“Great Hotel in an Excellent Location”

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego
Ranked #31 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 March 2012

I have now stayed here several times on business and find this hotel to be a great hotel to stay at for many good reasons. The hotel restaurants are great especially Sally's for outdoor dinning. The roof top bar also offers spectacular views of San Diego and the bay.The pool and hot tub are located on the 4th floor overlooking the bay area and the Coronado bridge. The hotel is closest hotel to Seaport Village for shopping and more restaurants. The hotel is also within easy walking distance to some of the best downtown restaurants on or near Gaslamp on 5th street. Refer to my San Diego restaurant reviews for some great restaurant reviews. This is a classic hotel. As an alternate I would recommend the Hilton half mile south also on the bay. I will be back!

Room Tip: The end corner rooms at the end of the hall are best, but, are upgraded rooms
2  Thank Tony J
Write a ReviewReviews (7,826)

Reviewed 16 March 2012

The views from our room on the 34th floor were outstanding, night views were breathtaking. I could sit there all day and night and watch the view out the ceiling to floor window, but there was lots to do. We caught the trolley at Seaport Village right out the back of the hotel. I highly recomend a trip to the beach at Coronado. We stopped for a delicious lunch of crab and lobster cobb salad at The Brigantine. We took a full tour on the trolley with the guys because it was their only chance to see San Diego because of meetings, but a two day pass for the girls proved to be a very good idea. Each evening we would walk the boardwalk behind the hotel next to the docked boats. It was a great fun get-a-way even though it was a business trip.

Room Tip: Rooms on high floors would have better views.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
KHelms, E-Marketing Manager at Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2012

Dear Carolyn H,
We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us and were able to take advantage of all this area has to offer! The views from our guestrooms are quite the site, but it is hard to stay indoors when there's so much to explore in beautiful San Diego! You'll have to come back and visit us again soon, this time no business, all vacation! Take care.

Reviewed 15 March 2012

I was at the Hyatt for three nights this past week for a conference. Although the hotel is only about a block away (the Mariott is between the Hyatt and the Convention Center) this particular conference was in the hotel itself. It is a massive property comprised of two towers with a 4 story conference/meeting/activities center joining the two towers. The pool area on the the roof of the 3rd story (4th floor access) was lovely, but the temperatures were a little cool for my taste, so I never actually got in the pool. It's handy because the workout facility is also on the 4th floor (Seaport Tower) adjacent to the pool.

Although I typically request a King room, settling for a double-room this time allowed me to check in at 11:00 am versus 4:00 pm. It was a very nice corner room on the 25th floor( 2585) offered views of the both the bay and the City. There was quite a bit of open floor space despite the two beds and a couch. In fact, it was more than enough to allow for my floor exercises and stretches. All of the furnishings appears to be in either "like new or new" condition, including the carpeting, and the TV was a mammoth 50 or 52" flat panel. I also had an in-room frig where I stored my waters, sodas, yogurt and fruit...yay! I also appreciated the full-sized blow dryer in the bathroom -- versus the typical, wimpy, attached-to-the-wall version. You also get tubes of Aquafresh toothpaste along with the typical shampoo, conditioner, and lotion ammenities. Nice touch. I also L-O-V-E-D that the windows opened to allow fresh air, although I was quickly reminded that all of the hotels in this area are also adjacent to the train tracks and there are very noisy freight trains that go through the intersections blowing their air horns in the wee hours of the morning. Be sure to bring your earplugs or close the windows before turning in for the night!

The hotel is also immediately adjacent to Seaport Village, which provides lots of opportunity for dining and shopping.

They don't currently have a "convenience/sundry" shop in the hotel. There is a sign indicating that new retail shops are "coming soon," but they were selling some sundry-type items (water, soda, snacks, personal needs items) in the little breakfast/lunch shop in the base of the Seaport Tower next to Redfield's Sports Bar. BEWARE: I drank the two sodas I bought from a CVS Pharmacy in the Gas Lamp District and had to pay $3.25 for a Diet Coke from this very same sundry area.

Everything was very clean and well maintained. You can pick up a free wi-fi signal IN the meeting rooms, but otherwise, have to pay to use the hotel's wireless and wired Internet ($12+ per day).

Be sure to check out the Sky Bar on the 40th floor of the Harbor Tower. The views were truly spectacular and allowed us to truly see just how much taller the Hyatt is versus the Marriott towers next door.

