“Great Stay”

Hyatt Regency Mission Bay
Ranked #158 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Stayed for 4 nights in January. Friendly staff. Sea world is across the way. Food in resturaunt was good and dining near the pool area. Only have good thoughts regarding this hotel. Would certainly stay again..A short walk from the hotel along the marina is a geat fish and chip shop. ( Fries ) they sell a range of food again friendly staff and good food.

Room Tip: Choose a room that over looks the bay beautiful sunsets.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bwisetraveller
Kendra S, Director of Quality Assurance at Hyatt Regency Mission Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2012

Dear bwisetraveller,

We are so happy that your travels from Australia brought you to the Hyatt Regency Mission Bay for an enjoyable stay with us! Thank you for leaving such lovely comments. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed the food at Red Marlin, our Pool Bar Swim as well as the Fish and Chip shop down the boardwalk! If your travels bring you back to San Diego we would love the chance to welcome you back!. Thanks again for the great comments!

Hyatt Regency Mission Bay Spa and Marina

Write a ReviewReviews (3,567)

Reviewed 23 February 2012

Just spent a family vacation in San Diego and stayed at the Hyatt Mission Bay at the recommendation of a friend. It is located on the water, near Sea World. We were in the older part of the hotel but the room was acceptable. The on site restaurant was very good although pricey for the quality. There was a convenient bagel and coffee shop on site. The pool and pool area was great.
My biggest complaint is that I have been checking my credit card statement and there is over $600 in pending charges that we didn't make. I realize that there is often a security deposit but there are 5 different charges ranging from 50.92 to 303.67. I think that this is very wrong and will require time to get this resolved.

2  Thank JulieB16
Kendra S, Director of Quality Assurance at Hyatt Regency Mission Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2012

Dear JulieB16,

Thanks for your review! We are happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were able to enjoy our on-site dining options Red Marlin and Einstein's Bagels. Regarding the charges that you mentioned, please allow me to apologize for this issue. It appears there were some issues with charges made to your credit card instead of the credit card provided by the third party travel agent through which you booked. I was able to follow up with our in house Accounting Department and have found that all incorrect charges have been reversed and proper payment has been received from the third party travel agent. Once again, we are very sorry for this inconvenience but I am happy to report that all issues have been resolved. If I can be of any further assistance with this matter please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed 22 February 2012

We stayed here for three nights. Room was very nice with great views. Heard and then saw seals from our balcony. Pool area very nice. Parking garage is a bit inconvenient to get to. For being an older property, it is in very nice condition. The flight pattern for the airport goes right over this property. Property is very nice. Great pool area, very lush and tropical. Red Marlin Restaurant served great food. Staff was very nice.

1  Thank cfnm
Kendra S, Director of Quality Assurance at Hyatt Regency Mission Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 29 February 2012

Dear cfnm,

Thank you for your fantastic review here on TripAdvisor! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Hyatt Regency Mission Bay Spa and Marina! It is great to hear that you were able to take advantage of the lovely views, fun pool area and delicious food served at the Red Marlin. Our staff will be pleased to hear they were able to positively impact your stay as well. We would love to welcome you back to our hotel the next time you find yourself in sunny San Diego!

Reviewed 19 February 2012

My family and I came here last summer and had an amazing time. There staff are great and gave you lots of advice on where to do. We went to the San Diego zoo and the nearby boardwalk with rides and games. The pools and slides are so much fun and strolling along the docks looking at boats is so relaxing, There are so many seals and you can here them from the resort! Beautiful grounds and great food. We also rented a boat there and drove along the bay. Again, we saw many of seals. Some were even swimming beside us! I recommend this to any family that wants to go to a relaxing place friendly to kids!

Room Tip: Get the tower near the pool or suites overlooking the marina.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank aayo

Dear aayo,

We couldn't be happier to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us this past summer and we would be delighted to welcome you back this summer should you return to San Diego. It sounds like you were able to take advantage of some of the wonderful activities available in San Diego including the world famous Zoo and even some of our local attractions in Mission Bay! I'm glad you and your family were able to enjoy the company of our sea lion friends that hang out along the boardwalk by our Marina. They sure can be a chatty bunch. Again, we are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we hope that you come back to visit us again soon!

