“Birthday Dinner offers free dinner that costs $60”

Boathouse Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Boathouse Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #883 of 5,244 Restaurants in San Diego
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Good for: View
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed January 21, 2018 via mobile

We were excited to go there the “free birthday dinner entree” dinner that the Boathouse advertises. I am not one for giveaways but we were both January babies and decided to try it.

The restaurant is on the harbor and has a nice view. The doors were closed tight though and the dinner desserts were served with flaming sparklers. Nice once in a while but every dessert had the place stinking of chemical smoke.

Next was the food. “Purchase required” was the caveat to the “free dinner”. Inedible coconut shrimp $17 appetizer. A soggy shared Ceasar salad with stale croutons. I had the sautéed cod with artichoke and my date had the prime rib. My cod was easily the toughest over cooked fish I’ve ever had. The prime rib was tasteless (how did they do that?) except for the super spicy horseradish sauce. The garlic mashed potato was a gummy lump and my coconut rice was dry and bland.

We each had a glass of mediocre wine and skipped dessert but were still astounded to see you dinner come to $60. We were reminded that we should tip based on the $80 value of the meal.

The service was adequate but uninspired. I was tempted to tip according to the “value” of this terrible meal but I remembered that there are hard working people behind this mess.

It was easy the worst meal of any cost. I wouldn’t be tempted to return even if the entire meal was free.

I don’t mind spending good money for a great dining experience. This was NOT that experience.

You’ve been warned

Reviewed January 19, 2018 via mobile

After a long day, we came here for supper. Chris, our waiter was super nice and attentive. The food was very good. I had the Ahi Tuna rare, Wife had a filet and Dad had shrimp linguini. All was great, cooked just right. Wife even said I did good job picking out the place. Definitly will come back.

Reviewed January 18, 2018 via mobile

Just stopped in for a quick appetizer and enjoyed the Ahi. Excellent presentation with a wonderful view of the sailboats. Service was very good as well.

Reviewed January 11, 2018

This place has been here for a while by the looks of it. It reminded me of going to the Yacht club with my parents in the 70s. The service was great and the food was very good. Prices wee a little higher than they should be but you have Great views of the marina. I would recommend going here for lunch or dinner.

1  Thank Lynn F
Reviewed January 3, 2018

My wife and son went on Thanksgiving. We were a bit disappointed at first that they did not have their full menu on Thanksgiving. But all of our selections turned out to be very good. My turkey dinner was as good as we could of made it at home. Next time in San Diego we want to return and sample from the full menu. Check their special on on certain nights. A real bargain.