“Great place for a large family to relax!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego-Del Mar

Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego-Del Mar
Ranked #11 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Denver, Colorado
“Great place for a large family to relax!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

Spring Break in San Diego to visit the zoo and Sea World. Enjoyed the hotel's extra space (2 bedroom suite) and great hot breakfast. Everything very clean and even though we were on the 4th floor (smoking areas, yuck!) The smell was not in our room, however, I would have appreciated being asked if why minded or were at least told that we were in the smoking section but did not find out until I asked why there smell of smoke in hallways. Anyway, staff very friendly and great service.

Room Tip: Avoid the 4th floor if not a smoker.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Dana123_12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Zug, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Had a great time in San Diego and this hotel was the best.
Nothing was too much bother for the staff.
Many thanks for a pleasant stay.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kevin R
Roseville, Ca
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

This is California and the smoking rooms must go! I will admit that it was my mistake when I went to choose this hotel that I picked a room on the top (4th) floor the day before I checked in via E-check in, not knowing it was smoking. I just find it hard to believe that properties have smoking rooms to begin with and on the top floor, which is desirable to many travelers.
I didn't realize my mistake until after I unpacked. The room did not smell that bad, but the hallway was atrocious. To the Hotel's credit, they did offer to move me the next day, but at that point I did not feel like packing up and moving.
The hotel is decent, but showing some signs of needing updating. Older cabinets, carpeting and cracking grout in bathtub.
I agree that not having wireless in the room is a little odd. The room was the standard Homewood Suites layout with nothing to make the property stand out. You do need a car for this location. Nothing around it at all.
The breakfast had a nice selection and the evening meals were not bad either.
Definitely a "can do" staff attitude as well. I was debating my rating, but as of now, I will still rate it as very good.

Room Tip: Avoid the 4th floor unless you smoke
3 Thank TravelingMan5989
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

My mother and I had a little leak in a pipe on Labor Day, 2011 that damaged the hardwood floors and forced us to vacate for almost 2 months. We wanted to be close enough to home to keep an eye on the progress of the repairs and also be comfortable, and to me, that means being able to cook our meals. I am a local internet marketing consultant so I am all about checking reviews online before I make a decision about where to buy, eat, stay, etc. This particular had great reviews so we booked 2 suites. From the very first time we walked in, stressed, upset, and my mother almost in tears, we felt like we were home. All of the staff are so kind and generous, going out of their way to make sure guests have everything they could possibly need. There were a few who stuck out though, and in the best way possible. Stephanie made my mother feel sol much better, just by being attentive, chatting with her, getting to know her. She always asked how things were going at the house and made my mother really feel hat she cared about her welfare. The chaos of the demolition in her house was extremely stressful for her and being able to come back to Homewood Suites after being amidst the debris and the construction was like a balm to her. She was able to head upstairs after chatting with Stephanie or one of the other front desk staff and unwind for awhile before I brought dinner to her.
I am a night owl and got to know the staff who worked the afternoon and night shifts a bit better. Monica was, during the time we stayed, worked in the evenings and many times I would wander down and chat. because most of my work is dependent on having a good internet connection, when there were occasional issues, she bent over backward to find a solution, whether it was calling any one of the wonderful maintenance staff to trouble shoot, or running next door to find a cable I needed. These folks are so efficient, thoughtful and frankly, creative in the way they take care of their guests.
I have traveled a great deal in my time on the planet, as has my mother and we have both stayed in so many hotels, neither of us could even begin to count them. Out of all of them, we both agree this is the absolute best experience we have ever had . From the physical space, the rooms, the actual kitchen...really...with a stove,a dishwasher and a real refrigerator where I could actually cook, and did, every day, to the housekeepers, the maintenance guys, all of the front desk staff, especially Stephanie during the day, Monica in the evening (though she works during the day now) and Dan,my favorite night desk man, these people take pride of place and service to heart.
All of them, every last one of them, made what was a very unpleasant experience for my mother and me and turned it into a rather fun little adventure...one where we actually made friends and felt truly cared for. They wear many, many hats, wear them extremely well and are at home in all of them.
We are grateful we found them...and I have decided that the next time I need a vacation from my mother, I am running to my other home in Del Mar. Shhhhhh...don't tell her!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Julie R
New Bern, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

Extended stay doing work in the San Diego area. From check in to check out the staff was superb. They have a really average breakfast buffet but the staff make sure that you have everything you need. They have a "welcome home" buffet from Monday through Thursday that is very good and can serve as a meal. The local restaurants are basically limited to the buffet and the Garden Inn restaurant next door so be ready to drive if you need anything else. I had two complaints during this stay; the Air Conditioning went out in my original room and there were two mornings where there was no hot water. I was there 2+weeks so this was minor really. Each was noted and my room was changed to one across the hall so the move was painless but the view changed from the pool to the parking lot. I have stayed here several times and will again.

Room Tip: Ask for one in the front on the third or fourth floor. They have a "pick you room" deal w...
1 Thank clloydm
Moore, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

I travel a lot for work; about 1 week a month. I only stay at Hilton's for their great rewards program; so I know Hilton pretty well. The Homewood Suites in Del Mar, CA is by far the best overall hotel. The staff is so great, you'd think they were all part owners (and i have never wanted to take the time to get on this site and write a review before). Last year i got sick, the front desk offered to bring me meals as well as a free VCR with a library of movies. This year, a boiler had gone out, so I had no hot water when I woke up. i went to the front desk who were very sincere and offered me a shower in their spa; which i planned on using during lunch. Only by lunch time, the boiler was back up to full speed. The manager asked if I needed anything else. I did need a haircut, so she booked me one. When i went in for the cut, they said i would get 50% off. Well the hair cut, shampoo and style was probably the best ever (when I got home, my wife said, "finally! a great haircut'). After the cut, I paid the 50% i owed and left the rest for a tip; about $20. When i returned to my room later that night, there was an envelope with a note from the manager saying, "Sir, sorry for the misunderstanding. Your service for today was compt. Please see attached". When I turned the letter over, there was my $20!!! This hotel truly cares more about their guest than making an extra buck. I'm so impressed; I’m bringing my whole family.

Room Tip: Ask for your room to face th pool. Their pool and hot tuv is great!
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

We've stayed here a few times before and it is still a great place. Nice clean hotel. Not too much to eat in the surrounding area though. The pool was closed for renovation while we were there, however the hotel emailed me about this in advance. You were allowed to use the pool at the Hilton Garden Inn next door but we did not take advantage of this. The nightly meal was good and breakfast was also good. There is ample seating in the breakfast area. I will return to this hotel in the future.

• Stayed March 2012