“Good location but quite noisy and feels a bit tired”
Review of SIXTY LES

SIXTY LES
Ranked #148 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
London
“Good location but quite noisy and feels a bit tired”
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I really couldn't fault the staff at this hotel - they were incredibly helpful and polite but not too 'in your face'.

The rooms are really big by NY standard and location is great for Broadway and the LES. I didn't go in the pool but that's a big bonus for summer.

I personally had a room with an adjoining door to another room and I could hear everything from the next room which I found a bit annoying. Everything from their shower to what they were talking about.

The rooms feel a bit dark and the space could be better laid out I think. Everything felt a bit dated compared to the other Thompson hotels I've stayed in.

Overall really good but not amazing! The staff made up for what the room lacked.

Room Tip: Pick high-up and not a room with an adjoining door.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank jgdd

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Hebrew first
Toronto
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Really enjoyed my stay here. Rooms were modern, small by most standards - but fair size by Manhattan standards. Free wi-fi in the lounge and main floor was great.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank janyyz
New York City, New York
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Having had wonderful stays at other Thompson properties in Manhattan, I was very pleased to see this hotel come up on the list of available properties on the HotelTonight app and booked a Sat night room at a very low rate. At my last two stays at the Smyth in TriBeCa, I was offered an upgrade, had a wonderful room and an impeccable stay, so I can only guess that status as a 'discount booker' was to blame for the treatment I received.

I arrived at 3:15 and was told that the room wasn't ready yet - no problem, I'll kill some time in the neighborhood. 4:15 and the room wasn't ready (coupons for a free breakfast were offered but could not be located) so I waited in the 7th floor bar, which was already a haven for loud groups at that hour. More time passes without being contacted and I'm getting freaked out because I had to be in Brooklyn at 6pm, so I call the front desk again at 4:45 and was told that their system crashed and they would have to call housekeeping directly. "Would you, please" was my reply, which clearly didn't light any fires because at 5pm I went back down to the lobby and - with no evident temper flare - had to beg them to call and check. The girl behind the desk did, and wouldn't you know that the room was ready! Who knows how long it had been ready, since clearly no one was bothering to check, and had I not gone downstairs I doubt I would have heard anything at all.

My excitement was short lived, however, because my room (810) was:
a) By far the smallest that I have ever stayed in (and I have stayed in numerous boutique hotels in NYC and elsewhere and know what to expect) and...
b) Directly above the 7th floor lounge, offering thumping music well into the night, allowing me to forget the onset of claustrophobia and concentrate instead on the decibel-shattering bachelorette party happening 5 feet below my questionably queen-sized bed.

In short, it was very obvious that I was given 'special trestment' for having booked the way I did, and I would have refused the room (something I've never had to do, anywhere) if I had been given more than 45min between walking into the room and having to be at a restaurant in Brooklyn Heights. A note to the Thompson LES - I joined HotelTonight through Founders Club, a group consisting of young CEOs and entrepreneurs that ought to be your target demographic, so it might me unwise to assume that people using the service are unimportant bargain hunters unworthy of your best effort. This experience has not only soured me on this hotel, but made me wary of other Thompson properties and that's a shame, as their design aesthetic is exactly what I look for in a boutique hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank DrewF579
Tania G, General Manager at SIXTY LES, responded to this review, 6 April 2012
Dear Drew579,
Thank you for taking the time to share with us the experience you have on your recent stay at Thompson LES. I must apologize for the shortcomings and my team failed your expectations. Here at Thompson LES, we strive to provide exceptional services, regardless of the channel of reservation.
Drew579, we take our guests’ feedbacks very seriously. I have addressed my team on the issues point by point and I can assure you we have revised some of our processes to improve our services.
Please may I ask for you to contact me directly, I would like to invite you back.

Tania Getzova
Thompson LES
florida
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Well, personally I love this place. You do have to beg for an upgrade, beg for an early check-in, asked for an extra chair for the room and was told "we don't have any extra chairs in the hotel"..really??? now I doubt you don't have one extra chair but hey, overall I did get an upgrade to a king corner that was breathtaking in view!! The rooms are awesome..a total NYC experience. The only downside was this morning...$5.00 for a cup of coffee in a paper cup...COME ON!!!!!!!!!!...I know, I know..i'm in ny but really?? you can't throw in at least one coffee to get your guests up and going? Well, there are tons of coffee shops right around the corner so I'd say stay here but get your joe elsewhere!! All in all I'll be back..loved it & i did get my early check in:) one more suggestion..do not walk in and plop down on the beds..these beds are hard as a brick..I mean, NO give..but surprisingly I slept well and no aches or pains when I woke up!

Room Tip: ask for a corner king w/balcony...gorgeous!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jacnit
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Its not cheap but great rooms, great view, lovely sheets/beds, great shower...really polite & helpful staff. had a double deluxe room for 6 nights in end february early march. really really great location, everything is walking distance. only criticism i would have was the girl who checked us in was very unclear about the $25 dollar voucher that came as part of the package we booked so we didnt end up using it, bit annoying.... the internet, complimentary with our room, was also intermittent so i wouldnt recommend for a business trip, we stayed for 6 nights and each day i had an elaborate re-log in with special passcode etc. oh yeah and lifts are crazy slow for some reason so give yourself time if you're heading out somewhere
Over all though we'd a fantastic visit, slept really well, i didnt find it noisy at all (some reviewers seem to) & i'll without question stay there again

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank goodingrid
New Hampshire
Reviewed 25 March 2012

We went for a visit to NYC for the weekend (Feb 24th-Feb 26th) this year and enjoyed our return trip to the Thompson LES. It was very convenient to my friend's place in the East Village. We checked in late Friday night and the front desk receptionist was very friendly. My young daughter made an instant friend. The hotel staff accommodated our request for a quiet room and gave us a corner room (2 beds) with a view of the pool (closed for the season) on the quiet side of the hotel. Having stayed at the hotel before, I wasn't surprised to find the darker room due to the dark wood furnishings. Once we figured out which light switches turned on the respective lights, the room wasn't so dark. Here is a list of pros and cons of the hotel.

Pros:
1) Friendly and courteous staff. We did not have to wait for our room to become available and worked with a very friendly and capable receptionist. The bellhops/front door security men were pleasant and made sure to accommodate all our needs during the stay.
2) Comfortable beds and extra pillows. I like to sleep with extra pillows and did not have to request more at this hotel.
3) Shower was awesome! My daughter loved the rain shower and the small handheld attachment that was just at her height so she could enjoy her own little shower. The layout was a little unique since the shower was next to the bed and the frosted glass allowed her to "see" someone in the shower. The shower in this room was huge and could accommodate 3 people if needed :)
4) Close to many areas of NYC. We walked to little Italy/NoLita and had croissants at Ceci-Cela (great almond croissants and service). We also took a stroll towards Chinatown and stopped to get donuts at Doughnut Plant on Grand and bagels next door (I love NYC bagels). We took the subway to FAO Schwarz (my daughter's favorite part of the trip) and was easy to navigate from the hotel.
5) On-site gym. My husband used the gym and stated it wasn't crowded and adequately equipped.

Cons: The only reason I gave the rating a 4 instead of 5 was the toilet handle in the bathroom was coming off. We could still flush the toilet but it took some steps to make sure the handle didn't come off completely. I'm surprised the housecleaning staff did not notice this when preparing the room for the guests. Also, internet was not free (not a big deal but still annoying).

Hope you enjoy your stay as much as we did.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Fun2Travel13
alba
Reviewed 20 March 2012

The hotel is really good, the view from the rooms is great but air condition doesn't work an it's very noisy, the lifts are soo slow and never show up (it takes 10 min to get one). It's new york city, I know, but for 400$ I would expect more service. So, I suggest the hotel of course, but only with reasonable fee.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business