When planning my trip to NYC I wanted to stay at an InterContinental Hotels property so that I could use a large amount of Priority Club points that I had accumulated over the past year. I also wanted a hotel that was reasonably close to Penn Station. I've always had good luck with Holiday Inn Express in the past so when this property came up in my searches I was willing to book based on previous experiences and the reviews here on TripAdvisor.
This hotel is not at Times Square. It is located on W 39th Street between 8th and 9th Avenues. The property is about a 10 minute walk up 8th Avenue from Penn Station, about a 10 minute walk via 42nd Street to the core of Times Square and a few blocks from the Port Authority Bus Terminal. Subway access can be had at Penn Station, Times Square and the Port Authority Bus Terminal. I was fine being away from the hubbub of Times Square itself. I preferred being on a quieter (for NYC standards) street.
The rooms were quiet, clean, well kept and very comfortable. They are standard Holiday Inn Express but on a much smaller scale. The has to be the smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in. However given what one could end up with in NYC I was very impressed. There are only six rooms per floor so there wasn't a huge potential for noise. The first night I was there a family of six was staying across the hall. Once I had the door closed and I was in my room I never heard them. Sleep came easily which was welcome after days of constant touring around the city. In the morning a standard Holiday Inn Express breakfast was available. This is a huge savings in my book as a standard breakfast in NYC can be quite expensive.
Staff at the hotel was friendly and helped me with all of the questions that I had no matter how trivial they might have seemed to a native New Yorker. Their help gave me the information I needed to get around the city with a minimum of troubles. This included email correspondences I had with Mike prior to my arrival. His answers allowed me to pre-plan important aspects of the trip. Ever staff member from the managers to the housekeeping staff greeted the guests. This made me feel very welcome.
I do have a couple of things that kept me from giving the hotel a 5 of 5 rating:
- I had a very difficult time keeping the temperature stable in my room. It seemed that whatever mode the climate control was in - heat or AC - if you changed the temperature a few degrees either way it would turn on the opposite of what was on to warm or cool the room. I would have preferred the system just turn off and wait like a home system would do. I will say that over the two days I was there the outdoor temperature varied greatly so the system may have been confused.
- Both mornings of my stay the continental breakfast was not ready at 6:30 AM which is the stated opening time. They were still setting up. People were waiting each day. I would recommend to the hotel that they start setting up at 6:00 AM to be ready for the early birds.
I enjoyed my stay very much at the Holiday Inn Express Times Square. Comfortable rooms, friendly staff and a location that worked well for me. The next time I am in the city I will definitely put this property at the top of my list.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This New York City hotel offers location close to Times Square. Located in the middle of Manhattan, the newly renovated Holiday Inn Express New York Times Square offers comfortable accommodations near New York s biggest attractions. With LaGuardia (LGA) and JFK International (JFK) both less than 15 minutes away, you'll find it easy getting to and from your destinations. Within walking distance of our Manhattan hotel, you can find a wealth of attractions. Just a block from our New York City hotel is Times Square and Broadway theatres. Other well known New York attractions such as the Empire State Building, Broadway and Central Park are within a few blocks of our hotel in Manhattan. Located near 42nd Street, our hotel is close to the main subway lines so you can get around the city easily. For the business traveler, there are many major New York business attractions located near our hotel in New York City. Major headquarters including Merrill Lynch, Legg Mason and Ernst & Young are all within walking distance of our New York City accommodations. With our convenient Manhattan location, you can make it on time to all your New York City meetings. Consider starting your day with one of our famous cinnamon rolls from the hot breakfast bar. Additionally, you can stay connected throughout your entire stay at our New York City hotel with free high-speed Internet access. Book your New York City room reservations now at our Manhattan hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, IHG, Ctrip TA, Travelocity.ca, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Holiday Inn Express New York City Times Square reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express New York City Times Square Hotel New York City