Lowest prices for your stay
C$409
Fully refundable before Fri, Jun 7
Algotels
Keaton K

Like Disneyland! Pure magic and detail

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Apr 17, 2024via mobile
Wow! I came here for work a decade ago and had no idea it had since been renovated into a dreamland! My bf took me here for my birthday and it was beautiful and truly no stone was left unturned. Inga at reception was so helpful and welcoming during our stay too. Looking forward to visiting again!

My only real complaint is the lack of ice, and the texting only concierge. Having to go down to the bar to get ice for your room is annoying especially if it’s a weekend evening when the lobby is CRACKIN’. The texting only concierge service also sucks, and the staff in person are lovely, so having a real concierge or the ability to call from your room to speak to someone instead of the impersonal texting feature would be an upgrade.
Date of stay: April 2024
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Steve Slack, General Manager at The LaFayette Hotel, responded to this review
Responded 4 weeks ago
Hey Keaton, Thanks for the kind words and the shout out for Inga, he is delightful. We appreciate the feedback on the text concierge, we are always looking for ways to improve.
C$340
  • Expedia.com
    C$409
11.2 km from The LaFayette Hotel
View more hotels in San Diego
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed April 11, 2024

Wow! I can't begin to tell you how amazing this hotel stay turned out to be. I read the reviews but was not convinced and a little leary since it was an intown hotel. Not downtown but kind of tucked away off of El Cahon Blvd. How much could there be to do inside the hotel I thought. Well lots!! There were so many thngs to enjoy. There were 4 restaurants inside the hotel! There was the live band club with dancing, note the place gets a long line so get there early. It opens at 6 and the band comes on at 8pm. There was the incredible game room. NOT TO BE MISSED. And then there was the pool. Just sitting on the balcony, watching the activities around the pool and listening to the music was enought for me. You really have to stay for several days or go back several times to really do everything. Our room was a 2nd floor balcony room overlooking the pool. From the time we checked in to the moment we left the service was impeccable. I told the hotel I was coming to celebrate my birthday and there was a bottle of Proseco in my room with a beautiful note and all of the notepads and letter writing paper and envelopes in the room had my name on it. All the little details made a difference. Von checked us in and was so nice and warm. Our room was so clean and I am a stickler about those things. I am always looking for dust and what might have been missed. The room was large and spacious, the beds were soft and comfortable and the bathroom had a window! There was a bar in the room fully stocked. Not like the little bars in a cabinet but a real live bar full of high end alcohol. It was packed when we checked in on Saturday but Sunday was nice and calm and the music reflects that. There is weekend brunch which was out of this world. Let me say I have traveled extensively worldwide and I was still very impressed with this hotel. We had Sunday brunch outside and the food tasted amazing. (Thank you Luna for great service and patience)! The dinner we had was supreme. We went to Quioxte. Great food and great service (Thanks Roxxane you were the best)! Roxanne had a full dessert and fruit platter sent out because it was my birthday! Upon checking out we were helped by Drew. Lot of love to you Drew for being so good at what you do! Even as we were greeted by both the Valets Benedict and Griffin when leaving the conversation was outstanding. This is an exceptional experience with outstanding staff!

Room tip: The club gets crowded by 8pm- live band comes on so go when it opens at 6. Reserve your restaurant before you get there.
Date of stay: April 2024
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank lacyl5
Steve Slack, General Manager at The LaFayette Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Lacy, this means so much to us, thanks for sharing and recognizing so many of our crew here. We really appreciate you sharing and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 31, 2024