Room Tip: See my notes above.
3  Thank wendywwBrighton

Dear wendywwBrighton,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed and great review on our hotel, we are thrilled to hear of your recent experience and happy to hear you found our guestrooms spacious with floor-to-ceiling windows that open, great views, large HD TV's, mini-fridges, Portico bath products and full size hair dryers (a definite must)! We're also excited you took advantage of our 4th floor pool deck and StayFit gym with sweeping views of the San Diego Bay.
Please note for your next visit, we do offer sound kits complete with an eye mask, ear plugs and a sound machine for our light sleepers who request this amenity.
Also, you are correct our sundry/retails shops are undergoing a renovation which will be completed shortly. In the meantime sundry items can be found in our Redfield's Deli (Seaport Tower, Lobby Level).
We hope to welcome you back soon in the very near future and thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 14 March 2012

It's a big, chain, convention hotel. Great and friendly service from the staff. Stunning views from the high floors. Stunning prices (high!). It's just not worth it for a night's sleep. I would stay there again only if I could get a deep discount. Otherwise there is plenty of competition with equal or nearly equal views nearby.

As for the convention space: they use narrow chairs locked together forcing meeting attendees to be packed in to the rooms like sardines. Uncomfortable. Cramped. I would expect better of Hyatt.

Dear Zorro98,
Thank you for the review. We appreciate your candid comments as these help us to constantly improve and change where needed. We're glad to hear you thought our service top notch along with our spectacular views of the San Diego Bay and city skyline.
We do offer packages throughout the year that usually included added value (breakfast, late checkout, parking) - these can be found on our "Special Offers" Page on our website. We also find our rack rates to be quite competitive with neighboring hotels in the downtown San Diego area. We also have the "lowest rate guarantee" which means you won't find lower rates for our hotel than what is posted on our website. Hope this is helpful and we hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 14 March 2012

The Grand Hyatt website tells you that (for this category of their hotel portfolio) you should "expect nothing less than spectacular" This is laughable - the Manchester Grand Hyatt is tired, cavernous and unsophisticated.

The view from my room was stunning. But the furnishings and fittings were old and depressing. My club level room lacked some basic amenities befitting a hotel of this standard (robe, shower cap, complimentary water). The club lounge was small, and quite sad. The food options were basic. Not a place you would want to hang around in.

The wired internet was extremely slow - I had to sit on the floor by the door to get any signal from the wireless internet. Housekeeping failed to refresh my coffee on two of the four days I was there. They also forgot to clean my room one of the days. I called them at 4pm to ask them to come while I was at the gym (I even stopped by the front desk to double check sure it would be done quickly. I returned to my room at 6 pm to find them just getting started. I had numerous problems with my room key. I had to make the long trip to the lobby three times during the course of my stay.

The whole leisure area is similarly sad and tired. Feels almost institutional. The gym was spacious and well equipped but in desperate need of a face-lift.

The decor in the room appears to date back to the 1980s. As one staffer told me...Mr Manchester "never spent a dime on the place" when he owned it. It's apparently under new management now and they will be renovating in April this year (three floors at a time)

The location is excellent but I wished I stayed at the Hilton Bay Front (where my conference was). This was trendy, fresh, bright and contemporary. I felt sad having to leave it everyday to go back to what seemed like "grandmas house"

6  Thank LeavingOrangeCounty
Reviewed 13 March 2012

This hotel is in an excellent location. We walked to Seaport Village, Gaslamp district, and Little Italy. The lobby is very impressive but the rooms are typical -- nice and clean but nothing special considering the grandeur of the entrance.

• Stayed: March 2012

Dear travelingyogi,
We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay, our convenient location bay front in the heart of San Diego and the beautiful views provided in each guest room and throughout the hotel. I hope you'll be back soon to visit us again and experience our new renovated guestrooms (renovation beginning May of this year). The new look and feel will incorporate classic lines and subtle nods to the rich maritime history of San Diego. The upgraded look will only add to the existing charm of our guestrooms offering spectacular views through floor-to-ceiling windows. We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 11 March 2012

Nice hotel, well located. The catered food we had as part of the convention was sub-par. Hard boiled eggs for a continental breakfast? Rooms clean, average size, Great view. There is an adult pool near the spa. My wife loved being able to enjoy that Marco Polo free zone. Had one lunch at Sally's and ordered the Baja Cobb salad. Nothing Baja or Cobb about it, but it was delicious. We understand the rooms will be fully renovated this year. The gym was well equipped but given the size of this massive hotel, too small.

• Stayed: March 2012

Dear ucddoc,
Thank you for the candid comments. We pay close attention to all of our online and offline reviews to keep a consistent pulse on our guests' experiences had, so we appreciate the feedback.
We are happy to hear your wife took advantage of the "adults only" pool, Kin Oasis overlooking the San Diego Bay - it is a great option for kid-free guests. Also, happy to hear you enjoyed your salad at our Sally's Seafood on the Water.
You are correct; we will begin renovating our guest rooms, suites and grand club in May 2012. Hopefully we'll get the chance to welcome you back again soon so you can experience these enhancements firsthand.