“Worked for Me”

Ranked #288 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Fairfax, VA
“Worked for Me”
Reviewed 6 April 2012

When planning my trip to NYC I wanted to stay at an InterContinental Hotels property so that I could use a large amount of Priority Club points that I had accumulated over the past year. I also wanted a hotel that was reasonably close to Penn Station. I've always had good luck with Holiday Inn Express in the past so when this property came up in my searches I was willing to book based on previous experiences and the reviews here on TripAdvisor.

This hotel is not at Times Square. It is located on W 39th Street between 8th and 9th Avenues. The property is about a 10 minute walk up 8th Avenue from Penn Station, about a 10 minute walk via 42nd Street to the core of Times Square and a few blocks from the Port Authority Bus Terminal. Subway access can be had at Penn Station, Times Square and the Port Authority Bus Terminal. I was fine being away from the hubbub of Times Square itself. I preferred being on a quieter (for NYC standards) street.

The rooms were quiet, clean, well kept and very comfortable. They are standard Holiday Inn Express but on a much smaller scale. The has to be the smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in. However given what one could end up with in NYC I was very impressed. There are only six rooms per floor so there wasn't a huge potential for noise. The first night I was there a family of six was staying across the hall. Once I had the door closed and I was in my room I never heard them. Sleep came easily which was welcome after days of constant touring around the city. In the morning a standard Holiday Inn Express breakfast was available. This is a huge savings in my book as a standard breakfast in NYC can be quite expensive.

Staff at the hotel was friendly and helped me with all of the questions that I had no matter how trivial they might have seemed to a native New Yorker. Their help gave me the information I needed to get around the city with a minimum of troubles. This included email correspondences I had with Mike prior to my arrival. His answers allowed me to pre-plan important aspects of the trip. Ever staff member from the managers to the housekeeping staff greeted the guests. This made me feel very welcome.

I do have a couple of things that kept me from giving the hotel a 5 of 5 rating:

- I had a very difficult time keeping the temperature stable in my room. It seemed that whatever mode the climate control was in - heat or AC - if you changed the temperature a few degrees either way it would turn on the opposite of what was on to warm or cool the room. I would have preferred the system just turn off and wait like a home system would do. I will say that over the two days I was there the outdoor temperature varied greatly so the system may have been confused.

- Both mornings of my stay the continental breakfast was not ready at 6:30 AM which is the stated opening time. They were still setting up. People were waiting each day. I would recommend to the hotel that they start setting up at 6:00 AM to be ready for the early birds.

I enjoyed my stay very much at the Holiday Inn Express Times Square. Comfortable rooms, friendly staff and a location that worked well for me. The next time I am in the city I will definitely put this property at the top of my list.

Room Tip: Higher up "City View" rooms have a nice view of the Hudson River and the New Jersey skylin...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank TravellerMH
HIXTSFOM, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City Times Square, responded to this review, 14 April 2012
Thank you very much for sharing your feedback about your recent stay with us! We appreciate you being a loyal Priority Club member and are honored that you chose our hotel to redeem your Reward Nights. We were delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate you researching our hotel prior to your arrival. We are disappointed that you experienced a few hiccups during your stay but are thankful that you brought these items to our attention. We will definitely utilize your comments to improve our services for future guest. Once again, thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
fredrikstad
Reviewed 3 April 2012

The hotel was very good:
-Breakfast included was nice
-Close to Times Square but the area was quiet (made it possible to sleep:-)
-Room was (from many here at tripadvisor) told to be very small, but compared to other hotels I have visited in NYC, it was not that small
-Hotel looked new and fresh
-Serviceminded staff!

What I did miss: Safety deposit box in the room, better elevator capacity and bacon at every breakfast.

Room Tip: If you do not want a room with cityview, choose a lower level room. Then you can use the stairs inst...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank andy k
Hi Andy! Thank you for reviewing your stay with us! We hope that everything exceeded your expectations and that you enjoyed your time here in NYC. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with other travelers. We hope you will choose our hotel for your next visit to NYC! Safe travels!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 1 April 2012

The location was great because of how close it was to Times Square. It's close to a Port Authority Bus, 42nd St- Times Square subway station, and if you drove into the city like my group, a parking garage is located on the same street as the hotel. However a staff member, Juicy, recommended a more reasonably priced parking garage that was only one street over. Speaking of the staff, the staff is excellent and always friendly! I worked with Juicy at the front desk and she gave us wonderful tips on where to park, where to eat, and navigating the subway. They also do a great job keeping the hotel rooms very clean and well stocked. The rooms are small but that didn't bother me at all because in the end what we wanted was a secure, clean place and we got that and more! Reasonably priced when you factor in location (and reviews about cleanliness) when comparing staying here to other hotels in the city. I definitely recommend this place!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jeany B
HIXTSFOM, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City Times Square, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Hi Jeany! Thank you so much for staying with us and for writing such a great review of our hotel! We are thrilled to see you enjoyed your stay and your time here in NYC! It’s great to see that our location was convenient for all of your activities too. Thank you for mentioning Juicy in your review. We love it when our employees get recognized on Trip Advisor! Thank you for recommending us to other travelers and we sincerely hope to have you stay with us again soon!
Reviewed 31 March 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 week at the end of march with my girlfriend,checked in early which was a bonus, front of desk where so polite and friendly.room was on floor 25 was very clean and tidy.
Free breakfast sets you up for the day it's amazing and the cinnamon rolls are perfect!!
The staff working in the hotel are really polite.
We could even checkout at 2pm this was a bonus because our flight back to the uk wasn't until 8pm so that was perfect,they even stored our luggage until we needed it and called a cab! It's these little touches me alot.My only niggle ( small one ) was sometimes you have to wait a little while for the lift but that's not too bad.
Highly recommend this hotel as the location to times square and metro are perfect.
Well done holiday inn express I would visit again 9.5/10

Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Stemacc
HIXTSFOM, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City Times Square, responded to this review, 1 April 2012
Thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us! We greatly appreciate you choosing our hotel out of the numerous lodging options in NYC. We know that choosing a great hotel can be daunting, but we hope your choice to stay with us was an easy one! We apologize for the delays you experienced with our elevators, but we are happy to report that it is something we are currently addressing in order to improve our services. Thanks again for the great review and we hope to see you again soon!
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 28 March 2012

My husband and I just went to NYC for the first time and satyed in the Holiday Inn Express Time Square from Tues. March 13- Fri. March 16, 2012

This is literally around the corner from Time Square. It was not only a very convient location, but it was extremely clean (as I have a high standard of cleanliness and can be extremely picky). The breakfast area could have more room .. however, it is NYC. Great "free" breakfast.
If I ever go back to NYC, this is the place I will stay.
Staff was extremely helpful and pleasant to get help from.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MellyCook
HIXTSFOM, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City Times Square, responded to this review, 31 March 2012
Hi MellyCook! From the entire staff here at the Holiday Inn Express Times Square, we would like to thank you and your husband for choosing our hotel for your recent trip to NYC! We are delighted to see you enjoyed your stay and your time here in New York. We hope that everything exceeded your expectations and that we were able to provide a nice place to rest your head at the end of your busy days. We sincerely hope to have you stay with us again soon! Thanks again!
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Rooms are small but I understand real state is tight in NYC!!! This hotel is conveniently located near times square!! It is great for couples!!!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Hi there! We’d like to thank you for the outstanding review of our hotel! We really can’t express how much we appreciate our guests taking the time to share their experiences with other travelers. The word of mouth created is astounding and we couldn’t be more grateful. We hope everything about your stay exceeded your expectations and we would love to have you stay with us again soon! Safe travels!
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 24 March 2012

We chose this hotel because of our previous experiences with Holiday Inn Express, all of which have been positive. The price seemed reasonable, and the location near Times Square and right next to the Port Authority Bus Terminal were great for us, since we were first-time visitors to NYC. The staff was really nice and very helpful, answering all our questions and demonstrating a desire to make our visit special. I would stay here again, and I would certainly recommend it to others.

Room Tip: The staff assigned a room away from the street side of the building to minimize noise, and our room...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
HIXTSFOM, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City Times Square, responded to this review, 25 March 2012
Hi there! Thank you for choosing our hotel and for being a loyal Holiday Inn guest! We sincerely hope that everything about the stay exceeded your expectations. We’re happy to see that our location was convenient for you activities and that we were able to make your trip a special one. Thank you so much for recommending us to others travelers and we hope to have you stay with us again soon!