2,674 results
All reviewsgaslamp districtsignature suitelandmark suitehorton plazabeautiful hotelturn down servicehomeless peoplestreet noisethe gas lamp districtbeautiful lobbyvalet parkingbottled waterconcierge deskcorner roomlarge bathroombalboa parkconvention center
Reviewed August 28, 2017

It is a tradition of our family to identify places as "dumps" which are outstanding in every way. The U.S. Grant satisfies this criterion. After booking our flight/hotel stay using Delta Airlines, I called The Grant and spoke to a very pleasant young woman named Katrina and requested an upgrade to a corner room as well as put in a request for an early arrival. Done. Done with no problem. What a dump. Management should buy her a bag of M&M's. At arrival, check-in was effortless and our room (1005) was ready for us. We recommend a corner room. A dump I tell ya. This old guy had trouble understanding the internet charges. Kimber very politely explained that I had no problem. Another representative of The Grant who deserves a bag of M&M's. A real dump. We had a couple of bloody Marys in the lounge area and Ghia (hoping that is correct) was as the kids say, totally awesome. Guess what she deserves? Another dump moment. The young man, whose name I cannot recall, eagerly helped us print out our boarding passes for our flight home. Yes, M&M's moment. Our stay was outstanding topped off with dinner of scallops for her and ribeye steak for me washed down with some bubbly. An excellent choice of our part. Requested wake up service and cab waiting for us at 5:30 a.m. Done and done. Checkout went off without a hitch using their TV system. Side notes: The elevators were very fast. The room was immaculate. ALL staff were accommodating to the nth degree. Our room was cleaned and "normalized" with no problems. Room 1005 is a good choice. If you stay at the U.S. Grant, take time to look around at the artwork. Pretty way wahoo cool as my children would say. The Grill may give you sticker shock at first but you do not go on vacation to save money.

The U.S. Grant is a level 10 "dump." To Management reading this review: Treat your staff to some M&Ms. :)

Room Tip: Room 1005 or other corner room
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
7  Thank TheKid1111
Management response:Responded September 6, 2017

We have never been more pleased to be called a "dump," TheKid1111! Providing outstanding service in every moment is our top priority, and our staff truly takes pride in ensuring each guest experiences a memorable visit to our iconic hotel. Perhaps the secret to our staff excellence is ice cream in the employee cafeteria on Fridays? Until next time!

Reviewed August 27, 2017 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here the 25th and 26th of August.

The staff was very helpful, pleasant, nice, and professional!

The hotel is absolutely beautiful! The rooms are large, comfortable, and well stocked with amenities, towels, and pillows.

The elevators are a bit small but there are four of them so not a problem.

The restaurant is no more expensive than any other luxury hotel's attached restaurant.

It's located directly across from Horton Plaza and is within walking distance of Seaport Village, the Gaslamp district, PETCO park, and a block and a half from the House of Blues.

I have zero complaints and will definitely be staying here again!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded September 6, 2017

Thank you for the 5-star review of our iconic Downtown San Diego hotel, Jim D. We look forward to welcoming you and your wife back again soon for another exceptional staycation!

Reviewed August 27, 2017 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed at the US Grant over the weekend, for a friend's wedding in San Diego. We booked through Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts program, because one of the benefits is a noon check-in, when available, and a noon check-in would give us time to get ready for the wedding that night. When we got to the hotel at 1pm, the check-in process and customer service we received from Paolo and Anjelica were so disappointing. First off, Paolo, who checked us in, didn't even acknowledge my SPG preferred membership, or say "welcome back" (since we stayed at the US Grant last month), just "how can I help you?" Paolo said there were no rooms available for check-in yet, even after I told him not to worry about the upgraded room we would get through Amex or through SPG Gold. That's not very believable considering there were rooms available in every room category when I checked the night before. I asked to speak with the manager, hoping to get whatever room we could, and Paolo bluntly said "she's going to tell you the same thing I said". He went over to get Anjelica, the manager/supervisor/whatever, and I heard him say "do you have a minute to talk to them?" I'm not kidding when she said "no, not really, but I will". That's such a bad attitude to have when guests are standing right next to you. So Anjelica came over, with a stone cold face, and said "what's the problem?" I explained that we were hoping to check-in early in order to get ready for a wedding, and she was so unapologetic when she said the generic line of "we are fully committed and no guests have checked out yet". Ok, thanks for your help. A "sorry" or any show of sympathy would have been nice... We told Paolo that we would just take the first room available, and get some lunch in the restaurant off the lobby. All this guy said was "ok". After a pause of waiting for him to say something, I said "are you going to give us an estimated time that a room will be ready?" He said "I don't know, but we'll call you". Again, not even a "sorry about that, we will try and get something ready as soon as possible". I mean that's customer service 101, have a little sympathy for customers and guests; Apologize even if you don't mean it! The worst part is, as he was giving me back by credit card and ID, he said "you look good in that picture". That's such a creepy comment to make! I mean, I'll take a compliment, but not when you were just so rude to me and my boyfriend, and then gave us news we didn't expect to hear when checking-in. Pretty inappropriate, and not what I would expect from a luxury collection hotel. So we went to the restaurant and ordered some lunch, and defiantly a drink, and right before our food came out, Paolo shows up to the bar and throws the room keys down in front of us, when we looked up and saw the keys, he was already halfway out of the restaurant. Just tossed the keys and ran out! We were pretty shocked and I said to my boyfriend "was that just Paolo, I guess these are our room keys?" Now I'm not in the tourism industry, but that's not normal! Maybe say to your guest: "I'm so sorry for that wait, here are your room keys, your in room #, please let me know if you need anything else, have a great stay, etc". That's not even hospitality advice, that's social skills 101!!! You don't throw something in front of someone, and then walk away. It's bizarre behavior coming from an adult. It's normal for a toddler, but not an adult!
The rooms are great, noisy if you face the street, but the beds are very comfortable, housekeeping was awesome, and valet is friendly and efficient.
Overall a great hotel, but we're not going to stay here again if we get treated so poorly. It really left a bad taste in our mouth for the rest of the trip. Especially since it was also our anniversary weekend, not that they would have done anything special if we had told them....
Amex, please include other hotels in your partnership, so that we don't have to stay here again. I didn't even receive the welcome envelope that you're supposed to receive when you book through Amex FH&R.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Allison S
Management response:Responded August 28, 2017

Please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointing experience you had with our staff members. The experience you describe certainly is not what you can expect from our iconic hotel and we are terribly sorry that this tainted your entire visit. Please know that your review has been shared with the appropriate team members and we will do all we can to ensure this was an isolated incident and does not happen again. Thank you for sharing your positive experience with our housekeeping service, valet, and the comfort of our guest rooms. We value the partnership we have with American Express and do hope that we will have the opportunity to have you as our guest again so that you may see this issue has been addressed.

Reviewed August 26, 2017

Rarely do I make a review on a hotel, due to the fact that most are run of the mill. The US Grant is one of those exceptions. We were in town expressly to visit the USS Midway Museum. When you walk into the hotel, it has a warm comfortable feeling that's hard to explain. Lots of wood and very tasteful furniture are spread throughout the lobby. The beds are very comfortable and the bathrooms are beyond clean. Everyone from the concierge to the maid service was attentive and willing to help at a moments notice. They have down pillows in the rooms and as I am allergic to down, they were more than happy to swap them out for polyester fill. We needed a recommendation for dinner and the concierge, Mr. Brooks Barding, stepped right in to help us make a choice (Greystone Steakouse). We were only there for one night, but if I'm ever back in the San Diego, I'm definitely staying here.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded August 28, 2017

Allan H, thank your for the review! We hope that you do return to San Diego as we would be delighted to welcome you back. To learn more about our own storied history - including the many ways we have honored and welcomed the military throughout our 107 year legacy, I suggest our self-guided tour for a unique and enriching experience.

Reviewed August 21, 2017 via mobile

The US Grant is ridiculously beautiful! You almost feel like you are in San Francisco once you see the hotel. The first floor lobby area is spectacular and nicely decorated. The bar and restaurant is old school beautiful. The rooms are nice and comfortable. They are clean and fresh. The staff is very friendly and accommodating.
The Grant is perfectly located in downtown. It's close to the Gaslamp, Petco Park and shopping.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business