Lowest prices for your stay
C$411
Algotels
C$355
Walter B
Los Angeles, California
Stunning Property maybe attitude adjustments needed
4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Mar 2, 2024via mobile
Stayed during Proper CRSSD NYE. Evenings I was greeted by a young African American and checked in by an Asian woman who had the best energy. Even though I experienced uptight smudge attitudes, this extremely beautiful property is a must stay. I expect every time as a "Bonvoy" member be check into a hotel and be treated.

After I checked in, I got to my room and immediately noticed the I was next to the elevator, which my Starwood, excuse Bonvoy. Until Marriott bought Starwood, I never experience issues during stays sadly. Anyway, my profile expressed I prefer not to be near the elevator but inside the room I could not hear the elevator. Which was quiet sound proof the walls were but the smell of mold knocked me on the ground as I entered the room (figuratively speaking) became worse as I reached the bathroom. Called down immediately and the at the time busy gentleman was apologetic informing me someone would be up with my bags to move me. After 30 minutes an extremely gracious and polite young man came up the elevator to the common space outside the rooms where I was waiting, could not bare that smell. Took me up two more floors. Extremely apologetic and polite with amazing energy to my new room which was closer to the elevator, nicer but same room type and felt a tish bigger but just as quiet. Helped me place my luggage while making conversation and was on his way. My stay from there was great, the hotel look just as pictures show exuding the scaffolding. Which is understanding due to construction and being from New York, Upkeep of an older build to look so grand can be hard. Silver, Gold, or Platinum as I expect not because that is how Starwood did it. But because this is the luxury collection and my first stay at one. I expect better next time. Probably the smuggest check-in (if that's a word) I have ever had in my 39 years of living and a hotel named after a fellow military officer who served his country. Thank you.

I highly recommend this property, kid friendly, family orientated, possible great for weddings, just stunning. 10s a cross the board.
Date of stay: December 2023
Beachfront
9.2 km from THE US GRANT, a Luxury Collection Hotel, San Diego
View more hotels in San Diego
2,978 results
All reviews gaslamp district legacy suite horton plaza beautiful hotel turn down service homeless people beautiful lobby bottled water concierge desk corner room balboa park gas lamp convention center valet turndown headboard sd
Selected filters
Reviewed February 27, 2024 via mobile

This is a beautiful, elegant hotel. One night stay, pre cruise. Lovely restaurant, cozy, attached lounge, and well appointed rooms. I stayed on a high floor, in the old/original part of the hotel, with a bathtub. I’d requested this, to soak in, after a long day of travel, but really, when you’re tired, you just want a hot shower, and bed. So I get why so many hotels and cruise ships no longer feature bathtubs. The hotel is in a central, convenient neighborhood- quick ride from airport, and super quick ride to cruise port. The Gas Lamp district, with all the restaurants etc- is right there too. Very friendly, helpful staff. My only issue was- I didn’t seem to be able to raise the temperature in my room, and I was cold- what with the crazy “Pineapple Express” weather system going on then. Another positive- the hotel is nowhere near any flood zones! Definitely recommend.

Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed February 14, 2024 via mobile

Great older hotel. Weather and work on the building keeps me from rating higher (I know not their fault on weather) but my bathroom window would not shut so constant rain and wind was annoying. On site food was not up to par with the hotel, but beds were very comfortable and turn down service an added bonus.

Room tip: Eat at surrounding restaurants
Date of stay: February 2024
Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed February 9, 2024

Excellent hotel in the heart of San Diego, close to all restaurants, can walk to the Convention center. The room was lovely with all amenities and a safe, as well as a electric kettle for tea & coffee. Wonderful hospitality and top-class bar & restaurant / grill. We could have a delicious brunch on Saturday morning and enjoyed amazing dishes, including duck!

Room tip: Definitely eat at the U.S. Grant Grill: amazing food!
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed January 16, 2024 via mobile

unfortunately, the room standard vastly underwhelms for a luxury edition collection hotel in San Diego amongst the many other Marriott brands available in this city.

While accounting for the aged nature of the hotel and current exterior renovations, it is well below average standard for large holes in the window
curtains and windows with no curtains, especially at this price point.
This type of room #843 , provides an even more run down and unkept feel to this hotel. “Lower” branded hotels within the Marriott collection have better room decor maintenance than this one.

As a titanium member I was very disappointed. I would have switched hotels to be close to the water except that this was the hotel site for my meeting.

For price and location you can certainly do better.

Room tip: Wait to stay until remodeling interior and exterior has been full fully accomplished
Trip type: Travelled on business
Andres Perez Hermosa, Guest Services / Front Office at THE US GRANT, a Luxury Collection Hotel, San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2024

Dear Guest,

We're sorry to hear about your disappointing experience at The US Grant San Diego. Your feedback is essential, and we apologize for the room issues you encountered. We're actively working to improve, and we hope you'll consider giving us another chance in the future.

Reviewed December 21, 2023

Beautiful hotel both inside and out. Room was lovely. If you are staying in downtown San Diego this is a solid choice. Staff were pretty good for the most part. Housekeeping didn't clean our room and we called requesting them to do so. We came back a few hours later and no one had shown up. Besides that this hotel was nice and interior was luxurious.

Date of stay: November 2023