Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Adina S

Delightful!

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 4 weeks ago
The staff at this hotel made all the difference. I came to celebrate my bday and although my party didn’t make it, the staff from the concierge to the valet were immensely helpful, genuine, and polite in every way. At one point I needed assistance with a wardrobe malfunction from a female associate (Dani) and she indeed came to my rescue! The front desk staff was bubbly and informative. So Thankful that you have your 24 hour diner in which the staff there was also phenomenal! Thank you so much for everything I will be recommending and returning :) 💗
Trip type: Travelled solo
5.0 of 5 bubblesService
5.0 of 5 bubblesSleep Quality
Steve Slack, General Manager at The LaFayette Hotel, responded to this review
Responded 3 weeks ago
Thank you for the kind words and taking the time to recognize our crew, we hope to see you again soon!
C$385
Get rewarded with One Key
    C$431
16.3 km from The LaFayette Hotel
View more hotels in San Diego
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Travelling from Switzerland to do a road trip in SoCal we decided to stay at the Lafayette. We were in for a treat. If you like to dive back into time and enjoy some "great Gatsby vibes" this is a great place to stay. The rooms, the Bar, the Pool, the bowling and arcade everything was like a time capsule from back in the day with lots of glamour. Our 4 year old son enjoyed it as well especially the pool and "the Gutter" with a lovely bar, where he got an apple juice and us parents enjoyed a delicious cocktail watching the bowling alley and playing unlimited arcade games for free. The chillout lounge music at the pool was relaxing and swimming a couple of lanes in the mildly heated pool as well. Service at the reception, bars, pool area and the restaurant was always friendly and pleasant.

Only minor thing I can mention, what could be improved is perhaps playing some electro swing which would match the theme of the hotel. Also for on weekends, to have some animation dancers / acrobatic performances around the pool (maybe they do, we were not staying over the weekend....) as they have in several hotels in Ibiza - Spain - the Ushuaia Hotel for example.

Regardless, when we will be back in San Diego we will definitely stay here again and highly recommend this place to our friends and family. This is a very special place and a refreshing change from the standard corporate chain hotels.

Room tip: Under the week, free parking in front of the hotel can be available if you're lucky
Date of stay: April 2024
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Stephanie E
Steve Slack, General Manager at The LaFayette Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thank you Stephanie! We are glad to hear you and your family loved it, we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

I read an article about a San Diego hotel 2 mi from the zoo, that was built in 1946, and recently underwent a major overhaul. In addition, I wanted to visit my cuz, so I booked a floor level, pool access room w/ a king bed: I was glad I did.

I never saw The Lafayette b4 the makeover. However, my cuz said it was ghetto as was the neighborhood, until being redeveloped in recent years. Now the neighborhood is the place to be, and is full of young professionals. This crowd likes having places they can eat and drink at nearby.

I was able to walk out the back door to my room and park myself on a lounge chair. At the pool it was easy to order food & drink. The room was spacious and had the coolest in-room bar I've ever seen (although I did not partake). There are 7 themed bars on the property, and the main bar did not disappoint. All of the bartenders were friendly and serious about their craft.

I recently stayed at the Bellagio in Vegas. My experience at TL was so much better. The valet was really nice, Drew was able to check me in early, and the service everywhere was top notch. I visited four of the bars on the property during my one night stay. I can't wait to stay again so I can visit the other three. If you don’t have kids, this is a better place to stay vs the chains in Hotel Circle.

Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank KeoPAloha
Steve Slack, General Manager at The LaFayette Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Thank you so much for sharing this experience and these kind words. The title of this review may just be my favorite part. We look forward to the return visit.

Reviewed May 18, 2024

Can't say enough how much this hotel has it all. Incredible decor and mood/vibe. Excellent service along the way. It feels like everything has a personal touch. The 'mini'-bar inside the room is one of the most unexpected pleasures of a hotel room I've ever experienced. Absolute love the attention to detail and fun in every nook.

The room we had which was standard is small -- so if you're looking for space, I'd circle a suite or upgrade. The bed was probably the most soft, comfortable bed I've slept in while traveling anywhere.

Other highlights: diner is incredible. Hearty, old-school vibe and its even open 24/7. Pool is great -- large enough for a real dip or dive. And the bowling alley bar is huge -- good pool tables and even some skee-ball.

Will staycation here in the future. 5-stars.

Room tip: May be noisy for some rooms on the weekend...
2  Thank I4827HFjayd

WOW, that means a lot to us. Thank you so much for the kind words. It will be a humble honor to welcome you back.

Reviewed May 15, 2024

Reviewed today
This hotel was just redone and you can see why Esquire made it their fav new hotel foe 2024. Everything is just so well thought out, between lobby, bars, diner and pool. It has a very old hollywood type of vibe especially in the rooms. We had a pool view king and the room was very comfortable and spacious. Next time we go we will do pool side, as the balcony for our room was nice but a bit tight. It would be nice to be able to walk right out to the pool from the room. The service was EXCEPTIONAL and is a big part of why we enjoyed our time there. Every person working seems very focused on providing their guests with a personal, friendly and accommodating experience.

Room tip: I recommend getting a pool side room. The pool view on second floor is great too, but the balcony is a bit small.
1  Thank FJBLBC
Steve Slack, General Manager at The LaFayette Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2024

Thank you for checking us out. Lists and awards are nice, but hearing praise from our guests really means the world to us. We cannot wait to have you back.

Reviewed May 13, 2024

I frequent the Lafayette’s diner and lobby bar and am always in awe of the decor and vibes. My husband and I have always wondered what it would be like to stay at the hotel and decided to have a mini staycation for our anniversary. We absolutely LOVED our stay! It truly made our one year marriage anniversary so special. We had no idea our room had been upgraded and our jaws dropped when we walked inside and saw we were pool side. It was so sweet to have a bottle of Prosecco waiting for us as well💕 The room was incredible!! So unique and felt like we were in a different time period. All of the staff we spoke to were so friendly and helpful. We had dinner at Quixote where everyone was so sweet to us and treated us to a sweet dessert to celebrate. We truly had the best stay and loved learning about the history of the hotel we visit so often. It felt like walking into a completely different time and place and we have decided to stay at the Lafayette for every anniversary. It was all truly so magical! You will not regret staying here!

Room tip: Just pay for the valet! It’s convenient and the valet staff are so nice. There is not a lot of parking in the area so peace of mind is worth
3  Thank 3moqu33n1996

Thank you for celebrating with us. It means so much to us that The LaFayette now hold a special place in your heart. We look forward to seeing you again for your next anniversary, but hopefully sooner.