3,473 results
All reviews hell's kitchen press lounge rooftop bar hudson river hudson suite stephen field wine hour west side times square new york intrepid museum city view wine reception javits center floor to ceiling windows bottle of champagne few blocks
Reviewed July 17, 2018

I am so conflicted writing this review because on one hand this hotel is fantastic with some great amenities and the biggest rooms we've ever had in New York. We had a corner room on the 8th floor and the views were fantastic, I sat on the window ledge with my morning coffee from the complimentary coffee station in the lobby and took in the incredible city views not granted when you stay right in the heart of midtown. However, the hotel is located right on 11th Avenue and the traffic noise right through the night was crazy! We have stayed on 5th and 7th Avenue before and heard nothing like that. Furthermore, there is an open air rooftop bar directly opposite the hotel and the music goes on to 2AM on the weekends. After that, be prepared for the party goers to scream, shout and laugh their way into the morning for at least another hour. We were still awake at 4AM on Sunday morning without having had a single wink of sleep. I think the sound proofing is incredibly low quality and it is solely this that would stop me returning to this hotel as otherwise, it has everything I need and want for a short NYC break.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 777lyndseyp
Olimpia M, Manager at Kimpton Ink48 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2018

Hi Lyndsey B,

I would like to thank you for providing feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed all that we have to offer here at Ink48. The club across the street has been an ongoing issue that we have brought to cities attention. I do appreciate your patience while we tend to this matter and I hope this does not effect your overall outlook of the hotel. Please contact us directly if you should decide to stay with us again and we will try our best to place you in a room on the opposite end. Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed July 16, 2018

The staff at this hotel make it well worth the stay. Our every request was attended to as quickly as you can imagine. It is within walking distance to the theatre district (15 min) and the harbor, to take a boat to several other key locations such as Statue of Liberty, 9/11 Memorial and other stops along the harbor (5 min to harbor). It is in an older building but updated nicely.

Stayed: June 2018

Reviewed July 15, 2018 via mobile

We enjoyed this hotel and found it very clean and the bed comfortable. The location was fine for accessing the theater and waterfront. The people working there were all very pleasant. The only caveat is that at least in the summer it is extremely noisy on the right side of the hotel where the double queen rooms are located. There is a rooftop bar in the building next door that is rocking at least on Friday, Saturday and Sunday when we were there. We experienced very loud music, as well as people screaming in a fun way. This lasted past 2 AM. We first had a room on the 4th floor and complained about the noise so they moved us to the 9th floor. This helped a little bit, but because we needed 2 beds they could not move us to other side of the hotel.

I would stay here again, but probably not in the summer if I needed a 2 bed room.

Stayed: July 2018
Olimpia M, Manager at Kimpton Ink48 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2018

Hi HappyTravelerfromBos

Thank you for your feedback. The club across the street has been an ongoing issue that we have brought to cities attention. I do appreciate your patience while we tend to this matter and I hope this does not effect your overall outlook of the hotel. Please contact us directly if you should decide to stay with us again and we will try our best to place you in a room on the opposite end. Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed July 15, 2018 via mobile

The rooms are small, but typical of NYC. Nicely appointed, but how about a chair? Guess not enough room. Room was bright and white, but no blackout shade. I guess they wanted style over sleep. Speaking of which, lots of noise outside beyond typical NYC noise. Perhaps from the club on the roof of the hotel? People who enjoy their sleep might want to look elsewhere. Otherwise decent location, good price.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with friends

Hi RickG843,

Reviewed July 15, 2018 via mobile

We love the room and it’s spaciousness and the views even from our fourth floor northwest corner room are outstanding. The bathroom is huge and the high ceilings are a plus. The bed is comfortable and the room has a cozy feel in spite of feeling large for a NYC regular non-suite hotel space. The coffee station in the morning is among the best I have ever experienced or tasted and the rooftop deck is just about the largest I have been to in NYC with spectacular views. I would recommend you come here ...

however, allow me to give you some public warnings ahead of time to address the issues that have been well documented on Trip Advisor.

Had I read the reviews here prior to booking the hotel, we would have either done things differently, or more likely, we would have stayed elsewhere.

1. The most important thing you should know is that the hotel management is fully aware of the noise and clearly is not doing the following:

A. Notifying hotel guests about the absolute and essential need for earplugs and a sound machine to drown out the chanting, screaming, loud fighting, noisy car leaping/jumping, and clearly and unbelievably raucous intoxicated partiers who exit the nightclub from the 48th Street side. I was informed by the night auditor that the management calls the nightclub hourly but I saw no one from the club outside to deal with the behavior. Having worked closing shifts from after hours nightclubs myself, what I see lacking here is a security presence for the revelers. Being aware of the problem and doing nothing about their own safety in the streets makes everyone liable for their well being as well as the ability for anyone to sleep on the lower floors of those on the 48th side of the hotel. I should have done some phone video to show you just how bad the noise is and how unruly the partiers are. No written review alone can truly prepare you for what you will encounter here.

B. The only thing management is doing is to apologize after the fact and say they are doing something but they have not been able to accomplish anything since these issues were apparently published starting in 2016. I called tonight and there was nothing the auditor offered to me except to inform the night manager. I called the hotel prior to posting this review because I believe in communicating with a hotel before writing something negative on this site. It’s the same courtesy I would expect were the shoe on the other foot.

2. Of lesser import, be aware that unless you are taller than us, we are short at 5’4” and 5’5”, you will not be able to reach the shower head to move it because it is super tall. Never have I ever encountered a shower head in my entire life that was placed so high that I could not manage to move the shower head without leaping. It was originally positioned to displace half of the water against the wall. Who is going to call the front desk once you discover this when you are already wet and naked? Not I. I chose to use what little athleticism I possess in my middle age to attempt to get water directly on my head.

3. The management still has not any outside door people, which would be fine for me and for probably most guests who don’t care to have a door person were it not for the heaviest front doors I have ever encountered at a hotel. They have known about this challenge for their guests for well over 18 months and have not installed lighter doors, or a push button door opening system. Tomorrow morning I will report back if I even see a sign in case someone does not have the ability to get into the hotel on their own. What would someone do if they had mobility issues aside from waiting for a well mannered hotel guest to assist them?

4. Although the Kimpton developers put some excellent features in the building which are quite nice, they have yet to address what I consider non standard windows on the lower floors. Having lived on the second floor of a NYC condo on 6th Avenue near 23rd, I know what street noise sounds like. And I am comfortable with it. I have been a major city dweller since 1989. Thing is, these windows at Kimpton Ink48 block nothing short of about 10 decibels and I am not exaggerating. There has been ample time for management to address the sound and it makes me wonder if they do not believe the expense will provide any return on their investment. I think it should improve their guests’ stays and ultimately their return visit rate.

So there you have it. My warnings about the place coupled with the amazing features of the hotel. If you are fully able, taller than 5’10, comfortable with extremely loud noise, stay in any room at this hotel and not to worry, you will five-star this place in a jiffy. I have to agree with the other posters who notice or mention that they feel this hotel is geared toward the younger or the party set. Read some of the other observations and you will understand what I mean. We are 40 and 49 and neither of those.

My recommendation is only to stay on a floor level above 12 and on the west side of the building facing the Hudson River. My fellow Kimpton Ink48 reviewers are probably right that the higher floors and the west side, mostly if not entirely, remove the biggest problem (the partiers’ noise) and the sole reason I was immensely motivated to write out our frustrations at 4:30 in the morning.

So, yes. Do stay at this hotel but please heed our warnings. Thank you for reading my review. I really didn’t enjoy writing this but felt that I had to.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RPMPhilly

Hi RpmPhilly

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We apologize for the inconveniences you faced during your stay, as that is not up to our normal standards. We will share your feedback with our staff and make the necessary changes.