“Perfect”

Ranked #123 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Overland Park, Kansas
“Perfect”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We loved it. they had a little store inside that offered food and drinks and other items. They had free coffee and tea by the front desk. They had an small outdoor pool and hot tub. They offered free and it was very reliable shuttle to and from the airport. The free breakfast was amazing. Pancakes, sausage and biscuits, yougurt, cereal and breads along with coffee and juice. The rooms were small but just right. There was a large fridge and microwave and coffee pot. The beds were sooo comfortable. The only bummer was we had to go outside across an enclosed patio to get to the main building. Price was perfect!! We have stayed at nicer hotels but this was the best value!!!

Room Tip: ask to be in the same area as the front desk.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sonic1us

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Turkish first
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 16 February 2012

This place may have the Holiday Inn Brand on the sign, but it is not Holiday Inn Quality If you walk outside the hotel after 9:00pm you will find homeless people sleeping on the side walk. The rooms are so small you have to close the bathroom door to use the toliet. One of the elevators didn't work. The carpets haven't been cleaned in the halls in a long time. The hotel sits just off the flight path of the San Diego airport, The planes start landing at 5:00am, The best part was listening to the homeless people that were in an alcohol state, signing to the world at 5:00am. This is a motel 6 with a Holiday Inn sign. There a bunch of hotels 5 blocks away that are a better choice

Room Tip: Pick the seventh ave side if your staying, less roar from the jets that are landing
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank frequenttravelerdave
Upper Black Eddy, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 February 2012

We would like to "Thank" everyone for going above and beyond to ensure our stay was the best it could have been. From the first time we contacted the hotel we worked a great deal for both companies the people at the Holiday Inn went above to make sure everyone was well taken care of. We look forward to staying here in the future and continuing our realtionship for all future projects that we require our service people to stay in the San Diego area. A Big "Thank You" to all the people that work at this hotel your a great group from top to bottom!

Room Tip: Call and ask the hotel for there recommandations and that was something they were more than willing...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank JimKinsey
Utah
Reviewed 10 February 2012

When we stayed at this hotel we were happy with the overall look of the hotel lobby and breakfast room. We really enjoyed the breakfast they had...especially the cinnamon rolls and the pancakes! However, we did not like the location of the hotel and felt that the hallways looked dingy. The guest rooms were nice; however, you can hear a lot of the street sounds, nearby sounds in other guest rooms, and conversations in the hallway. On 2 out of the 3 nights we stayed we were awoken at 1-2 am to people yelling in the hallway. On one night the people also started smoking even though this was a non-smoking hotel. The hotel staff seemed almost non-chalant about the situation. We ended up asking for a refund and staying in another hotel for the next two nights of our vacation.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank K_MckUtah
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 23 January 2012

The hotel has free shuttle to the attractions and this is a big plus for us since we do not like driving . We missed the shuttle one time and the hotel manager even offered a ride to the train station when he was on his way to the meeting.
There is free happy hours which offers free drink and snack and free milk and cookie for the kid at night
Do not choose room close to the vending machine since the staff may load the drinks early morning and wake you up
Overall, this is a very good hotel and I am very pleased with the service

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank PandM2012
AV, California
Reviewed 9 January 2012

My stay occurred on a weekday between Christmas and New Years. I found an online rate through AAA for about $99 and then called the front desk to see if they'd match it; they looked it up and did so. The walk-in rate was much higher.

I was very happy with the cleanliness and the staff of the hotel.
Our main activities for the week were in Balboa park so the location was a big plus.
I especially liked the free internet-use computers, internet access in my room, and the breakfast. The breakfast included things like cereal, muffins, microwaved scrambled eggs and something I'd never seen before, an automatic pancake-making machine. The breakfast room, however, was a bit smallish - less than 50 - compared to the number of guests.

In general, I've rarely encountered a hotel situation where I just HAD to spend over $100 on a hotel to be happy. If I pay over $100, it's because I think I'm going to get something extraordinary. I don't see any evidence that downtown San Diego is any exception. If I go back to downtown SD and can't get Holiday Inn Express for under $100, I'll probably pick someplace cheaper; there are just so many hotels. So I'm glad I had a discount and was happy for the price.

That being said, I was irked (although not surprised) to pay $18 to park in their underground parking garage. It irks me because I don't believe they incur anything like $18 in cost for me to park there overnight - maybe $1.80. In my view they are taking advantage of people who wouldn't know where else to park and they amp-this-up by giving you a somber warning at checkout that it's risky to park overnight in downtown open lots, which might be somewhat true. The only reason I tolerated it at all was because it didn't look like the parking garage could hold enough cars for every guest to park there - if parking had been free, I probably wouldn't have gotten a space. I don't mind paying for scarce resources; it's simple supply and demand. But the parking was 50% vacant, which tells me the management team needs to lower the parking price. $9 parking would have made this place "Excellent" for a $99/night price.

Room Tip: Get an online discount rate then call the front desk and ask them to match it. Don't just walk...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank dmpdsc
San Clemente, CA
Reviewed 29 December 2011

Paid in full for room and checked in after midnight with a front desk agent that said "I was just in the process of cancelling your reservation for good tonight". Too tired to argue I just took the room key and went to sleep. Housekeeping started knocking on doors around 7am and chattering loudly in the hall.

Room was decent with an old tv and there was a big balcony.

Morning breakfast was ok but uncomfortably packed with people.

You can do much better in San Diego for the $$