“Great location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #109 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Zurich, Switzerland
“Great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

The hotel is in the Gaslamp distrit. If you want to find nice restaurants, bars and clubs this is the perfect place! The room is big, with a very confortable bed. You have a coffee machine to use free of charge. The staff is very nice and helpful. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank anamgarcia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

The Keating is the perfect combination of location, location, location (in the heart of the Gas Lamp District) and quiet retreat. It manages to make you feel like you are in a contemporary loft away from it all when you are in your room...yet you are in the center of everything. We walked everywhere and were just a few minutes from the zoo. The rooms are clean and sleek and even have a fabulous espresso machine free of charge. The beds are really comfortable. The amenties are well thought out and every detail makes you feel so cared for. The staff is polite and pleasant. All the hip-ness of of an Ian Schrager hotel, without the attitude. I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank BovaryB
Morro Bay, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2011

We stayed at the Keating because of a Travel Zoo coupon that we purchased for $239. which included a 2 night stay and one dinner. We were told that this represented a $500. plus value. The first disappointment when we arrived was being told by Valet staff that parking would cost $32. per night. This was not printed on the coupon nor at the website, so having arrived late in the evening and being unfamiliar with the local parking garages, we opted to use the valet service. We were shown to a very small room on the 4th floor. We knew that the decor had a unique, urban style, but we were disappointed that there was no table or chairs in the room, apart from the bed, wall desk, and desk chair under the windows. Mostly, we were unprepared for the constant noise which we heard from the bars and clubs surrounding the hotel. This went on until 2 AM., followed by construction sounds, busses, garbage trucks, and raucous street people below our windows, which were closed. Needless to say, we did not get any sleep. We requested a room change in the morning but were told that the only room left was the penthouse (at a $30) surcharge directly above our room. We declined and checked out and relocated to the delightful Bay Club and Marina on Shelter Island. Check out my review for same, which will be much more laudatory than this one! In the future, we will check out the Travel Zoo "deals" more carefully before we commit. I should mention that the staff at the Keating delivered "service with a smile" and was very accommodating.

Room Tip: Inside room might be quieter but I recommend you skip this hotel if you are looking for a quiet nigh...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
10 Thank 2Profs
Santa Barbara
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2011

This hotel is in a superb location, with the Gaslamp District literally outside your door. It's steps away from a multitude of choices in fine dining, clubs, bars, coffee houses, ice cream shops and so forth.

Our room had concrete floors, which we liked just fine. The shower is frosted glass, with no door and in the corner of the room. If you're shy, this might not be your first choice. The room comes stocked with a high end CD player, an iPod player, a flat screen TV and so forth, none of which we used.

It also has a simple to use espresso maker. Loved that feature and used it daily.

The staff is fabulous. They're happy and caring.

We'd definitely stay again.

Room Tip: We opted for a room off the street, assuming it would be quieter. It seemed to work out fine. One ti...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kbinsb
San Diego, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2011

I was there for 12 nights at the Penthouse floor. It is what most would consider an extended stay and so I feel this review should be considered before selecting this hotel. It's gonna be a long one but all events are truthful none exaggerated. I feel the information provided will be helpful. I work hard and play hard traveling throughout the world and so every few months I like to make the best of my vacations at all costs. I usually take 3 wks each time always go back to San Diego for a week or so being I have properties there and my toys and I like to check up on those things every few months. This recent vacation I took I went away to San Diego for 12 nights and then to The Dominican Republic for 13 days. (DR is a great place I highly recommend it) This review is directed towards those that like to "Live A Little" and really like to enjoy your vacation or getaway without worries.

I'm throwing in the star to the staff. My compliments to the staff you deal with personally. Four people that stuck out in my mind as great were Andra, Brandon, I believe the gentleman's name is parker sorry if I messed that up, and the other young lady that helped me secure information on bottle service at the hottest night clubs in Downtown San Diego the last weekend I was there. Kudos to you all.

The noise and other things others have complained about didn't bother me after I put on my earplugs being I knew what I was getting into as I read the reviews. Not a problem there. If in San Diego depending on the season I stay at The Gas Lamp or Mission Beach. Being I stay at the Gas Lamp anyways this location was as good as others not OMG status as the reviews may say. I liked the room and cleanliness. The Housekeeping did an excellent job throughout my stay. I did make sure I called everyday on my way out though just in case not because it was necessary. My complaint about the room though is that because of the concrete floor it can get very cold. Be aware of that I'd prefer rug as it is more cozy but again this wasn't something I didn't know about just thought I would remind those as the cold will get colder :)

My two biggest complaints were the food and parking. Not so much the taste of the food though one night I ate at the restaurant downstairs and for an Italian place I though it would be more authentic and tasty. I'll give them the benefit of doubt and say that maybe it was the plate I ordered never the less I wasn't convinced and so I didn't return. I will say that at the restaurant the service and the wine were great. Of course at cost ;) All in all it is a classy place and a nice environment.

