“Very Nice Hotel; not great for families”

THE US GRANT, a Luxury Collection Hotel, San Diego
Ranked #43 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 28 April 2012

The staff was amazingly helpful and kind. The luxury was superb. The decor was beautiful! We came there for a business trip for my husband, and brought our young son. It wasn't such a great place for kids, but without kids it would have been just wonderful :-) Gaslamp is right around the corner, as well as a shopping center and bus/trolley stops. Great location for food and getting places. Because it is in the city, the noise from trucks and people is quite loud. We did enjoy the stay, and especially the staff!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,511)

Reviewed 26 April 2012

This hotel surpassed my expectations, my family and I ended up here after running away from a horrible hotel. The beds were comfortable, everything was spotless, the staff was extremely helpful and welcoming. This is definitely a home away from home, I couldn't ask for more. The only thing I didn't like was that it didn't have free wifi service, but I survived that. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and is definitely on my top list of great hotels in San Diego.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Let me start by staying, I did not stay in the sleeping room here. But I did do all the negotiating for my colleagues stay during our conference closeby. I did visit the hotel and view the public areas.

Beautiful elegant hotel -- Very nice art gallery and dining on lobby level. Nice meeting rooms downstairs.

Was so happy to get the Fed. Gov't rate for my colleagues to stay at this superb hotel - when we could no longer get the rate at the Westin Gaslamp around the corner. It was an easy walk to the conference and they had a beautiful hotel to come back to in the evening.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 April 2012

I spent a few days at the US Grant and had a blast.
Quick check-in, staff used my name every time, food was probably the highlight of my stay.
Kids n wife loved the food.
Staff provides excellent service.
Great location for gas lamp.
Will be back.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 23 April 2012

After my fiance and I left another hotel that had misrepresented itself on-line, we decided to drive around San Diego a bit to see what was available. We recognized the U.S. Grant from an on-line review and decided to walk in. And thank God we did!!!! The service was simply sensational. When we walked toward the check in counter and met Raymond Morales we knew we were in good hands. Raymond said there was nothing available but he was able to work some magic and immediately was able to accommodate us. He (as well as the other staff members) could not be more helpful. The rooms were lovely and spacious, the hotel was impeccable. So helpful and friendly they all were that we decided to have dinner at the hotel even after Joseph the concierge had given us many options to choose from. Excellent choice. Their restaurant (I forget the name) was fantastic, Sergio (the waiter) was knowledgeable, provided excellent service. Dinner was amazing. I could not recommend this hotel more than what I am doing right now. If you are a young couple looking for a classy, beautiful yet affordable hotel in the middle of the hip and happening area of San Diego yet want to feel you want to be transported to another era where service, class and beauty rank much higher than anywhere else in a big city, this is the place for you. If I could give it 10 stars I would.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christian A
NFBD, Manager at THE US GRANT, a Luxury Collection Hotel, San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2012

Thank you for your review on your recent stay!

We are all overjoyed to share this wonderful review of your experience in the historic US GRANT, A Luxury Collection Hotel. It appears that you received the full treatment from the Front Desk to the room to the acclaimed Grant Grill Restaurant and Lounge. Each of the people mentioned that made a memorable impact will be celebrated for their achievement!

Please do come visit us again soon and congratulations on your engagement! It appears that you have a lifetime of memories in the making and we were happy to be there for this brief sojourn.

Nathan Davis, Director of Operations

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Wonderful palace with large impeccably decorated and furnished rooms. We booked a superior room (top floor, jacuzzi) - the bath tub was really big! All members of the staff were very helpful and friendly. Great cocktails at the bar and appetizers. Breakfast is à la carte and is very good. The hotel is perfectly positioned for all downtown attractions.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Number 1 in the long list of things I liked - the bed! The bed was ridiculously comfortable and I had the most comfortable sleep ever there. There was a little street noise but it couldn't penetrate the lovely sleep experience. You could just nestle between soft white sheets and top that off with a puffy crispy-white duvet.
My second favorite feature was the downtown location. Tons of restaurants and shopping are within an easy walk.
Throughout the hotel has the elegance of times gone by, but it is a preserved and comfortable elegance. Everything looks fresh and works well, probably due to the $80 million dollar renovation in the 1980's. Outside the intricate facade of hotel is appealing in ways newer hotels aren't. It has so many pretty details that say "come inside". The lobby is inviting - I loved the checkered floors leading into the main lobby where comfy blue velvet chairs rest on cushy carpets under a spectacular row of large crystal chandeliers. We spend a fair amount of time just hanging out in this grand lobby.
The Concierge answered my multitude of questions with thoroughness and grace.
The stay in this hotel was a very pleasant experience all round.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple