“Great location, venue and staff”

THE US GRANT, a Luxury Collection Hotel, San Diego
Ranked #41 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 15 October 2017 via mobile

The location to the airport and downtown options are great. I love coming to SD and running along the water in the morning. Our room was spacious and the bathroom was very updated and large.

I found the bath towels and beds/pillows to be very plush. The towels were very soft which is not what you find in most hotels. The bed and bedding was so comfortable it was easy to sleep both nights.

I was there for an anniversary party and the staff was amazing. Sure, they've met my family before but each seemed to take to time to chat and be friendly. Maria (29 yr employee) in the catering services was exceptional. So was Fabian and all the other staff members we met.

Thanks for making this memorable event one that was enjoyed by all.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,548)

Reviewed 12 October 2017

This was our first visit to San Diego and the US Grant made us feel welcome. We stayed here as part of a tour group and came out a day early. After speaking to the lovely concierge we enjoyed our visit to Coronado Island as she knew the tour groups itenerary and directed us to a different attraction. She spent lots of time with us explaining bus routes, bus stops, restaurants, and must do's. When we returned she called us over to make sure we enjoyed our experience. (Thank you for the personal attention.)
This is an older, historic hotel that has been updated. It is in the middle of the city and close to a fire station, so you may hear sirens. We stayed over a weekend and the hotel across the street had an outdoor wedding which included a live band. Noise ordinances are in effect so our sleep was not affected. We had a lovely experience at the Grand.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2017 via mobile

Everything was fine during our stay, even though the room is tiny and hotel has no pool - it is conveniently located and close to everything. When I go to check out after 3 day stay, I am being told owe $150 for parking?? They didn't mention any of that when I parked the car or when I checked in? I wouldn't have even gotten a car (it's not needed) if I knew that - it just sat in the garage the entire time. Maybe would be nice if you let guests know before you charge them $50/night as a "surprise" on check-out. Front desk attendant was very rude and dismissive about it when I questioned the charge- oh well, that's what we charge, it's posted on our website. Do you think I go to a website and read every single thing there? Unreal

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Natalia B
Vanessa T, Manager at THE US GRANT, a Luxury Collection Hotel, San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2017

Dear Natalia B,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us and that the location of our historical property was ideal for your travel needs. I understand your concern regarding the valet parking charge, however; pricing for our valet parking is comparable to the pricing of all other San Diego downtown hotels. We hope that you will still consider our hotel for your future visits to downtown as it would be a pleasure to welcome you back!

Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

We spent one night at this historic old hotel . The rooms are very small and since the hotel was built in the early 1900s, the walls are paper thin and you can clearly hear full conversations of the guests in the room next to you. We stayed as part of the American Express fine hotels program, which offers complimentary upgrades when available - our upgrade took us to the "next category of room" which the front desk said was the exact same room just on the other side of the hall. The hotel has been renovated over the years but it still feels very cold and sterile. Seems like a "business hotel" with zero charm that you would expect from a hotel with this much history. We have stayed at many of the nicer hotels in the San Diego area, and this is one of the most expensive in the city and not worth it by any means. Even at the end of our stay we discovered that in addition to the $700 per night that they charged for the room, there is also a $50 per night surcharge for parking (which was neither mentioned to us upon arrival or clearly posted anywhere when you pull in). The manager, Anjelica, was incredibly unhelpful and rude to us when we spoke to her. We highly recommend making a different hotel choice when considering where to stay in downtown San Diego. There are plenty of other options available.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tcurtis69
Robert B, Hotelier at THE US GRANT, a Luxury Collection Hotel, San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2017

Parking fees have to be considered when residing in a downtown hotel, tcurtis69 and shouldn't come as a surprise. We have the current rate posted on all our digital sources and regret it was the reason for a subpar experience. Yes, we are a historic hotel, built in 1910, the thickness of all our walls is, however, is a little more substantial than paper thin. If any other guest is conversing rather loud, our team has effective methods to restore tranquility. We are very sorry that we couldn't take action to enhance your comfort. Overall we would be honored to have you return and give us another chance to earn your trust. We appreciate your insight and for conveyign your experience.

Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

The hotel is beautiful, but the staff will completely ruin your experience. We have stayed at multiple hotels in the San Diego area including The Del. I stay somewhere around 50 nights in a hotel per year. I chose the US Grant for our multiple room booking because of the beautiful photos online and the location. From the moment we tried to check in our experience was anything but a five-star experience. I called prior to our stay to make sure we would be able to check in prior to the 4pm checkin time. Our family was returning from our cruise and would be arriving fairly early into San Diego. I called before our trip to make sure the early checkin would not be a problem. I fully realize that platinum members are not guaranteed an early checkin, but the women who answered my call earlier in the week assured me it would lot be a problem. Typically this would not be a deal breaker for me, but we were traveling with 9 members for my daughter's birthday. The women who answered my call said she understood and that she noted it on my reservation. When I mentioned this to the front desk clerk at checkin, his response was "Do you have her name?". This was not a question to in any way help us get checked in, but more of an obnoxious comment. I said, "no, but I have the record of my call you can see on my phone". After he went through my "platinum upgrade" options I reminded him that I cared more about getting checked into an available room than holding our for a nicer room. After explaining this to the manager (who btw was curt and not helpful in any way) the clerk still tried to have me sign for a specific upgrade even though he had no idea when it would be available. I had to explain to him that I wanted to be put in queue for the first available more than 3 times. I was standing at the front desk for around 45 minutes and have been sitting here on the sofa with my family for the last 2 hours and counting. It is hard for me to believe that in a hotel this size with people checking out in front of me for the last couple hours that not one of our rooms is available. When we asked if we could add the rest of our luggage to the large pieces they took when we arrived at the hotel (thinking we would be going right to our room). The clerk initially said we could not add them and we would have to start a new ticket like he was being put out by our request. All this and we haven't even begun our stay. Please do yourself a favor and select another property.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank adventureswfamily

Dear Family E., whilst we regret that you had to wait for a little bit to occupy your three rooms on a Sunday morning, coming off a sold-out Saturday, we must stress that the efforts of our dedicated front office team were relentless. To arrive at 9:08 AM on a Sunday morning and being able to occupy the 'three first rooms' we completed servicing, is unfortunately as good as it gets on a Sunday that followed a sold-out Saturday. Our beloved hotel is very popular on weekends with weddings, prestigious social catering events, and families that arrive Fridays and Saturdays. Kindly consider that when your next cruise adventure is scheduled and returns to harbor on a Sunday morning. We hope the remainder of your stay was splendid and we may welcome back you back with us on the next excursion.
Please do note that our Check-In time has changed to after 4 PM now.

Reviewed 8 October 2017

The old school, fancy and ornate thing is going strong here. You feel it right as you walk into the lobby. The front desk people were very friendly and helpful, and they made me feel comfortable. The room was simple, but nice. Nspresso machine! No mini bar, if you're the type who needs that last night cap and your secret breakfast. The bottled water was complimentary and they brought more mini water bottles and a little chocolate while I was eating dinner at the restaurant in the hotel (which is also lovely). The lighting in the bathroom was pretty dark, but they have one of those magnifying mirrors with a light that is mounted to the wall by the sink. The bathroom was also kind of small, but I mean, it's a historic building so that's to be expected. Also, the ventilation fan in the bathroom was very loud. Which might be a good thing if you are staying with someone else and want something to help cover up the sounds as you do your business. Especially because the bathroom is pretty close to the head of the bed. The best quick metric on how nice a hotel really is - its pens. This hotel has very nice pens. I would want to live here, if it had a hot tub and pool.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 October 2017

My wife and I had the opportunity to stay for three nights at this great hotel that has a rich history! The building is beautiful, the staff is first class and the sleeping room was very comfortable. In fact the beds mattress was one of the best we have slept in.... The location is close to the action in the Gaslamp section of town and walking distance to the water. We will stay again on our next visit!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business