I did eat at the other option many times at The Keating and have to say I found it humorous. I like to think that most of the hotels I've chosen before are bigger with their own kitchens etc and so when I order something from my room at of course a higher price than I would get it down the street it usually comes fresh, crisp lettuce, tomatoes, cuts, made to order etc. Hey nothing agains room service I always get it I understand demand meets supply and yes I'd like for it to be prepared for me and delivered thank you ;) Well at The Keating, if you order from your room one not knowing would think the kitchen has received a call, your order placed, a slip has been created, cutting and dicing is now taking place. Actually, the items on the menu that are not served during the restaurant hours. Everything else like pizza, sandwiches etc that is not a la carte comes from this average, sandwich shop around the corner where the sandwich items are already cut and exposed, sandwiches and pizza prepared in a display case waiting for your call so that the "chef" can take it from the display box and toss it in the oven for a crisp toasty sensation ;P I found that humorous as once I learned that was the case my not so fresh 20 dollar pizza or 14 dollar sandwich were much more acceptable being if I walked downstairs myself I would only have to pay 6 bucks and get a free drink vice delivery chargers for something already there :) I mean it wasn't going to taste any different if I ordered it from the room or not. Again... just trying to enjoy each meal to the fullest while on vacation here not so much.

My other disappointing experience was the Hotel's parking I own two custom American Classic Cadillacs. A 1962 Cadillac Coupe DeVille and a 1966 Cadillac Coupe DeVille Convertible. These are no clunkers over 40k has gone into the customization and restoration of the 66 and about 20k to the 62. In other words. Everything is working as it did then or better on the vehicles. Attached are pictures.

This is where The Keating fails. Their parking is not managed by hotel staff. It is ran and managed by ACE parking staff. They've set up a large booth structure closest to the street in front of the hotel. They park public vehicles that pull up in search of parking for a night out in town etc. Here is where the personal relationship and responsibility that one would get at any hotel when handing the keys over to valet is LOST. THE FEAR is that ACE parks your vehicle at The Horton Plaza parking this plays into the fear that your rental, new sports car, classic, or car with valuables is exposed in public to not enough security, numerous floors of cars backing up, driving in and out independently potentially damaging your vehicle, or a crowded weekend with one or two thieves. Not to mention the lack of attention to detail by the arrangement of parking on The Keating's part.

THE NIGHTMARE: Where it fails is this valet finds themselves in a hurry running back and forth a block or two to park vehicles and try to attend the next customer to get a dollar or a tip that your car which you entrusted to valet was never really looked after or considered in the first place. They really didn't care. I asked the hotel staff to please make sure the car was parked under a roof. The answer was our parking compound is underground so I don't see why it wouldn't be. I said okay thank you but please make sure it is. "No problem sir we will" again this is where the lack of attention to detail and responsibility turned into an issue and could to you. If it happened to my vehicle a luxury classic car, a real looker, that gets compliments everywhere, people want to take pictures by it or of it, and is nothing but appreciated by the public. Why shouldn't it happen to the average luxury car you worked so hard for?

On my second or third night it got cloudy and rained for two days/nights. Earlier before the rain I had given my car to valet. Two nights/3 days later I was up downstairs early and asked for my car to begin my day as there was business I needed to attend to and the rain had cleared. I'm then asked to go help assist in turning on my car. Here is where I discovered the dirty little secret about the parking. Not only was my car nowhere near the hotel but they parked it on the outside lot of the Horton Plaza The reason was that the dual batteries were drained being the lights were left on at the time of parking. So somebody turned on the lights, drove my car away, parked it and walked away without bothering or look back to catch the lights left on. Not even a security guard saw it to notify the ACE staff. It was left unattended and unsupervised long enough to drain two Optima performance batteries.

This is where it really got ugly. Not only was the car not parked in the structure it was parked by the street and sidewalk, the lights left on, but the windows where NEVER ROLLED UP. So that morning I walk up to my car and when I open the doors the mats on the floor are covered in water, the carpet is a mush, the seats are wet and I am forced to get a jump after of course I move the knob to the off position with the big letters that read "LIGHTS."

