Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
B L
New York City, New York

Poor service, don’t come here

1.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Dec 15, 2023
I checked in and there was an issue with the date (my reservation was for 3 nights but due to a mix up I Ended up checking in and staying for 2 nights). I was still charged for all 3. I was told to call Expedia to fix the mix up. I told them I booked through Amex and the manager kept on saying to call Expedia. I didn’t book through Expedia and the manager kept on telling me to talk to Expedia. Absolute ridiculous, manager was not empathetic and was condescending during this exchange.

No one mentioned my birthday even though I sent a message saying I was staying for my bday. Nothing in the room (not even a note) said it was for my bday. I mentioned it was my birthday at the front desk during check in and no one wished me a happy bday.

Then when we checked in they say they upgraded us due to our Amex benefits. The room did not seem like an upgrade and looked like the room class I had initially booked. I feel this is very dishonest practice.

Upon sitting on the couch in the room, my outfit was drenched with cleaning solution because the cushion was not dry. I also found a small loose screw on the ground which is alarming given our toddler was also staying with us. I arranged ahead of time to have a crib in the room (through Amex messaging) and when we entered the room also no crib was set up. Following turn down service, the crib blanket and sheets were not made and left in a crumbled mess when we entered the room.

When we called down for our car to be ready we had to wait because we were told no one told them we needed our car. Oh by the way valet is 70$ PER NIGHT.

This is poor service and disappointing. Nothing was great about our staying given all of these annoyances and I will never come back.
Date of stay: December 2023
Trip type: Travelled with family
Responded Jan 3, 2024
Thank you for your valuable review, as well as the very detailed notes we can take back to our leadership team to look into. Our Director of Guest Experience would like to chat with you and has sent you a private message about your stay. Thank you for staying with us, we look forward to being able to host you in the future.
C$505
    C$363
25.6 km from Fairmont Grand Del Mar
View more hotels in San Diego
2,388 results
All reviews amaya restaurant adult pool prado suite chocolate covered oreos four seasons tennis courts family pool star resort pool staff turn down service beautiful property southern california lobby bar rooms are large self park fitness center addison
Selected filters
Reviewed December 15, 2023

Everything about resort was top shelf and staff service was impeccable. We stayed 5 nights in a veranda room. Elegant surroundings and well decorated for holiday season. From the moment we arrived until time we left every staff member was gracious, helpful and attentive. Expensive but you get what you pay for. Facilities and services were commensurate with cost. Note - no self-parking and mandatory $70 per night valet charge. All in all, the premium experience was well worth the financial commitment.

Date of stay: December 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Joern Schwaiger, General Manager at Fairmont Grand Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2024

Thank you for your wonderful words and review, we look forward to hosting you again. Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed December 1, 2023

Beautiful hotel set on beautifully maintained property. The staff was obviously very well trained and warm. We would return often if we could. The spa is absolutely gorgeous. We enjoyed all of the amenities.

Room tip: Not inexpensive but you get exceptional service!
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Joern Schwaiger, General Manager at Fairmont Grand Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2023

Reviewed November 27, 2023

The Grand Del Mar is an excellent place to stay for a magical experience. It is definitely a 5 star accommodation! All staff are attentive to one’s every need, going above and beyond. The hotel and the grounds are so beautiful that it is like staying in another world.

Reviewed November 25, 2023

A very beautiful hotel, great staff and lots of amazing things to do at the hotel... It's a must visit if you are in San Diego... They have a very good concept called Grand Social where you can get Cabanas to sit , enjoy and socialize around the fire place... Overall a great value if you can get a good price for the room as its a bit costly...

Reviewed November 19, 2023

From the moment we stepped into the luxurious ambiance of the Fairmont Grand Del Mar, our experience was defined by exceptional service. The outstanding hospitality of servers Luke, Marisol, and Cannon seamlessly transcended our moments at the poolside cabana. Whether it was dining in the hotel's Amaya restaurant or enjoying other amenities, their attentive and friendly approach consistently elevated our experience. Manager Marc's effective leadership further contributed to the overall positive atmosphere. Together, this team ensured that every aspect of our stay was marked by exceptional hospitality and made our visit truly memorable.

Trip type: Travelled on business
Joern Schwaiger, General Manager at Fairmont Grand Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2023

Thank you for your wonderful words! As well as thank you for staying with us, and we look forward to hosting you again soon.