“Hotel Staff walked in on me and my Girlfriend..”
Review of The US Grant

The US Grant
Ranked #46 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sacramento, California
“Hotel Staff walked in on me and my Girlfriend..”
Reviewed 5 April 2012

It seems the hotel staff wasn't aware that I was staying in the room that I was in. Around 10 am, after the first night there, a male housekeeper burst right into my room, without knocking, while me and my girlfriend were... occupied with each other. Needless to say she was very embarrassed, and this experience ruined our entire trip.

I told the hotel staff about this incident, and they forwarded me to the hotel director who offered me a bottle of wine as an apology. Of course I accepted, as I figured this is quite a nice hotel with a very expensive taste in alcohol, at least it should be a good bottle. Nope, I was given a cheap $15 bottle of wine that wasn't even on the hotel's alcohol menu. What a joke, this was just a huge slap in the face.

To top it all off, I asked twice to have a refrigerator brought up to my room. The first time I asked was when I first arrived, the second when I asked the concierge over the phone. Both times my request went unfulfilled. I ended up placing my perishables in the hotel mini-bar fridge out of desperation, which ended up charging multiple items to my hotel tab (due to the weight adjustment). I ended up owing about $100 in drinks I never even drank. By the end of the trip I was just so sick of everything, I didn't even care to check out. By the way for those wondering, apparently the US Grant thinks a coke not even the size of a small can is worth $4.95, and a small 8oz red bull is $9.95. Both of which are still inside the mini-bar.

I guess I shouldn't forget one last thing, when we arrived my girlfriend (being the superstitious person that she is) asked the Bellhop if the hotel was haunted, since the hotel is indeed over 100 years old. Without skipping a beat, the bellhop tells her it is indeed haunted and tells her a few scary stories not paying attention to the face I was making to tell him to stop. This completely RUINED her experience, she was frightened most of the night and thought every little sound she heard was a ghost. How could someone from the hotel staff do this?! I spent over $1,000 to stay here 3 nights, and my girlfriend was completely distraught the entire trip.

Needless to say, I won't be staying here again. I'd rather stay at a motel 6, at least I know their staff wont forget that I'm in my room, they'll be happy to give me a mini-fridge, and they will give me complimentary breakfast. Oh yeah, and a motel 6 won't scare the living hell out of my girlfriend.

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel like the plague. Choose one of the cheaper ones around the area, you'l...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JohnFitch12
Douglas K, General Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
We appreciate you providing us with detailed information regarding your unpleasant experience in our property. I deeply apologize for the distress caused by the issues you enumerated and would like to have the opportunity to discuss this with you further. Please feel free to contact me directly at 619-744-2005 at your most convenient time.

Douglas R. Korn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (538)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 4 April 2012

I felt like a 1920s movie star. Building is so deco and gorgeous. Rooms are tight but lovely (I still wear my US Grant slippers!). Great location, tons to do. Staff was very nice. Even let us stash our bags the day we checked out so we could explore the city one last time. For a unique hotel experience in the heart of the Gaslamp Quarter, this gem won't disappoint. I would absolutely stay here again .

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Walking distance to restaurants and shopping mall. Service was both welcoming and helpful. A lot of history seen and read throughout hotel. Room was a good size for a couple. I was impressed by the luxury though you can notice it is an older hotel.

Room Tip: View to garden is best.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Colonie, NY
Reviewed 3 April 2012

This hotel had excellent service. The only issue we had was the room was on the side near construction on the street and was very loud in AM. They didnt inform us of this issue ahead of time and it is prevelant enough that they certainly are aware of it. Other than that it was an exceptional hotel. I would recommend it highly to anyone wanting to stay downtown. You are within walking distance of anything downtown.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 2 April 2012

After all the reviews on this property I was afraid I'd be disappointed, but I was not. This hotel is as amazing as 99% of the reviewers say it is. First off all, the staff: Sergio at check in was amazing. Our room wasn't ready right away, so he took our # so he could call us when it was. We were told of all the things we could do in the area while we waited. He is fantastic at his job and a great representative of this property. Next up, Leanne at concierge. She basically took us on a history lesson of the hotel while telling us of all the things we could do in the San Diego area. quite possibly the friendliest concierge we have ever come across.

The hotel itself: you cant beat the area it's in. Close to absolute everything. Gaslamp, main shopping, water/piers, Hilcrest, and Little Italy all within minutes walking-no need for a car at all. It's beautiful, well maintained, and very comfortable.

Would return here without a doubt!

If I had to say one thing, the 150$ pet fee is too much. Even for a luxury hotel. I get the 35$ parking bc we are downtown, but even 75$ would be far more reasonable.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms are very quiet.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Alexandria
Reviewed 2 April 2012

The US Grant hotel was built by the descendants on America's 18th President after the Civil War. It is a fine old fashioned hotel with charming rooms and great common areas. The hotel is well located for visiting the downtown sights, many fine restaurants and bars are nearby in walking distance.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 April 2012

CHECK-IN/VALET STAFF/FRONT DESK: The entrance to the hotel valet parking is quite tricky. You might go right pass it if you don't pay attention. We arrived to the hotel and were greeted by a very professional valet parking staff who had big smiles and addressed us as Mr. and Mrs. The professsional and friendly valet staff was consistent throughout our stay. We got 2 bottles of water from them everyday "for the road and the little guy". The young front desk staff was very friendly as well. Our son had a cold with temperature during our stay, the staff opened the closed gift shop and offerred tylenol (though we had to decline because we had to use children's tylenol). Overall, we couldn't be happier with the customer service. No complaint!

ROOM: Our room is on the 4th floor facing the Westgate hotel, which wasn't a good thing because of their all day construction. Not very good for napping or sleeping in. Our little one was quite unhappy to be waken up so early in the day (around 5AM...) The room overall is more like a suite. The king bed was very comfortable with a ton of pillows. The decor is quite dated and dark, but we weren't bothered much by it. There was a huge mirror on the floor leaning against the wall (not safe if you have a toddler). The bathroom is nice and clean and has everything that we needed, from cotton balls to magnifying mirror and a lot of clean fresh towels with timed lightning. There were always at least 2 clean bath robes for us each day. We got a call every night to find out if we wanted our bed to be turned. Oh, there were 2 compliment wate bottles in our room everyday, which were very nice.

ROOM SERVICE: The maids were very friendly and attentive. We had to use the long pillows to cover the pointy sharp night stand to protect our son from getting hurt. The maid understood that and didn't touch them (without us telling). When we saw them on the hallway, they were always polite and friendly to our little one. We ordered in-room service for dinner one night. The food was excellent, exceeded our expectations. We had the fillet mignon with seasonal garden veggies. Everything was very tasty and hot. We could tell that the veggies were very fresh. Our son was happy with his mac and cheese. The onion rings were very good, just like Red Robin. The room service staff was very warm and courteous when he delivered the food. We got a phone call about an hour after our dinner from the conceirge to see if we were satisfied with our meals.

LOCATION: One word - EXCELLENT! The trolley is right in front out the door. The mall is one block away, which has a lot of nice shops and restaurants. Very close to Little Italy and about 10 min walk to the Harbor. 5 min drive away to the San Diego Zoo, Spanish Village, and the models train museum (you can take the trolley there). The SeaWorld is about 10 min drive away. The San Diego Sarafi Park is about 20 min away (you will have to go on the freeway to get there, but quite straightforward).

Room Tip: If you have sleep problem, before you go, you should contact the hotel and ask NOT to be placed in a...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family