“Can't go wrong @ ink48”

Kimpton Ink48 Hotel
Ranked #69 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Ink48 served as my home away from home while taking in a few Broadway shows and miscellaneous activities around town. My 3-night stay during Super Bowl weekend was not only comfortable but relaxing too. I rarely saw other guests in the lobby, and barely heard street noise from my room on the 11th floor. As described by others you’re a bit away from the normal hustle & bustle but only a few blocks away from 9th Avenue/Restaurant Row which has everything you’ll need. I took the easy stroll around the corner to Sullivan’s Bakery, and there’s a Starbucks up the way for those who can’t drink anything but. The complimentary tea and coffee is a nice touch but unfortunately I could only take advantage one morning as it is over at 9am. Ventured up to the rooftop bar and it’s a gorgeous view. What I didn’t understand is why such a beautiful space isn’t available to the public. One must possess a hotel room key to show security before entering the elevator.

As for the accommodations, my only negative observation was the bathroom towels. Each day I noticed maybe one or two that could stand to be pulled from rotation: a little thin and dingy. Otherwise the rooms are clean and the furniture is well-maintained. You may hear a door slam here or there but nothing worth mentioning. And I loved the animal print bath robes.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to others who don’t mind being a few steps outside of the crowded streets and honking horns. But as others have noted it is a bit remote especially when walking back from Times Square after dark. Enjoy your stay and don't forget to join the Kimpton rewards program before arriving for free WiFi and other benefits.

Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank cokosmomma
Olimpia M, Manager at Kimpton Ink48 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2012

Hi Cokosmomma!

Thanks for adding the fantastic photos! I am glad that you were able to enjoy living like a local at Ink48. Sullivan Street Bakery is one of the best in NYC, and we are so fortunate to have them just half a block away from us! My favorite item there is the Bomboloni in the morning - too delicious. When you come back, you must try them! Kimpton InTouch, our loyalty program, is a super valuable tool when booking with Kimpton, so keep that number handy, and be sure to use it when you book with Kimpton in the future to be sure you get great upgrades, as well as the other amenities.

Olimpia.Mordan@ink48.com

Write a ReviewReviews (3,257)

Reviewed 6 February 2012

We are a British couple and have just returned from a 3 night break in NYC. The hotel is on the corner of 48th and 11th, and about a 15 - 20 minute walk from Times Square and about 5 minutes from the USS Intreprid.

We had a Riverview Terrace Room on the 8th floor. Absolutely fabulous view overlooking the Hudson and the USS Intrepid. It had a lounge area, with TV and window, and the main bedroom also with TV and large window. The bathroom was huge and plenty of amenities. The bed was also huge and really comfortable.

By joining the Kimpton InTouch loyalty scheme you get free access to (an excellent) wifi service and $15 worth of mini items for the stay. We also had a package that included a continental breakfast, which is a a choice of juice, tea/coffee, toast/muffin/scone and a fruit salad. We found this quite enough and kept us going until lunch.

There is a wine hour between 5 and 6, where you can meet with Jeffrey (concierge services) and sample some nice wines for free. Jeffrey is also exceptionally helpful at arranging outings and is well connected to staff at many of the top restaurants/bars etc.

There is a good gym. Small, but with enough new equipment to get a good workout done. There is also a spa; we did not use this, but with the loyalty scheme you get a $30 voucher to go towards a treatment. Newspapers are available and a very good restaurant onsite (called Print) and a lovely bar on the 16th floor.

The staff were always very friendly and helpful. The hotel is only 2 years old apparently and still looks and feels very clean and tidy. Our only criticism is that there was quite a lot of noise at night, even on the 8th floor. The room is double glazed, but with the option to open some of the windows slightly, this may allow some extra noise through. Nevertheless, it certainly wouldn't put us off staying again!

We found a local Italian on tripadvisor while there. It is called Patzeria and is well priced and does excellent pizzas. It is probably about a 15 minute walk from the hotel.

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel. It is affordable, clean and well located for the city. We stay in many top brand hotels around the world and this is well up there with them. The free wifi, wine tasting, minibar voucher all show that the Kimpton chain is clearly trying to add that extra value on the bigger brands and it really does pay off. If you are happy to be a 15 - 20 minute walk from Times Square then seriously consider this hotel.

Room Tip: We would recommend the Hudson River view. We had a Riverview Terrace room on the 8th, which was fabu...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank edberks
obriggs, Manager at Kimpton Ink48 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2012

Dear Edberks,

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your review of Ink48. You had so many positive things to say about your experience and I love when our guests share their experiences with the world! I'm so happy you had a Hudson River view and utilized a lot of our amenities on property. I hope you had a safe trip back to Europe and we hope you will return again one day.

Kind Regards,

Olivia

Reviewed 4 February 2012

Recently stayed at Ink48 - What a place! Very clean, polite staff, and awesome views.... We'll be back for sure. It's also an easy in and out of NYC.

Room Tip: HUdson Views are amazing...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dave H

Dear Dave H,

I'm very happy you did stop by and got to enjoy our scenic views and interact with our wonderful staff. We cant wait to have you back!

Kind Regards,

Olivia

Reviewed 4 February 2012

We had such a great time at this hotel we came back. This time we brought along several friends with us and enjoyed the Christmas vibe in New York. Once again the hotel, staff and location exceeded everyones expectations. Whether its was the doormen, front counter staff to the manager himself the service was professional and courteous.

Special mention to consierge Jeffrey who once again was outstanding! He made all of our dining out reservations and every pick was fabulous. Jeffrey provided great recommendations for day trips, shopping, etc. Given it was our second trip back to INK 48 in three months, we definelty felt the staff's gratitude and we were surprisingly upgraded to a large room with an amazing view!! Jeffrey's attention to detail and service was once again second to none and we left with a plan to return as soon as we possibly can. We have been vacationing in NYC since the 90's and we have to say the experience at INK 48 has been our best and we will always stay with them.

Take the time to check out their website and pay attention to the skyline view from the hotel rooftop lounge, it is absolutely breathtaking on the site however in person it is so amazing it almost does not seem real!!

Room Tip: Request a view of the Hudson River or Manhattan skyline. You will not be disappointed with either.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank a h

Hi A H!

I hope that Spring has started for you up in Halifax! Thanks for your posting. I am elated to hear about your experience at Ink48, and that you enjoyed not just this stay, but that you have had excellent service consistently. We strive to make each time you come to visit a "wow," so I am glad to know that we are hitting our mark. Jeffrey, our Lead Concierge, is always up for helping to plan anything, so I am glad that that you have discovered him as a resource! Please let either Jeffrey (Jeffrey.Behrens@ink48.com) or myself know when you are going to be coming back, as I would love to personally introduce myself!

Reviewed 3 February 2012

Stayed at Ink48 for 1 night to celebrate two birthdays, I had let Jeffery know of this before hand, as he had asked if there is anything he could do via email a day prior. A complimentary bottle of champaign had been delivered when we quickly stepped out to walk around the neighborhood right before dusk. (there were two giant cruise ships docked at this time). To our delight, we came back and found the champaign and a birthday card note. Pretty good Jeffery, that was a nice touch there.

The room was pretty clean, we faced east towards manhattan as requested (among other things requested, all of which Jeffery was able to accomodate somehow). There were no noises of dogs anywhere to be found (dog friendly hotel). I like the hotel, I am really not dog friendly at all unfortunately. So I am really happy that there were no such sounds coming from anywhere as I would have surely complained to the front desk. I do not believe dogs should stay unattended, that's just asking for trouble.

We got haggled by the security guy that stands out in front of the roof top elevator in the downstairs lobby, he asked for our ID's when he should have just asked if we were hotel guests and if he could see our room keys. He gave my girl friend a hard time with her pasport. I would advise this guy to not be so serious, this is a hotel for adults, not a dive bar for kids. I would have gotten annoyed but I was too anxious to get upstairs.

One of the waitresses on the rooftop took the $20 I put down for a single vodka pineapple drink and kept the remaning money, I did not really have the energy to pursue the witch hunt to find this woman and tell her where is my change, but whatever. I considered that very rude, there is nothing the hotel can do about that other than to ensure they hire people who have integrity.

The PRINT restaurant was interesting, we never ended up scheduling dinner like Jeffrey had suggested a day prior in his email, but we tried to do so last minute and he ended up squeezing us in with just a 30minute wait time, bravo there. Food was pretty good, and the decor was great.

All in all, I will be back in the spring time, the price is good and the customer service was excellent.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lbxjt

Hi lbxjt,

Thanks for posting your thoughts and experiences on your stay at Ink48! I am glad that you and Jeffrey, our Lead Concierge, connected. He loves to curate a guest experience to tailor fit it to you wants and needs. I am glad you had a chance to dine at Print for dinner! The cuisine at our restaurant is something we are truly proud of! Please reach out to Jeffrey when your travels bring you back to NYC, as I am sure he would love to help put your next visit to New York together! Jeffrey.Behrens@ink48.com

Reviewed 2 February 2012

We are frequent visitors to Manhattan and chose to stay at this hotel for the first time because we had planned a cruise leaving from the City Pier and hoped to spend some pre-cruise time in one of our favorite cities. The weekend we arrived was probably the coldest of the winter and we spent less time walking throughout the city as we would ordinarily do. Jeffrey, the concierge gave us excellent tips for nearby spots for breakfast - at his suggestion, we enjoyed a wonderful breakfast at the Market Diner just a few blocks downtown from Ink48.

We met our daughter for drinks in the rooftop bar with its wonderful views of the City and the River. We can only imagine how spectacular this must be on a warmer evening.

We were upgraded to a deluxe room with a view of the river and the pier. It was spacious, clean and well appointed. Because we are Kimpton members, we received complementary snacks from the honor bar and discount on spa services. The spa is independent of the hotel and when we had a problem with a reservation for a service, Jeffrey immediately resolved it to our satisfaction and with kind words. The bath products and toiletries towels and linens were top notch.

Although the location of Ink48 may seem out of the way to some (because there have not been many hotels in this area) it is only blocks from Rockefeller Center, Times Square and Columbus Circle. The neighborhood is lighted, well-maintained and seems safe. I would highly recommend Ink48 and hope to return there in the not too distant future.

Room Tip: Rooms with a river view are exciting!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank 808foodfan
Olimpia M, Manager at Kimpton Ink48 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2012

Foodfan0407-
I have to admit, you had me at your name! I am a foodie, too! Your glowing review made this sunny day in NYC a little brighter! Jeffrey absolutely works to his fullest to make sure each guest gets personalized service with each visit - it's a cornerstone of Kimpton. The Press Lounge offers incredible views of the city, and I am thrilled that you were able to take a moment to enjoy it! Feel free to reach out to Jeffrey directly when you travels bring you back to NYC, I am sure he would love to have the chance to put his special touch on your trip ! Jeffrey.Behrens@ink48.com.

Reviewed 2 February 2012

This is another Kimpton success. The decor is classy and comfortable, the wine tasting is delish, and the service is top, top, top notch. Although it's a bit out of the way (all the way on the west side), it's a safe and easy to walk to Broadway, shopping, and/or the metro. The beds are comfortable, the rooms are very large for NYC and the view is awesome on the upper floors. Don't miss the roof deck....it's worth the extravagant prices for a very memorable pre or post dinner cocktail.

Room Tip: Join the Kimpton loyalty club (free) for internet service and great deals including discounted upgra...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Escapists2

Hi Liliagain!

Thanks for your glowing review. It may have only taken a few minutes, but your words of encouragement and praise are not lost on us, at Ink48. We think our short distance to Times Square is a total asset, giving our guests some space to breathe within the hub-bub of NYC. Please feel free to reach out to me directly when returning to NYC, and I will be sure to make your next stay even more special.