“Nice Laksa and Nasi Goreng”
Review of Laut

Laut
Ranked #1,506 of 14,125 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Flatiron District
Reviewed 21 September 2017

Went here for lunch with some friends. I had the laksa, which was good - nice and sour and well flavoured. My friend had the nasi goreng, which was even better and that's what I would recommend!

Reviewed 29 August 2017

It is a restaurant that has been awarded a Michelin award, something that itself tells you to go there an try the food, and as i like Malaysian food it was more of a reason to visit this place.

I ordered for veg fried rice, spring rolls & famous Teh-Tarik (Tea) and i can say they deserve that award.

What i liked: As i am allergic to some sauces the staff was kind enough to make them to my choice of ingredients and also spiciness, spring rolls were crisp and Teh-tarik was something was a highlight for me so much that i carried one back for myself.

Tips: I would highly recommend this place if you want to have Malaysia, Singaporean or a Thai meal

Reviewed 21 August 2017

Sharing an excerpt from my blog post on Laut below:

"One of the first Malaysian restaurants in NYC to be awarded a Michelin Star, Laut was the definition of the usage “blew me away” and I could not possibly emphasize it enough. Although this list is in no particular order, I cannot help but place this restaurant, that gives off a mini Malaysian food street vibe, right at the top. Quite contrary to the popular notion on what Michelin Star restaurants should look and feel like, Laut is a welcome change. The place has a lovely, jovial ambience with people chattering away to their hearts content while digging into yummy looking plates of food, which works best for someone like me who prefers a relaxed, comfortable environment to a place that makes you feel like even the cutlery is judging you.
Even the food was so heartily presented and that I feel deserves more credit that it gets, since it helps in building an appetite in me, as opposed to the fancy-schmancy, sometimes bordering on over-the-top plating which makes me rethink my life choices. But hey! That’s strictly a personal opinion. As I keep harping time and again, I feel food is supposed to bring you joy; it is something that should fill your tummy and your soul. The food at Laut ticked all these boxes for me as I could taste the love and the sheer effort that had gone behind the preparation of every bite on our plates.

What we ordered:

Singapore Chili Crab– Crispy fried, soft shelled crabs dunked in a lovely, sweet and sour chili sauce with a dropped egg adding wonders to the velvety texture of the sauce. Served with fried and steamed Manatau. It would be a crime if you were to walk out of Laut without giving this dish a go. Period.

Nasi Goreng: Nasi Goreng translates to ‘fried rice’ is Indonesian and Malay and is a popular main dish in those areas. The Nasi Goreng served at Laut, with sumptuous amounts of shrimp was by far the best I have had in a long time. The explosion of flavor in my mouth after the first bite will not be forgotten that easily. Huge hit.

Nasi Lemak: Considered to be the national dish of Malaysia, the Nasi Lemak yet again was nothing short of amazing. This was a plateful of food comprising rice, some pineapple sambal, dried anchovies fried, some pickled prawns and succulent pieces of chicken coated in a thick gravy, somewhat resembling a ‘roast’ as the term would mean in south India.

Young Coconut Pudding– The soufflé which was filled into an actual green coconut got my thumbs up even before I tasted it for the sheer beauty in presentation. And when I did taste it, boy oh boy, the silky texture of the soufflé with the right amount of sweetness made it so refreshing and light on the tummy that it felt like the perfect way to end such an incredible meal.

Having said all this, if you have an inkling at the back of your mind that this meal (along with other appetizers) would have cost us a fortune, please rest assured that you are thoroughly mistaken. The Michelin Star is solely in terms of food quality and this is yet another feather on Laut’s cap."

Check out my blog (link on my profile) for more photos and more details!

Reviewed 11 August 2017 via mobile

Having lived in Malaysia, I often crave real Malaysian food, and am often dissatisfied. Not this place, very authentic.

Reviewed 11 August 2017

Amazing food, super authentic! Very young and loud atmosphere. Great selection of draft beers! Get the fried chicken pot stickers and spring rolls, amazing! They deliver.

The food is great it just gets very loud sometimes. Very casual, very good.