“Luxury hotel - Bargain Price”

Omni San Diego Hotel
Ranked #20 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 13 June 2009

I booked a room through Priceline and could not have been more pleased with the Omni Hotel in San Diego. The location is perfect and the accomodations are first-rate. I followed the advice from other TripAdvisor members and joined Omni's Select Guest program. I called the hotel a couple of days prior to my arrival and they added my Select Guest number to the reservation.

When we arrived at about noon, I was pleased to be told that the room was ready -- I hadn't even asked for early check-in. The room was clean, well-appointed, and had a decent view, although it was not a bay view. My parents arrived later in the day, and had also booked on Priceline. I don't know if it was just luck of the draw but they got a room with a beautiful view of the bay. Perhaps the rooms with king beds are on the bay side of the hall and the doubles are on the other side??

With the Select Guest program we got free morning beverages and newspapers and also were able to have two items pressed for free (which was great because we were there for a wedding and I had my shirt pressed.) I also got free internet access.

Other people have commented about noise from the trains or adjoining rooms. We were on the 19th floor and didn't have any noise problems. Some people have also said the "louvered" panels in the bathroom make for lack of privacy. Our room didn't have the louvered panels -- it had a large sliding glass door. It was an unusual design, but wasn't a problem. My parents' room had the louvered panels and they didn't mention any bathroom privacy problems. Their room also had a small balcony with sliding doors and sculped carpet, while our room just had a window that opened slightly.

All of the staff members were very friendly and helpful. Every time I called for anything, the phone was answered on the first ring and I was greeted by name -- as cheesy as this may sound, I felt like royalty.

The neighborhood has great nightlife and lots of restaurants and attractions within walking distance. Follow the tips here and self-park in the garage across the street (6th and K Parkade). Even though we came and went quite a bit, we still saved a lot vs. what valet parking would have cost.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, especially with the bargain that I got on Priceline.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (4,594)

Reviewed 8 June 2009

If staying at an Omni Hotel, even if you plan no further stays at Omni's, it is to your advantage to go online before your stay to join their Omni Select Guest program. You get free in-room Internet, both wireless and wired if you prefer (saves you $9.95/day). You also get a free 0.5L bottle of Evian water your first night, free morning beverages each morning (if you request coffee, you get a big pitcher full), free clothes pressing, and 500 airline miles per stay. I think I got a better room as well (19th floor view of bay). Things I liked: in-room safe was large enough to hold my laptop computer, room had DVD player on TV and CD player on radio (plus radio had input for my mp3 player), Wolfgang Puck coffee and Earl Grey tea furnished with in-room coffee maker, 2-line cordless phones, outside window actually opens a bit, floor to ceiling windows, electric trolley goes right by hotel, and you can print your airline boarding pass for free in the business center (go up escalator from lobby and turn right - on business center PC's it says there is a charge, but if you look on the very bottom of the screen there is a button to click for free access to airline sites for printing your boarding pass). Things I did not like: in addition to the nice electric trolley cars on the tracks outside your windows there are long freight trains going by - blowing their horns as early as 4AM and as late as 11PM - beware if you are a light sleeper, I requested that towels not be changed and TV not be left on after turn-down service but they did it anyway, and they failed to provide my complementary beverages on my last morning.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank WisconsinVagabond
Reviewed 7 June 2009

WE just stayed from England for 5 nights as part of a 12 night SoCal trip with our 4 year old. I have been lucky enough to have stayed in many top hotels in Europe and NA when travelling with my work as well as on holiday with my husband and daughter and this Omni really ranks up there as probably one of the top 3 ever.The rooms are spacious,contemporary clean and well serviced.We had a great view. But most of all with a 4 yo the staff were fantastic - they could not do enough to help,right from check in to check out. My daughter loved the welcome pack,and - especially now we have moved to other hotels (see my other reviews!) which are not so forthcoming - the free refills and in fact first drinks in her "special cup" the hotel supplied made a huge difference.Being able to get warm milk or juice at any time for free made it so much easier.Plus the cookies in the lobby. They also charged very fairly for the food she actually ate at breakfast, as opposed to the "rack rate" of the food she chose. She loved the milk and cookies delivered the first night, and fernando the restaurant manager was brilliant.All the guests were also nice, and a real mixture of business and vacation.The only thing I could criticise, and its very minor, is that we would have preferred shower gel rather than solid soap (told you it was minor!) .The location was great and staff went out of their way.Pool was great, Select guest programme was the best loyalty program I have encountered. (and I have all the cards!) The concierge, especially Mark ,gave great advice and didnt try to sell us anything. Sadly, we probably wont have cause to visit san diego again, but on the basis of this visit I would search out Omnis every time.Just fantastic and made life so easy.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 June 2009

I stayed here out of chance; I live in San Diego and went to priceline to see if I could get a good deal for a weekend getaway. I was able to get this hotel for $77 a night ($259 on every other website). The staff was superb, very helpful, and very friendly. The rooms were clean and well decorated; There was a minibar that was well stocked, and we had a small balcony right over the rooftop pool. The concierege, belldesk, and valet were all extremely curetous and helpful. This seems more of a business hotel, as it is directly across from the convention center. I prefer the "boutique" hotels in San Diego (Ivy, Hard Rock, U.S Grant), but for this deal I would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2009

Stayed overnight for the bed and breakfast special while at a Padre Game. Hotel is great for ballpark access and walking to Gaslamp area. Room was very comfortable and clean. Our only 2 negative comments would be that the hotel offers evening turn down service, but it was not done in our room. Also, be advised that the sound control in this building is very poor. We could hear (and were awakened by) every shower or tub that went off next door, below or above our room. It sounded loud enough to be coming from our own bathroom!!! We have stayed in many high rise upscale hotels and never experienced this kind of loud plumbing disruption. The $30 overnight parking rate is very high, so park at the lot nearby for 1/2 the price. Views are great from the higher levels.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DMHappyTravel
Reviewed 24 May 2009

I'm sitting in my room on the 10th floor looking outside on downtown and it's a great view. I just did a quick workout at the gym and the facility was superb- better than Omni Hotel LA which I stayed at last night. The swimming pool was also way better.

Before you check in you should request to be an Omni Select guest (for free) and then get all the complimentary stuff. I'm going to get my shoes shined and 2 articles of clothing pressed tomorrow.

I learned something about the valet parking, if you really have $30 bucks to waste per day then do it. Otherwise do some research and find a nearby hotel. I found a hotel a block away called Ace parking and actually I found out that Omni Hotel basically just parks your car there. However, I'll be paying $11 tonight instead of $30. I will take the car out for the whole day tomorrow and park there at night.

Anyways, I don't think you really need your car if you stay at this hotel since it's right next to the USS Midway (something I'm interested in because I'm in the service) as well as the shopping center and a whole lot of other stuff.

In fact, there's music playing outside right now and it seems very upbeat, a big change from Omni Hotel LA - which in retrospect wasn't the best location for strolling around with my family.

Oh, did I mention you should get the Omni Select status to get free wireless too?

I'm on Day 8 of my West Coast Trip and this is the best hotel overall so far.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 May 2009

The service was perfect. The rooms were simply fabulous. Most parts of the city were easily accessible from here. Just a 10-15 minute drive from the airport. Did not have to spend more than 2 minutes at the reception both when coming in and when leaving. Staff were most helpful.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)