All reviews breakfast room is yogurt clean rooms mini fridge short drive sea world mission bay walmart mattresses
Reviewed August 3, 2017

The hotel is just off of the 805 freeway, literally. As I pulled into the parking lot, in front there were homeless people's shopping carts lined up along the lot. The building looks, well, I'll say it, dingy.

Having no other alternative, and believe me, I wracked my brain hoping one would come to me, I parked and checked in.

It's probably akin to Motel 8, but I wouldn't know. I guess this experience made me realize I may be a snob.

The room was clean, and I realized how clean when, as I walked across the carpeted room into the tiled bathroom that I left footprints. The carpet was so wet with deodorizer that it was sopping wet.

Well, it was late, and I had a very early morning business meeting, so I hit the hay. Oh, but not for long, first, I had to pile everything I could find onto the A/C unit to reduce the rattling sounds. Which continued intermittently through the hot night.

Then, the mini fridge roared to life about 3am. I thought I was on the freeway getting hit by a freightrain..in hindsight, that may have been better than this hotel.

Yes, you get what you pay for, and yes, for San Diego, it's a steal. But really, this stay taught me a lesson - a safe, comfortable bed and room, is far more worth paying extra cash, than going cheapo.

So yeah, I guess I'm a snob.

Room tip: Room 202, soggy carpets, noisy fridge and noisy A/C. Bed was too soft and mushy. Clearly had been a deodorized former smoking room.
Date of stay: August 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Tina E
Reviewed July 7, 2017

Spent a few nights over the July 4th holiday, the location is close to freeway but slightly noisy at night as the building is facing the main road.

The minute we checked into our NON-smoking room, there's an odor and to make things worse, the carpet was sticky...the side of the table, the bed board were sticky too. :(((

The room is small and toilet is dated. The room didn't even have a luggage rack! The beds and pillows were both uncomfortable and didn't sleep well.

Breakfast is OK, unfortunately there is only ONE waffler maker and everyone is waiting in line inside the small breakfast area.

It was an average of $120/night over the weekend!! This surely didn't worth the price.

Date of stay: July 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed June 22, 2017

Older property in process of renovation. Staff was especially friendly and helpful. Rooms are basic, but bed was comfortable, area is quiet, rooms were clean. Breakfast is forgettable: no proteins.at all. Waffles, tiny tasteless muffins, cereal. No bagels, cream cheese, peanut butter, or eggs. Decent breakfast would have increased my rating. Lots of channels on TV, but most were paid advertising.

Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed June 20, 2017

I've been staying here once or twice each year for at least 2 weeks each time, for the past 6 years. It used to be owned by Best Western and I paid $130 / night. I got it for $80 / night last week. The new owners appear to be cleaning it up. I only sleep here. I'm gone after 9 AM and return after 9 PM. It's very clean and quiet, close to the 805, 52, 5, and 8. Not far from La Jolla and the other beaches, Sea World, Old Town, Del Mar, Oceanside. That's what I like about it. The breakfast is continental with sweet rolls, cereal and a waffle maker. Nothing great, but good not to have to spend more on breakfast elsewhere.

Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed May 20, 2017

I was surprised to find this hotel for < $70 / night with a guest rating of 4+. Apparently this used to be a Best Western property and they are trying to win back the customers, that translates to good service and value for money for customers!

Pros:
- Location: Right next to I-805 exit, close to sea world, airport and mission bay. Several shopping options in walking distance and walmart is 5 mins drive away. My favorite vegan restaurant Sipz is right across the street
- Continental breakfast was reasonable spread with waffle maker, boiled eggs, coffee, OJ, yogurt, muffins, cake etc
- Free parking
- Clean room with a mini fridge and TV. No microwave.
- Friendly staff
- Free wifi

Cons:
- Looks a little run down property, but has been maintained clean

Date of stay: May 2017