“Luxury hotel without the snobbery”

THE US GRANT, a Luxury Collection Hotel, San Diego
Ranked #45 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 4 March 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the US Grant. We are expecting our baby in May and wanted to get away for the weekend. Because this will probably the last vacation we have alone, we wanted to really treat ourselves. My husband is really into historic buildings, so I thought the US Grant was perfect. They did not disappoint. We were able to get a really good deal ($169/night) for our stay. Everyone we encountered was friendly and helpful. The valet always offered us help with directions and when we checked out, they even gave us bottled water for our drive. During my stay I tweeted about it and the hotel quickly tweeted back. The concierge even helped us choose a restaurant for dinner. Never were we pushed to dine at the hotel's restaurant (which looked excellent). I would definitely come here again and have already recommended it to friends and family.

Room Tip: Check out their website. They seem to list specials on it frequently.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bubbie9
Write a ReviewReviews (2,511)

Reviewed 3 March 2012

We spent 5 nights at The US Grant in December / January. The impressive lobby was decorated beautifully for New Years Eve.

Our room was large, clean and very well appointed. Service was great and our kids loved the chocolates on the pillows!

We didn't experience any more noise than you'd expect for a hotel in a large city.

The hotel is handily located, close to loads of restaurants and across the road from a shopping complex.

Definitely worth a visit if you want a bit of luxury in San Diego.

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank EmptyseaNZ
Reviewed 29 February 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a business trip. The staff was wonderful. The food was excellent. The hotel was in a great location right next to the Gas Lamp District.

My only complaint was that window to my room did not have a lock on it. I was on a lower floor and I could have gone out my window and walked across the roof and gone in to the room across from mine. Since I was staying alone in my room I had a hard time sleeping worrying that someone would come in my room.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I can't say enough about what a great experience we had at the US Grant. It can be challenging for a family of four to comfortably manage in one hotel room. As Starwood Gold Members we were upgraded to a beautiful suite that functioned like a small apartment - a bedroom area with two king-sized beds and a flat screen, a living room area with a flat screen, a 4 person dining room area, foyer, huge bathroom. It made our week long stay thoroughly enjoyable. We were greeted with a delicious treat when we arrived and also received cookies and milk on our last night. The location of the hotel is absolutely perfect. We were able to walk or take a reasonable car ride everywhere we wanted to go (the hotel has a great car service that offers very reasonable prices throughout downtown and surrounding area). We had a great time and would definitely stay at the US Grant again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank jshappytraveler
Reviewed 22 February 2012

If you're going to the San Diego Opera, this is the perfect hotel. Out the door, across the street, 100 yard walk, if that.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wknorman
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We loved the US Grant and enjoyed a fabulous suite with room for us our two girls, and our copious luggage. The girls were so impressed at the size of the shower they took photos of it - it's about the size of their whole bathroom at home :-)
The service, lobby, location and vibe were perfect, as were the bathrobes.
Lot's of fun and even nicer than we expected.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank lovethejetfuel
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We took my mother-in-law here for a weekend getaway. All of us were thrilled and excited about staying at the US Grant. Our stay was both relaxing and disappointing at the same time. The hotel in general is lovely but we definitely did not have a 5 star experience.

Pros:

*beautiful lobby
*friendly staff
*really comfortable beds
*great shower head
*coffee (which we had to order from room service for $9 not knowing that apparently we could have requested to have them bring a coffee pot to our room) was served with bone china teacups and saucers which was really nice and the breakfast we ordered one morning was absolutely delicious

Cons:

* unless you have a suite the rooms are incredibly small and the pictures on their website are deceiving. we had no furniture in our room except the beds and the desk and dresser which is fine if all you are doing is sleeping but if you want to hang out in the room at all everyone has to sit on the beds together which is kind of awkward.

*their website also says that "an executive desk with writing pad and telephone invites the guests to take advantage of Wi-Fi" which they tell you when you get to your room you have to pay for FYI

*typically the first thing we do when we get a room at a hotel is go to the window and check out the view. we were greeted with the most excessive amount of bird feces splattered on the windows and caked in piles on the window sill that I have ever seen in one place. I actually laughed out loud. I realize what a nuisance birds can be but there are ways to deter them from landing places and at a historical hotel and a luxury collection hotel it was a real shame to have to look at that every time we walked to the bathroom or wanted to look outside.

*coming back from dinner the first night we were greeted in the hallway by a cockroach who chased us to our room. Again, comical but really not what you want to see at a really nice hotel. motel 6 maybe, but not the US Grant.

*we also were not too thrilled to discover what we have now determined to be about 15 small cocoons of some sort hanging from our ceiling and brown stains maybe from someone throwing something at the ceiling. At first my husband thought maybe they were spit wads or something that some kids who maybe got left in the room too long might have thrown at the ceiling but upon further investigation we are pretty sure some type of bug was living in them at one point. gross.

* our ''300-thread-count-linens'' were lovely but were ripped on one of the beds and there was no way the person putting them on the bed could not have noticed it and they put them on anyway. nothing says luxury like ripped sheets.

All in all we had a good stay but would not go back again unless we had points we needed to use up. It has become a running joke now with my husband and I that the Starwood Preferred Guest floors at these hotels have the worst rooms in the hotel because this is not the first time we have been given a room where we feel its one of those rooms they always have to move people out of and they really should not be renting them out at all.

As a mom I really don't have time to look for stupid things to complain about which means these things jumped out and made me think to myself 'come on really? at a luxury collection hotel?'

check out the photos

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank bulldogluvr
Douglas K, General Manager at THE US GRANT, a Luxury Collection Hotel, San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with the feedback about your stay with us. I am very disappointed to learn that your stay was less than exceptional. Please accept my sincere apologies for the unpleasant experience you had.

I would like to have the opportunity to speak with you to discuss this further; feel free to contact me directly at 619-744-2005 or through doug.korn@luxurycollection.com.

Douglas R. Korn