1,556 results
All reviewsdouble treewarm cookiesfarmers marketlittle italywalking distanceairport shuttleparking structureconvenient locationbalboa parkthe room was nicegas lampconvention centergaslamp quarterfreewaywaterfrontdistrictbay
Reviewed December 6, 2017

This hotel is a bit off the beaten track in San Diego. It is about 4 blocks from the nearest streetcar (trolley) line, about 3 blocks from Little Italy (which is a great place). Our room overlooked the interstate and airport - very noisy and not particularly pretty to look at. The other side just looks at other buildings, so it's probably not that much better, but certainly quieter. At the end of the hall, the window shows a distant view of the bay. The room was OK, standard layout, nice balcony (given the view). bed fine, TV was too low, hard to see while in bed, and seemed not to be hi-def (even though the listings say they are).. Internet was mostly slow, even during the day. And Hilton Internet is awful to sign up for, have to do it daily, the honors portion rarely works - the front desk said it didn't matter, it was the same service anyway. There was a cabinet for a closet, right by the bed (awkward) and very noisy. Lots of airplane crews seem to stay here, so much coming and going at all hours. Our first night, we asked for a nearby restaurant recommendation. We were told to walk down the street and we'd find something. Can't say I've ever had that answer before. A coworker was ailing, couldn't get hold of us, and asked the hotel for some Gatorade and crackers. They said they didn't have any Gatorade (even though it was available in the gift shop) and room service would send up some crackers - which never came. Horrific customer relations.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Swl781
Reviewed December 4, 2017

The shuttle from the airport took about 40 minutes ---me an the other people waiting kept calling and they would say "its 10 minutes away and we haven't had any other calls" well we were listening to each other call so not sure what that was about. There was quite a line at check in and it moved very slowly. I was given a cookie but I have a peanut allergy. Usually when I say this Hilton hotels have a substitute --but the man at the from desk didn't even respond as I gave my cookie back. He did not welcome me as a Hilton honors member and I had to ask for water and also ask about the amenities of the hotel and where the elevator was located. This is not typical for a Hilton. they usually have outstanding service. I can say my room was clean and I had room service and the food was very good and the service was excellent. When I checked out I was not asked about my stay and I called a taxi from my room prior to going downstairs and the from desk could not tell me what taxi to look for or when it would arrive. Typically when you call a taxi the hotel will give the taxi your name. So me and three other ladies who called a taxi where very confused. We waited about 15 minutes for a taxi and I called 10 minutes prior to leaving my room so that was easily 25 minutes. Since all three of us where going to a conference we squeezed into the same taxi since we had all been waiting about half hour. I would say the the hotel really needs to improve on it's service. But over wise the food was good and my room was clean.

Room Tip: It was really noisy. I would suggest asking for a room up high
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed December 3, 2017

Great hotel close to everything! I was attending a conference in San Diego at the Convention Center. This hotel was close enough to walk to the harbor, Gas Lamp District, ferry to Coronado, Sea Port Village, Little Italy just to name a few. I will definitely stay at this hotel again in the future.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Reviewed December 1, 2017

This is the 3rd time we have been to San Diego and all three times my wife and I have stayed at this hotel. We are Hilton Honors members and I guess that gets you a little extra help when booking a Hilton hotel. We have been able to get the same room each time! That is very important because it is on the higher Hilton Honors floors and faces downtown so there is no freeway or flight noise! The bedding is plush and extremely comfortable. The blackout curtains will help you sleep as long as you want. I almost forgot the delicious chocolate chip cookies! If what they give you is not enough...just ask for a few more! The balcony overlooks the Street Market Fair on Saturday which is something everyone should enjoy! You can taste free samples of all kinds of foods and also buy just about anything from the freshest Uni (sea urchin) to farmer grown foods and loads of handmade specialty items provided by the locals of San Diego. Plus It's Free!! The hotel offers a very good buffet breakfast each morning and the staff is eager to serve you and make sure you have a happy face after eating fresh fruits and bagels with made to order omelettes and waffles and all of the fixings like bacon, sausage and hash browns as well as hot coffee, juices and milk and even cereal for the kiddos. Plus you can always order off the menu. The entire staff is eager to please. Make sure you leave a little $ on the end table for the room cleaning because they do an excellent job! Kudos! It's Great to walk into your room after a long day and/or night to find an extra clean room that smells fresh and makes you just want to relax. Since the remodel the Double Tree is one really good places to stay and you can't beat the price for what the hotel offers! The location is great, the staff is very accommodating and the rooms are very nice. If it's attractions that you want then this city is a great place! Yes they have all the stuff you read about in the brochures like the Zoo and Little Italy. We had a great time at Balboa Park that has lots to offer but do some homework so you can find where the locals go! The food, the food, oh and the food! Here we go.....Bencotto Italian Kitchen is one of the finest Italian restaurants I have ever enjoyed. The lamb shank with its deep dark brown sauce is so delicious I wanted to order another course of it! But no, I had to save room for the hands down absolutely best Tiramisu I have ever eaten as well as the top cannolis on the planet! The fried stuffed olives with marinara sauce were yummy to the tummy a well!

Room Tip: Best rooms and views are on the City side. The higher floors have the best views and are quitter and you can even see the bay!
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed December 1, 2017

We stayed in a suite at this hotel, and although it was very spacious and comfortable, it had some inconvenient features. For example, the bathroom had the smallest sink I've ever seen in a hotel. When brushing my teeth, I had to be careful not to miss the sink. Although the vanity counter was about 6 feet wide, it had a sink the size of a small bar sink. The tub was enormous, but there was no separate shower. Instead there was a rain shower head directly over the center of the huge tub. You had to climb in over the tub deck to get under the shower, and there was no way to take a shower without getting your hair wet, because it came straight down on your head. There was also a small kitchenette area in the living room, with a small fridge, but there was no sink in that area. It was very inconvenient to walk all the way to the back of the bedroom to access the tiny sink in the bathroom.
The staff at this hotel, however, were absolutely fantastic.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business