Our stay at The Lafayette was exceptional! First the staff! Were greeted by a super friendly and accommodating Valet Gent(I didn’t catch his name but he had a close trimmed beard). He also helped us as we departed a few days later. Very kind and polite.
Drew checked us in and was super welcoming and professional. We grabbed lunch on the patio while our room was being prepared. When our room was ready, Linnea finished our check-in. So wonderful! She had Valet Eric went out of their way to help us to our room since we had so much stuff. Inge was tops at kindness, coffees and info and Jesse was super helpful as well. Our server in Quixote was Daniel and he was amazing.
Beginners Diner was delicious on 2 occasions. Front Desk coffee was outstanding on our 3 occasions. Quixote was exceptional. The Gutter is dark & divey yet pristinely clean and well operated. The Lobby Bar is amazing, and Lou Lou’s looked so cool. The Pool Bar made delicious drinks happen. The pool itself was heated perfectly and everything was so wonderfully maintained.
Our room (King Patio Suite) was beyond our expectations. Our entire stay was amazingly perfect and enjoyable. The space is out of this world only to be eclipsed by the wonderful staff who were so accommodating and welcoming from start to finish. KUDOS!

• Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Scott G
Steve Slack, General Manager at The LaFayette Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2024

Thank you Scott! We appreciate you recognizing so many of our crew members heres, we are glad they made such an impression on you. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed March 18, 2024

The LaFayette really achieves that rare balance of being incredibly luxe and impossibly cool. The decor is phenomenal; every detail, fixture, texture and pattern is just exquisite. And it's such a dynamic property! You can have it high/low and anywhere in between; with the 24/7 diner for late night munchies or early morning breakfast, the Lobby Bar for exceptional cocktails (the gin martini on the menu is flawless, the orange bitters really make it!), and Quixote for a moody, vibey, upscale Mexican dinner. Oh and the coffee bar is awesome, I had the espresso tonic every morning :)

I was traveling solo for work and didn't have any colleagues staying nearby, so I really had an adventure of my own and I loved it. Especially as a gay person traveling alone, I always felt safe, respected, taken care of and comfortable wherever I went on property. That was a really nice and special feeling!

Regarding the room, I stayed in a Classic King in the back building (recommend this if you're noise-sensitive since music plays pretty late and my guess is the pool area gets even more rowdy in the warmer months). The bed was really comfortable, overstocked minibar is such a nice add-on, the tiled bathroom has so much character, and the walk-in closet was SUCH a bonus! I like to fully unpack and settle in if I'm traveling for more than a night and really appreciated this space.

For food and drink recs, these were just a few of my highlights: again, the martini at Lobby Bar, the pork banh mi at Beginner's Diner, chili garlic shrimp tacos at Quixote.

Can't wait to come back with my husband this summer and enjoy the pool!

• Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank CGKTJT
Steve Slack, General Manager at The LaFayette Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2024

Thank you! We are honored to have been able to host you, and glad to have made such an impression. We appreciate you sharing some of your ProTips, we couldn't agree more. Looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed March 3, 2024 via mobile

Pros:
Incredible decor
Gorgeous pool
Multiple dining options
Really comfortable beds
Amazing pillows
Remarkably good lobby coffee bar
Above average towels
Personalized stationary
A prolific mini-bar
Top notch bartenders
Fantastic water pressure
Soaps & Shampoos are very high end
Exceptional waitstaff in the diner

Cons:
No full length mirror
No bell-hop
No kleenex
No alarm clock
No chargers by the bed
No luggage rack
No room service
Make-up lighting less than ideal in the bathroom
No fan in the bathroom - bring your poo pourri!
Limited hotel security - anyone can go up the elevator & stairs
Housekeeping every three days
Loud Music plays until midnight
NOT child friendly

Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Kate F

Hi Kate, Thanks for the detailed feedback, we appreciate taking the good with the bad. Its a perpetual evolution for us ,and we are always looking for ways to improve. We hope to see you again,

Reviewed February 25, 2024

Just stayed here for the second time and the place/experience was just as wonderful as the first time. The attention to detail is unlike anything I have ever seen. Every room is its own mini escape. The hotel staff are personable and informative. To end our stay, we decided to have brunch on the terrace and our waitress, Alicia, was so darling and helpful. The magic is still very much alive at The LaFayette. Can’t wait to go back!

Date of stay: February 2024
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank tairynninea
Steve Slack, General Manager at The LaFayette Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2024

Thank you for taking the time to share, we look forward to helping create the magic once more.