! We were in the room for two minutes, and ran out gasping for fresh air. Their pictures on the website looks nothing like the hotel. The parking lot looked very scary, I was afraid to park my car there. This hotel is rather expensive for the very low quality. Please stay away!

1 Thank krista1328
South Dakota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2011

Carpets were dirty - took a shower, stepped on the carpet, went back in the bathroom and left a dirty footprint. Got locked out of our room and had to get new keys - twice. Had to check out a hairdryer; when I used it, I blew a breaker - twice. Air conditioner was LOUD and woke us up every time it kicked on. Our beds were like sleeping on the floor while our friends' beds in another room creased everyone to the middle. There are 2 pillows on a queen bed, each being 12 inches by 12. Used condoms in the parking lot. Breakfast is a plain, tasteless pastry. Cost was relatively inexpensive but still not worth staying in this poor quality of a hotel. Go somewhere else!

1 Thank Craig O
Homestead, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2011

OK. Where do I begin? We arrive and the office has no bathroom for the public and directs my 7year old to a store across the street. We get into the room and the air conditioner is broken. During the time we are there we have a guy digging garbage out of the garbage bins. I can't let my kids go to the pool because there are people (about 15 people) doing beer bongs by the hot tub. I went with my son and people were eating in the hot tub dripping cheese, drinking beer and alcohol and smoking cigarettes. Yes there was a sign that stated it was not allowed but obviously not enforced. I called to ask a question about a local activity and the front desk said let me call you back but never did. 75% of the people I've seen or met on these grounds has had a beer or alcoholic drink in their hand (even at 8 am in the morning). The management is in the office texting instead of managing the grounds. It's filthy and rather frightening. People are living here (at the hotel) I'm not quite sure how that is working out but the doors of the rooms are often wide open with music, alcohol, swearing .... I haven't seen any drugs yet but I suspect it's just a matter of time. NOT FAMILY FRIENDLY!!!! BEWARE. If you are single or an alcoholic and just want to find a party-you will probably love it here. If you are a family looking to build family memories of a great vacation steer clear or be ready to spend some time teaching lots of lessons.

2 Thank Notsogood60739