My mother and I had a little leak in a pipe on Labor Day, 2011 that damaged the hardwood floors and forced us to vacate for almost 2 months. We wanted to be close enough to home to keep an eye on the progress of the repairs and also be comfortable, and to me, that means being able to cook our meals. I am a local internet marketing consultant so I am all about checking reviews online before I make a decision about where to buy, eat, stay, etc. This particular had great reviews so we booked 2 suites. From the very first time we walked in, stressed, upset, and my mother almost in tears, we felt like we were home. All of the staff are so kind and generous, going out of their way to make sure guests have everything they could possibly need. There were a few who stuck out though, and in the best way possible. Stephanie made my mother feel sol much better, just by being attentive, chatting with her, getting to know her. She always asked how things were going at the house and made my mother really feel hat she cared about her welfare. The chaos of the demolition in her house was extremely stressful for her and being able to come back to Homewood Suites after being amidst the debris and the construction was like a balm to her. She was able to head upstairs after chatting with Stephanie or one of the other front desk staff and unwind for awhile before I brought dinner to her.
I am a night owl and got to know the staff who worked the afternoon and night shifts a bit better. Monica was, during the time we stayed, worked in the evenings and many times I would wander down and chat. because most of my work is dependent on having a good internet connection, when there were occasional issues, she bent over backward to find a solution, whether it was calling any one of the wonderful maintenance staff to trouble shoot, or running next door to find a cable I needed. These folks are so efficient, thoughtful and frankly, creative in the way they take care of their guests.
I have traveled a great deal in my time on the planet, as has my mother and we have both stayed in so many hotels, neither of us could even begin to count them. Out of all of them, we both agree this is the absolute best experience we have ever had . From the physical space, the rooms, the actual kitchen...really...with a stove,a dishwasher and a real refrigerator where I could actually cook, and did, every day, to the housekeepers, the maintenance guys, all of the front desk staff, especially Stephanie during the day, Monica in the evening (though she works during the day now) and Dan,my favorite night desk man, these people take pride of place and service to heart.
All of them, every last one of them, made what was a very unpleasant experience for my mother and me and turned it into a rather fun little adventure...one where we actually made friends and felt truly cared for. They wear many, many hats, wear them extremely well and are at home in all of them.
We are grateful we found them...and I have decided that the next time I need a vacation from my mother, I am running to my other home in Del Mar. Shhhhhh...don't tell her!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in Torrey Hills, near Torrey Pines Beach, the Homewood Suites by Hilton® San Diego-Del Mar was specially designed to provide you with a secluded, stress-free stay. Our contemporary studio, one-bedroom and two-bedroom suites provide a true residential feel with all the comforts and luxuries of home. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, Priceline, Travelocity.ca, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego-Del Mar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Homewood Suites San Diego-Del Mar Hotel San Diego
- Homewood San Diego
- San Diego Homewood Suites