“Two Delicious Big Bites (Bikes) of the Big Apple!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Central Park and Harlem Bike Tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Not all bike tours are created equal. Since 2001, the expert, experienced, professional guides of Bike the Big Apple have been safely taking guests far off the "beaten path" - in all 5 boroughs! With us, you will venture into real ethnic neighborhoods, and experience what life is like beyond the skyscrapers. In fact, we are quite proud to still be the only company to do bike tours of our beloved Bronx - seldom seen by visitors to the city.Why take a bike tour? Walking tours are severely limited in the distance they can travel; you are either going to visit a very small area of the city, or spend half of your day underground. Bus tours can cover plenty, but you are completely removed from the neighborhoods by glass. On bike, you can cover much and still get a real "feel" for the neighborhoods we take you to.Come ride with us!
Davie, Florida
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Two Delicious Big Bites (Bikes) of the Big Apple!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2012

While in NYC two years ago, I heartily enjoyed a bike tour (my first bike tour) provided by this company. That tour changed my life! Upon arriving home, my husband and I each bought a bike; we then took a bike tour on our first trip abroad---in Rome! We never would have thought of doing something like that before BikeTheBigApple! Now I ride 6 miles both ways each day (weather permitting) to work where, as a high school Art teacher, I encourage my students to ride to school instead of taking the bus.
But this review is about two more tours I took with BTBA just this past month: The Park/Harlem Tour, and The Secret Streets Tour. Again, I thoroughly enjoyed myself as I rode through Manhattan and Brooklyn with two very informative guides and one amazing sweep who was on both tours. These experiences (and seeing "Once" on Broadway) are what I talk about or think about upon reflection of my week in NYC. One does not have to be in good physical shape to take these tours. The cost is more than reasonable for a semi-private tour. The other people one meets on these tours are always a pleasure to meet and learn from. And through one of these tours, you just might go out and change your life....

• Hebrew first
Tomball
“Great way to see NYC”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2012

My wife and I did the F tour of New York at night. Max and Lara (sorry if I misspelled her name) did a great job of safely guiding us around the sights and picking interesting stopping points. It was rainy the night of our ride and, except for the very beginning when it was raining hard with lightning, we rode through it. It actually kept us cool and was a welcome change from the recent hot weather. Don't do this tour if you want to linger on specific destinations. I do recommend picking an area you are interested in, taking the tour to get a ground level lay of the land and going back to those spots where you would like to go deeper. We also enjoyed all the amateur tour guides who would stop and listen to what Max was telling us and give us their side of the story. A lady in the Bowery durin a flat fix was a highlight.

UK
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

I did 'Tour A, the ethnic apple' - it was the highlight of my NY trip.

We were fortunate that the weather was perfect, combined with an easy pace and a delicious Polish lunch, this made for a really enjoyable day. Our guide Manny was great - very knowledgeable & special thanks to the sweepers Ira & Keoh (sp?)

I felt like I covered a lot of ground that I would not otherwise have seen - I wouldn't know where to visit in Queens or Brooklyn, but this tour gave me lots of ideas about where I could visit later - lots of hidden gems!

1 Thank nduk
Tooreen, Mayo, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great way to tour NYC”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2012

This tour came reccomended by a friend and it was one of the highlights of our vacation. We took the B tour out around Brooklyn. Marc (our guide) was friendly, obliging and extremely knowledgeable and the tour was interactive and fascinating. I would wholeheartedly reccomend this tour for anyone wishing to get an in depth experience of New York.

1 Thank Martin D
The Hague, The Netherlands
526 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 652 helpful votes
“Also nice when it rains”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2012

In New York they do everything they can to make you feel at home - during our trip the weather was consistently gorgeous, except the day we went biking - then it rained (a lot as well). Unsurprisingly quite a few Dutch people (but certainly not only) take the bike tour. The tour was nice and informative even though it rained (despite the prediction). The tour guys were so kind as to provide us with rain ponchos which we definitely needed. The lunch in Chinatown was fun and very cost effective.

Visited May 2012