“Indian Food in Little India”
Review of Ashoka The Great

Ashoka The Great
Ranked #1,454 of 5,194 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Buffet
Neighbourhood: Miramar
Reviewed April 25, 2016

Very nice place in a strip mall in Little India. Good variety of Indian dishes from various regions, from mild to spicy. Selection of Indian beers, small wine list. Everything we had was very good. The biryani dishes were excellent. Good value for the money.

Reviewed January 31, 2016

We have eaten at Ashoka twice and the experience was pretty similar. Although the restaurant is in a strip shopping center and the surroundings area is very commercial, the inside of the restaurant is a pleasant surprise. All the tables (white table clothes) are in one large room. I would guess they could seat around 40 or 50 parties easily. However, both times we went (early) it was not crowded at all. The service is prompt and the food is well prepared with generous portions. We over ordered both times. I would give five stars except the overall feel I get from the staff is just a little impersonal and the service is sort of "mechanical", I am not a big fan of Indian food, but I like this place and would go back.

Reviewed January 10, 2016

This is a pretty decent location with good options for both regular menu and buffet. We opted for the buffet and it was standard buffet with options for both veggies and non-veggies. The Navratan Kurma was really good.

Reviewed September 11, 2015

We just got home from here and I have to say for a first time visitor the experience was great. I have been wanting to try Indian food and Lamb. Have asked friends and looked at reviews and picked this place. Manual was our waiter and he was great from start to finish. As we were all novice to Indian food he was patient and informative with all questions. The food was brought promptly and fresh, water and drinks were topped off regularly and he was friendly the whole time.

As for the food I have never had lamb so ordered the Samosas both veggie and meat as appetizers. They are so large most of us were filled up before the main course got there. The lamb had great flavor and was not gamey tasting at all. The papadum and sauces were flavorful and the other reviews were correct the naan and especially the garlic naan was yummy. The Chicken curry, Vindalo and Lamb Palak were all good. Being able to control the spice level was great. The Lamb Biryani was good but the meat was a bit tough. For a first taste of the food and culture it was a great experience. I for one would like to go back and explore more of the menu. Others in my party were surprised that unless you get a thali the meals, rice and bread are charged separate. The prices are still reasonable with the portions provided.

As I said having never tried Indian before would recommend this place to others. We all ate off the menu as there was no buffet. We were there early and stayed for 2 hours without complaints or feeling like we were rushed. Also it was good to see other Indian people eating there as this indicates it is a great option.

1  Thank Betsy A
Reviewed August 10, 2015

We loved the breads - naan and keema naan were standouts. But the two chicken dishes we tried had very dry, flavorless chicken. The lamb was better, but still not great. The best main course was a vegetarian entree the waiter suggested as a replacement for the chicken biryani.