Reviewed 14 February 2012

FroggySmith from PA was spot on with his comments about conference noise. My wife and I stayed during the same time period. One conference included a noisy shout ridden "team building" event that made us want to shout back and another evening dinner/dance event had a "do it yourself" camera system set outside for couples. FLASH FLASH FLASH I'll also add the fact that the hotel is adjacent to a bridge leading to the beach so traffic noise was common if you like your balcony door open as we do. Flight noise is relentless daily but that may be common to San Diego.

We paid for a view of the bay, which was excellent. I travel for business from time to time and the room itself was below average for the price. The grounds and lobby were pretty though.

Parking? $20 a day adds up. If you're there during a conference, such as we were, be prepared to look for parking like you're at a mall during Christmas.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sun-Sand-Surf-Beer

Dear Sun-Sand-Surf-Beer,

We appreciate your candid review and are sorry to hear that your recent experience with us was not what you expected. We listen closely to all of our reviews and make sure they are shared with the appropriate managers so we can address each situation and make any changes necessary moving forward. This being said, please know I have shared your noise concerns with our Director of Catering and Convention Services so we can follow up internally. It is our goal to provide authentic hospitality to each and every guest, so I apologize you felt this was lacking in certain areas. If I may be of further assistance please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly.

Reviewed 9 February 2012

Ok, I will admit that I am staying at this hotel on a conference room rate, which is more than reasonable. When I made reservations specifically requested a quiet room and even called to confirm. Yes, they had the information I was told. What a joke. This is a conference hotel for sure, great setting. As I write this the speaker outside my door is blaring. (During the day it was relatively low.) There is a party going on in the cabana area steps from my door complete with mic and video. Yes, the staff is great, restaurant exceptional, but when you have to turn room fan on high to block noise something is wrong. Too bad. A very nice respite turned into a hunker down experience. Wish the staff had given me an option. Would have gladly paid more for quiet.

Room Tip: Rooms in two story buildings not renovated. Bathrooms old and unattractive. Bathroom door in room d...
1  Thank FroggySmith
Kendra S, Director of Quality Assurance at Hyatt Regency Mission Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2012

Dear FroggySmith,

Thank you for your candid review here on TripAdvisor. We are delighted to hear that our staff was able to provide you with the service you expect during your stay and that you were able to enjoy your experience at Red Marlin. I regret to hear that your experience at our hotel was less than exceptional due to noise disturbances heard in your guestroom. I have shared your comments with our Director of Convention Services to ensure any events held on property do not hinder the experience of our guests. Additionally, we do have regulations on noise levels for any events held on property to ensure all of our guests are able to have a relaxing stay. Please know that we carefully review all guest feedback and use this to make improvements and changes throughout our hotel as necessary. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back to our hotel soon!

Reviewed 8 February 2012

I stayed here for a work trip recently and loved the property. I stayed in room 1985 and found the room to be musty - it felt as though it needed an upgrade. What I did love about the room was that I had a huge patio that opened up to the garden area of the hotel. The room was at the end of the property and trucks were loading and unloading materials from events late at night and that's all I could hear. I also had an adjoining door to the room next to me, but did not know the person. I could hear every word they said in their room. What I did like was the food and the conscientiousness of the staff. One young woman at the front desk was extremely helpful and told me some great places to go while I was there. The property was beautiful, as was the pool bar and the fire outside at night. I went running in the morning around the marina and watched the sun rise. Definitely worth getting up!

Room Tip: Ask for one on a high floor overlooking the marina or a low floor that opens up to the gardens - tho...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank vbmegs
Kendra S, Director of Quality Assurance at Hyatt Regency Mission Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2012

Dear vbmegs,

Thank you very much for your informative review here on TripAdvisor. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your guestroom patio, our on-site dining establishments, and our friendly and helpful staff. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the slight issues you experienced with your guestroom. I have informed our Executive Housekeeper who will ensure your guestroom 1985 has been cleared of the musty smell you mentioned. I have also contacted our Director of Engineering to ensure the noise concerns you mentioned are addressed immediately. Thank you again for your comments. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to sunny San Diego for another relaxing stay in Mission Bay!

Best Regards,