“Hard Rock”

Ranked #39 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Rochester, New York
“Hard Rock”
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Week long stay at Hard Rock San Diego for Convention. The hotel is very nice, the staff was exceptional. Had a King Studio, by far the smallest 270.00 room I have ever stayed in, including NYC. No coffee maker in the room, had to go to lobby for coffee. Who wants to see my ugly mug in the beautiful lobby before getting costume on ! Hint to HR put coffee makers in rooms. Went to lobby bar for cocktail, over 20.00 for a drink and a beer ! ! Never stepped foot in there again ! ! I will no doubt NOT choose the Hard Rock again when I attend the convention next year. Other hotels in the same area offer much better in room amenities for the price.

Room Tip: Call the Marriot
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank sprinter41
Amanda H, Guest Relations Manager at Hard Rock Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, 8 March 2012
Thank you so much for your feedback. Our prices are competitive with other hotels in Downtown San Diego. Feel free to sign up for special promotions and discounts on our website to find great deals on our suites! I hope you’ll reconsider visiting us again next time you’re in the area. Thanks again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,101)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2012

On arrival my partner and I had to wait some time to check in. We were unaware that it is normal in the USA to have a 4pm check in (most UK hotels are 2pm). Unfortunately this was not communicated to us very well by check in staff. If the receptionist had advised us that our room would not be ready until 4pm we would have probably done some sight seeing. Instead we were told that the room should be ready soon so we decided to wait around in the bar. The room wasn't ready until 4pm, meaning that we had been waiting for two hours. Whilst I wouldn't expect that a room would be ready before check in, it would have preferable that we were told that it would be ready for 4pm rather than leading us to believe it may be ready sooner. This wasn't helped by how irritable we were from travelling. (We had been awake since 2am).
After we were let in to our room and we had unpacked it was late on in the day and we were only staying for 2 nights and so we were looking forward to using the pool the next day (our only full day in the resort). The room was clean and nicely decorated.
The next day, we went out in the morning and came back just after lunch to use the pool. Unfortunately we were advised on arrival that it had been hired out to a private party along with the poolside bar for the remainder of the day. This was extremely disappointing as I think hotel guests should really have priority use of the facilities.
We decided to go back out for the remainder of the afternoon and came back early evening and decided to go for drink in the downstairs bar. I was extremely annoyed to find out that this had also been hired out for the evening.
When checking out we were told that we had to pay a resort fee (this was a new term to me) and when I asked what it covered, the receptionist told me it covered the use of facilities. Given the limited access that we had to these, I think that the resort fee should not have been charged. I didn't have the energy to argue.
I was disappointed with my stay at the Hard Rock Hotel and I doubt I will be returning. The only saving grace was the valet staff, who were fantastically friendly and helpful.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lindstravels
Amanda H, Guest Relations Manager at Hard Rock Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Lindstravels, I agree that after a long day of traveling, all you want to do is relax in your room. I’m so sorry that the check in time was not thoroughly communicated to you at the Front Desk. It is frustrating that the pool was not open for you when you visited, and you should have been made aware of that as well. I’ve passed this feedback on to my team and we’ve already taken action to further improve our communication during the check in. I hope you’ll reconsider visiting us again next time you’re in the area, so you can enjoy all that we have to offer. Thank you for your review.
Reviewed 3 March 2012

If you're celebrating - this is upscale and fun! Clearly attractive to youth and the giddiness of their inexperience, relaxed, very San Diego. The staff handles immature drama graciously. No tension. Nice. It's located perfectly to the convention center. The marina is close by, Nobu is fantastic, the Float is fabulous. Most importantly it's right on 5th at the gateway to the gas lamp district which reminds me exactly of M street in Georgetown DC. Incredibly fun and accessible. Friendly staff. Polite but to the point. There is no discomfort at all staying here and being of "age" but be mindful this is an upscale late night party district on the weekends. So go stay in Del Mar if you're looking for solitude and quiet. The staff is down to earth and doesn't have affect just lots of expeditious people skills, even if they're too young to know a rock from a rolling stone.

Room Tip: Ask for the 12th floor to get some distance from the fourth floor if you're needing some rest...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Thanks for the great review. Did you check out our Stones memorabilia on the second floor? We love our Rock n Roll, and the true fans like you!
Alabama
Reviewed 3 March 2012

This hotel is located in the Gaslamp District in the downtown area and is just a block from Petco Park. There are 2 clubs and an adjacent restaurant, as well as a gift shop. The parking is expensive so we chose to park a block away in a parking garage, and it seemed to be safe. There are tons of shops and restaurants in walking distance. San Diego Zoo was just a short drive away. Corondo Island is also nearby and has great cityscapes views.

The hotel itself is very clean and probably one of the most interesting hotels that I have stayed in. The decor is very rock and roll, of course and the staff was friendly. I would recommend this hotel and would stay here again on my next trip to San Diego.

Room Tip: For a small fee we upgraded to a balcony suite. Totally worth the extra bucks.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Thanks for the recommendation. Next time, upgrade to a Rockstar Suite. You won’t be disappointed!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Wanna Party? Then this place is for you. This place scores high (probably best in San Diego) on Location, Style, Fun, Convenience, Coolness. Obviously if you're looking for a solid night's sleep and peaceful contemplation - you're barking up the wrong tree. It's more a place for micro-skirts and super-cars, bad tattoos and good music... You know, fun!
Think Bachelor/Bachelorette party. Think night on the town. Think living like a Rock Star craziness. All that said, I still slept well even with a 5th Ave. facing room.
Another top mark is for the service. Everybody was super nice and helpful. No snootiness sometimes associated with 'cool' hotels.
It's a party Hotel, and it does that well. So if you're in the mood to party anywhere between LA and Mexico - you can't do any better.

Room Tip: More quiet facing away from 5th ave, and the pool.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank SSAASSHHAA
Amanda H, Guest Relations Manager at Hard Rock Hotel San Diego, responded to this review, 2 March 2012
Remember to come back in the summer for the Intervention Pool Party. You’ll love it!
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 29 February 2012

First and foremost the HARD ROCK SAN DIEGO is one of the most unique hotels ive stayed in.. Beautiful property with awesome nightclubs(indoor and outdoor).. The staff was excellent!! Very courteous and always willing to fulfill the guest needs!! The rooms were great, I wasnt expecting much because it was a basic room. To my surprise it was much nicer and roomier than many other hotel room upgrades.. All in all excellent time, definately made the vacation that much better... Again the staff from A to Z was excellent!! Also great place to stay if you're on a budget.. Great ammenities for the money!!! Dont waste your time taking a chance else where and take it from me... You wont be unsatisfied!!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Richie B
Wow, thanks for the great review! We hope to see you again soon!
San Diego, California
Reviewed 29 February 2012

We stayed at the Hard Rock for my husbands birthday. Our check in was a fast and friendly. Our room was Awesome and we had a "Birthday Gift" sent to our room, which my husband loved! We had a Great time at Float drinks were perfect and the dancing was a blast. We will always go to the Hard Rock for our Celebration needs!!!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jessica S
Awesome! When is the next celebration?