I was a bit upset when I found a note inside the car that said. "Found at so and so time, on date (was two nights before) with the windows open and car unlocked. Must lock vehicle to secure items. Please call SDPD at 619-531-2000 if items are missing"

One of the hotel staff was shocked as he stood in front of what was a detailed car when I brought it in was now dirty, tree leaves, and soaked inside was just left out there for days/nights. He was shocked he offered the hotel to pay for the detailing. I welcomed the gesture and they did pay for it when I received the car days later but for me what was now a day of business turned into a day of taking it to the shops I've taken them to out of my own pocket to check for water damage under, and in the upholstery etc. I had to leave the car for a detailed inspection and detailing for four days. Fortunately there was no damage found at the time, of course we all know how moisture is to a 45 yr old classic. Of course this took away from me using the car on vacation with the top down on sunny days out around San Diego visiting friends and family as those are the things one looks forward to when far away from home.

I was very kind to the men and women of the hotel. Even under It was not their fault as it is the managements responsibility to oversee the subcontracted companies work. When I returned this is where management made a choice to make the guest feel unwelcome.

John Tso-etc should not be in charge of the high caliber men and women mentioned at the beginning of my review. My advice would be to learn something from the names listed above in guest relations and service.Upon my return with another car Management the name had directed to the hotel staff to not accept any vehicle that needed valet. So instead I was forced to drive a block or two away and park the vehicle myself at the Horton Plaza walk back to my hotel room to have to repeat the same in the morning when I started my day. The embarrassing part was with a guest and I pulled up to valet only to find out that they would not accept my car so I had to ask her to wait on the street as I had to go up two block inside the horton plaza to park my car. Inconvenient and definitely not welcoming. Was it me that chose to park my car or any car in the street away from secure parking leaving the lights on, doors unlocked on rainy days without even checking up on it to realize the lack of attention to detail? No it was not. It was not fair to me a guest that stayed over for an extended period of time to be treated that way. Especially being that every day after the 4th day that I parked my own car and went back and forth myself I was still charged the 30 something dollars for "valet service" and I was the one doing all the work. I could have gone a few blocks further and parked it for 15 dollars a day or even 20 at another spot but staying at the Gas Lamp and having two walk 2 blocks away from your hotel is long enough. Don't get me wrong all the ACE employees were not all bad there was a girl who was kind and a gentleman by the name of Raymundo that was very helpful towards the end of my stay and though I was notified by the hotel staff to park it myself and get it myself Raymundo really wanted to provide a service to the guest. That effort alone was worth a 20 dollar tip given to him for trying ;)

John maybe during your working hours being the car was out there for 3 days not to say you have to do it on your free time. Since you are part of management maybe you should do a drive through, or walk through in the hotel and verify the quality of service being provided to your guests or to you from the companies you contract to take care of a service to the customer. I wasn't just someone coming in for a weekend. I was someone actually living in, actively using the minibar, restaurants, amenities and services the hotel had to offer.

I've stayed at numerous hotels downtown for extensive stays as this to name a few The W, Marriot, US Grant, Hard Rock, The Andaz formerly the Ivy. It is because of these stays and experiences that I can say The Keating cannot compete with those other luxury names in the Gas Lamp area. Especially not with the actions mentioned taken by management. My recommendation to you is to choose another name if you really want that catering to you, extended friendly stay, that we all pay for in high end hotels. Hey you are only on vacation every few months or only get a chance to get away so often. Make the right choices and you will enjoy your time there :)

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
26 Thank SDONATRIPAGAIN
Escondido, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

I stayed here with my mom on a two night voucher through Travelzoo, and for the price we paid, it was a good deal. The hotel was definitely visually stunning, and the rooms were interesting to say the least, with a streamlined design and great amenities like a phone charger and mini-fridge. Beyond the style, however, there were several discomforts, like a cement floor, two twin beds as opposed to full or queen size, and an open shower in the room. The hotel is also right above a jazz club, which played live music until about 1am, keeping us up pretty late. The included breakfast was disappointing-granola came with melon in it, which I've never seen before, and blackberry yoplait yogurt. To avoid paying the $35 valet parking fee, we parked in a local lot for $20. On the other hand, however, the staff was extremely accomodating and friendly, and gave us a bottle of wine when we arrived. We also ate at the hotel's restaurant, Merk, which was delicious; I would recommend eating there even if you're just in downtown San Diego. Overall, it was good to experience, but I don't think I'd make a return visit.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank pankakes8
california
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2011

Great hotel good location walking distance to everything. Great staff. cool different room types. If your looking for peace and quiet dont stay here. If your looking to stay out until 2am. and party this your kind of place. Food at the Merk was excellent. Breakfast in bed each morning was a pleasent surprise.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple