New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego-Del Mar

Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego-Del Mar
Ranked #11 of 283 Hotels in San Diego
Altadena, CA
“Back again, and will be back again!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

Simply my favorite hotel in the area. Next door’s Hilton Garden Inn, which offers a decent dinner and it is just across the Homewood Suites parking lot (they share). The breakfast at Homewood is substantial, the coffee decent and the rooms are spotless.

Love the beds. Plenty of pillows. Staff friendly, efficient and personable. Not my first stay here nor my last. I came here with my teenage daughter and hubby on a college road trip, but have stayed here for business too. I get free wifi with Hilton Honors.

Within minutes of major San Diego attractions and San Diego State University, but not “too close” if that makes sense. So free parking, not overloaded with people. My preference, may not be yours.

Room Tip: The front desk with give you plenty of maps of local attractions
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Korean first
Waterford, Pennsylvania, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

We had four people in our room and on our reservation yet hotel staff never gave enough towels or wash clothes. We had to ask everyday for more and sometimes we would get them and sometimes not. When we got to our room after long day of travel the sink in kitchen leaked all over kitchen floor. The only thing we really liked about this hotel was the included breakfast and related service staff of breakfast.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Central OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights on vacation and we were happy with the hotel overall. We had a king suite. Our room was clean and comfortable. The only odd thing was the layout with the bathroom door - if you opened the door from the toilet/shower area it nearly touched the sink outside - open carefully if you think someone might be brushing his teeth or plan to apologize for clobbering him with the door.

The crew at breakfast did a great job of keeping things cleaned and stocked though a little more variety for fresh fruit might have been nice. There were grapefruit and apples everyday. A couple days there were oranges and bananas. There were also make-your-own waffles, scrambled eggs, another hot selection that varied (sausage, potatoes, biscuits/gravy), oatmeal, yogurt, cereal, muffins, bread/bagels.

The noise level in the hotel was mixed. It was far enough from the highway that we didn't hear road noise, but we faced the courtyard with the pool so heard the revelers in the hot tub until they closed it down at 10 PM. The hallway doors were nice and tight, but the walls still pass quite a bit of sound - babies crying, people on the phone. One morning they started doing some very loud work in the hallway outside our room at 10 AM, one way to make sure we got out and about after a late night I guess.

The location worked well for us since we visited Legoland north in Carlsbad and spent time south in San Diego. The free internet in our room worked well, but wi-fi for the iPod would have been nice without having to go down to the lobby.

Room Tip: Second floor was nice, but if you face the pool don't plan to sleep before 10 PM if there are pe...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
RXD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

Good experience coming back a second time. Nice room, very comfortable. Front desk staff do a great job. Only strange thing is that when I left (at 3 AM) there was no one at the desk. I did get the receipt by e-mail the same day but still...

• Stayed March 2012
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

Spring Break in San Diego to visit the zoo and Sea World. Enjoyed the hotel's extra space (2 bedroom suite) and great hot breakfast. Everything very clean and even though we were on the 4th floor (smoking areas, yuck!) The smell was not in our room, however, I would have appreciated being asked if why minded or were at least told that we were in the smoking section but did not find out until I asked why there smell of smoke in hallways. Anyway, staff very friendly and great service.

Room Tip: Avoid the 4th floor if not a smoker.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Dana123_12
Zug, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Had a great time in San Diego and this hotel was the best.
Nothing was too much bother for the staff.
Many thanks for a pleasant stay.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kevin R
Roseville, Ca
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

This is California and the smoking rooms must go! I will admit that it was my mistake when I went to choose this hotel that I picked a room on the top (4th) floor the day before I checked in via E-check in, not knowing it was smoking. I just find it hard to believe that properties have smoking rooms to begin with and on the top floor, which is desirable to many travelers.
I didn't realize my mistake until after I unpacked. The room did not smell that bad, but the hallway was atrocious. To the Hotel's credit, they did offer to move me the next day, but at that point I did not feel like packing up and moving.
The hotel is decent, but showing some signs of needing updating. Older cabinets, carpeting and cracking grout in bathtub.
I agree that not having wireless in the room is a little odd. The room was the standard Homewood Suites layout with nothing to make the property stand out. You do need a car for this location. Nothing around it at all.
The breakfast had a nice selection and the evening meals were not bad either.
Definitely a "can do" staff attitude as well. I was debating my rating, but as of now, I will still rate it as very good.

Room Tip: Avoid the 4th floor unless you smoke
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business