“Beautiful historic hotel in downtown San Diego”

THE US GRANT, a Luxury Collection Hotel, San Diego
Ranked #41 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 7 May 2012

I usually prefer modern hotels but this is a truly beautiful historic property with modern touches and I'm so glad we chose to stay here. We booked a deluxe guest room which was a gorgeous over sized room and perfect for our one week stay. GG Lounge was a great place to enjoy hand crafted cocktails and pre-dinner snacks.
The hotel is a short walk to the Gaslamp District, shopping and an assortment of restaurants. There are a lot of homeless people in the area but we didn't feel harassed. We stuck to the busy main streets when walking around at night.

Room Tip: If you're not used to city living, be warned that it can get quite loud in the evening (the hote...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,547)

Reviewed 7 May 2012

I you may want to be San Diego downtown , the US Grant hotel is for you . Central and nearby Gas Lamp district , the old town , you 'll be close to shop , restaurants and bars.
Other side , don't expect choice for inside restaurants , there is only one pretty expensive and pretentious .Smae , no buffet for Breakfast , an " a la carte " menu much more expensive than good §
Net net good hotel for rooms and go for eating outside!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Panhard35
Reviewed 6 May 2012

My husband and I just spent 3 nights at the US Grant with another couple. It is a beautiful hotel with a great lobby bar and nice wine. The downside was that I walked a block to CVS one morning and felt uncomfortable being out alone as there are many homeless people in the area around the hotel. We did find it was within walking (a good hike at times!) distance to lots of fun restaurants, waterfront, and Petco baseball park. The staff was very helpful and concierge helped us book at a spa around the corner that was wonderful. We had a great weekend! I would rethink this area if I were taking our children with us-it had a Bourbon Street feel to it. It was a fun destination for a couples weekend!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 May 2012

Thanks to other Tripadvisor writers who commented this is a great place to stay. I will state the pro's and con's (yes, there are a few but it is still a 5 star property).

We took a taxi from the airport and checked in late at the US Grant. Right away we had a good feeling - valet's were smiling and helpful, check-in was smooth. We had our bags brought to our room and took a quick look around the room before heading to the lounge for a drink before retiring. The service in the lounge was equally exceptional and very friendly. The pricing of the food and drinks in the lounge were steeper then expected, but the quality was good. I will pre-warn you - only eat in the lounge or restaurant if you do not care about the price. I have eaten at equally delicious restaurants for less.

After a small snack and drink we went back to the room to get ready for bed. We had a nice sized room, not too big but not uncomfortably small. This is a very old hotel, wonderfully updated, so the room size is similar to other older hotels, which is to say a little smaller then most. Nice original artwork in the room, and the bathroom was very clean and a decent size. No tub though, which was a little surprising, but a very large tiled shower that 2 people can easily fit it with room to spare. So, if you like a tub in the room this could be a drawback. It was not a drawback for us, we just found it a bit odd.

The next morning we woke up early to walk to Balboa Park. I was surprised to find there was no coffee maker in the room. After checking the price for room service to deliver us coffee (youch!) I told my wife I would go grab us some coffees (we like to have a coffee and read the paper in the morning). I went to the lobby and was about to head out to a Starbucks when I saw someone walking with a coffee out of the lounge. I went into the lounge to investigate and discovered they have free coffee to go in the mornings, plus they carry a selection of newspapers! Very nice. I grabbed 2 coffees and a newspaper and headed back up to the room.

On one of our days we wanted to rent a car so we went to the concierge. They not only helped us with the car reservation, they also asked where we were heading for our day trip and gave us some eating recommendations and places to visit (they were spot on with their recommendations!). One note, they phoned 3 local car rental places. Do NOT let them phone Enterprise. I am a regular Enterprise renter and the manager at the local location was amazingly ignorant and rude - and it takes a lot for me to write that as I am very forgiving for the most part when people have an off day. But her attitude and poor customer service were too much even for me.

On our last day I phoned to the valet and asked for a taxi to take us to the airport. We were asked if we needed help with our luggage, but we were fine so I declined. We went to the valet station and were promptly greeted (they remembered me, which was amazing) and the one doorman pointed behind me. I turned to look, but could see no taxi. Thinking I must have misunderstood what he was pointing at I turned back to ask where the taxi was. Before I could speak a word one of the valets started loading my luggage into a gorgeous town car! The driver held the door for my wife, and I jumped in, making sure to tip the valet.

The driver was super friendly and we had a good conversation on our short drive to the airport. My worry was this - what is it going to cost us? When we got to the airport I asked - it was only $5 more then a taxi! He helped us with our luggage, we paid and gave a tip, and we were off again.

One last thing - we had an outside corner room which had an excellent view facing the street. However, when you face the street you can also hear the sirens at night, so choose wisely.

The US Grant is not an inexpensive hotel, but it is a good quality hotel. The service is amazing, the rooms very nice, the food pricier then most, but I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Travelling_Roadshow
Reviewed 4 May 2012

From the valet to checkin to our room to the restaurant...EXCELLENT!! Everyone was gracious and accomodating. We only experienced quality while staying at the US GRANT. I was fastenated with the history and beauty of this hotel, and was always met with gracious, patient employees as I stopped them with my many questions. We stayed in a Grand Deluxe Room on the top floor. It was perfect, clean, quiet, and spacious. The food is wonderful, and served elegantly. The hotel is close to everything. Would definitly recommend the US Grant and will be staying here again. This was our first time, but will not be our last. :)

Room Tip: we were on the top floor in a Grand Deluxe Room, which does provide more room given that this hotel...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sjg6
Reviewed 4 May 2012

All personnel at the US Grant were above average. We were always greeted warmly and respectfully. We had an issue with the temperature in our room and it was dealt with promptly and professionally. This is a beautiful old hotel that has been updated with many amenities. The rooms are small, even on the upper levels, but very luxurious. The bathrooms can be very small with very little counter space. It is very convenient to the attractions and Gaslamp district. It is a lovely hotel to stay at when visiting San Diego.

Room Tip: Request the largest room possible.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2012

I was impressed with my stay here. We stayed in a signature suite and the giant multithreaded shower was cool.

Location was great and staff were excellent.

Located at the north end of gaslamp region, was quiet and relaxing

• Stayed: April 2012