“The Best, Freshest Fish Market Seafood in San Diego”

Point Loma Seafoods
Ranked #43 of 4,987 Restaurants in San Diego
Price range: US$12 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Reviewed 6 April 2016 via mobile

My family discovered Point Loma Seafood in August 2012 when visiting La Jolla and it was so good we made a return visit that same trip. Now that we were in the know we again ate here on multiple occasions when visiting La Jolla in September 2015. Although there are many great restaurants in La Jolla the fish at Point Loma is SSOOO good it is worth the 15-20 minute drive.

To begin this is a true fish market w/ a huge selection of fresh fish for sale. However they also have a booming counter service restaurant business as well. Dining is simple and done on picnic tables both inside and out and it has pretty views of all the boats smack dab in the middle of the marina. But of course the real reason to visit is the fresh and simply prepared fish and seafood.

If they have the fried wild caught Alaskan halibut sandwich as a special you MUST get it. It is my wife's favorite fish sandwich in the world and she otherwise does not eat much fried food at all. It is simply prepared on oversized sourdough bread and home made tartar sauce and is amazing! It is also huge so you can split it easily if you want to try other items. Their house smoked salmons are all delicious and particularly their "squaw candy" sweetly smoked salmon I believe prepared w/ brown sugar or molasses. Their soups and chowders were all good full of fish, shrimp etc, the crab salad was fantastic, my kids loved their sushi and we also had excellent SD style fish tacos here too. Finally they have a nice selection of west coast micro brews on tap. Seriously, everything we had was fresh and delicious but the favorite was definitely the fried halibut sandwich.

One note - parking is terrible and you may have to wait it out for a spot so it may be worth sending someone inside to start with the ordering first. Also, they close early. I forget exactly when but I believe it was by 700/800 PM at the latest.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,203)

Reviewed 4 April 2016

This was remodeled since we had been there 7 years ago. It still has great seafood of course and you can not beat the view of watching the marina and airport activity.

Reviewed 2 April 2016

I love going to Point Loma Seafood -- I'll even deal with the traffic and poor parking situation to visit. Today, I was excited because they added a grilled seafood selection to the menu! My husband had grilled swordfish and it was delicious. I had fried shrimp and it was sweet, tender, and not overcooked. The French fries which can often be limp and bordering on cold were hot and perfect!
My request of PLS is that they deal with the outdoor tables -- there simply aren't enough tables for all of the visitors.

I don't know what PLS can do about it, since it is right on the water near H&M Sportfishing, so I doubt there is a solution. People DO need to be reminded NOT to feed the birds and the bird poop needs to be cleaned up. But, beyond the birds, it is a great local spot for lunch .

Reviewed 31 March 2016

Food was excellent, fresh and well priced. Service was good. The dinners come with fries and Cole slaw. I would definitely go back.

Reviewed 25 March 2016

We discovered this restaurant when we were checking in for a whale watching tour. A family we met on the tour raved about the restaurant. We decided to try it! We could not believe the choices of seafood. The food was excellent and prices were reasonable.