Dream Downtown(New York City)
US$296
US$263
  • Pool
Hotel Edison Times Square(New York City)
Free cancellation until 27/07
US$154
US$112
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Fitness centre
Savings alert! 21% below average rates

The price you found is 21% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$142/night.

Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$282
US$248
CrownePlaza.com
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Hampton Inn Manhattan-Times Square North(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$163
US$144
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 17% below average rates

The price you found is 17% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$173/night.

US$218
Doubletree.com
US$126
Savings alert! 14% below average rates

The price you found is 14% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$146/night.

The New Yorker a Wyndham Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 28/07
US$134
Savings alert! 18% below average rates

The price you found is 18% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$163/night.

Pod 51 Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 27/07
US$139
  • Bar/Lounge
Savings alert! 17% below average rates

The price you found is 17% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$167/night.

Blue Moon Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 23/07
US$139
US$90
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 51% below average rates

The price you found is 51% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$183/night.

YOTEL New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$156
US$116
Savings alert! 24% below average rates

The price you found is 24% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$152/night.

All reviewsgv habituemeatpacking districtquiet streetwhitney museumgreat hoststhe high linenew yorkcleaned regularlyplace to staycurrent magazinesfurnished with antiquesusual hotel roomhome from homefully equipped kitchennyc apartmentrestaurants and barshudson river
Reviewed June 7, 2017 via mobile

My 6th time to NYC and my wife's 2nd so we didn't wish to see the tourist traps anymore so decided the cosmopolitan Greenwich Village with its cafes, bars and restaurants would be more our thing.
And we weren't disappointed !
The building is in a super location, close to all the vibe. The rooms are spacious, and yes, they are dark and the antiques aren't my personal taste but you can't account for that, but the rooms are spotless and have what you need. The price is really attractive so take that into account if you're expecting 6 star.
I've read reports on the owners but they were pleasant with us, with good comms before we arrived.
Yes, I'd stay here again.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
GVHabitue, Owner at Greenwich Village Habitue, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2017

Hi
The Review was Great. Thank You again.
Kind Regards

Reviewed May 14, 2017

I’m always somewhat reluctant to give a bad review and genuinely try to be fair and measured in my feedback but, given I rely heavily on Trip Advisor when making my hotel choices, I feel a responsibility to be totally honest; which I hope in turn, will help others to make informed decisions. It's a few months since we stayed at GV Habitué (Sep 2016) but reading Terranora's more recent review has encouraged me to finally put my two-bobs worth in.

As Terranora mentioned, "you get what you pay for" but having read only glowing reviews prior to OUR stay, I was truly surprised and very disappointed by the reality.
On the basis of previous reviews, I'd asked for a room on a lower floor - I didn't realise that this would still mean negotiating a very steep flight of stairs because, as it turns out, there aren’t actually any rooms on the ground floor – in my emails I had stressed that we needed a lower floor because of our ages and the fact that we'd be carrying a lot of luggage; so I would have thought an email response, explaining that all the rooms are up at least one flight of stairs would have been helpful. As it was, communicating via email was challenging and I ended up having to telephone from Australia a couple of times in order to reconfirm our stay – i.e. a couple of weeks after my initial booking and again just before we were due to leave Australia. They don't take deposits, so we had nothing in writing to confirm our booking and I felt a little uncomfortable about just turning up a year after we'd booked with nothing to support our booking... but, this obviously seems to work for them.

Our stay in New York was just one week out a 4-week trip, so we had quite a bit of luggage and whilst my husband is relatively fit for his age (then 69) it was definitely a struggle to get our bags up to our room; that said, we did so without any offer of help, nor without making any fuss about it. Our room on the first floor at the front of the building was dark and, at first sight seemed quite dingy – certainly nothing like the photos (though no surprise there!) A previous guest spoke of antiques/collectibles in the rooms - well, I guess one man’s junk is another man's treasure but, this amused rather than bothered us. Being on the front of the building however, meant that we got a lot of street noise – mostly from the day-care centre directly across the road. In fairness, we hadn't stayed in this area of New York before so didn't know quite what to expect of this style of accommodation - but once I got over the initial shock, I would have been more than happy to make do – because, in fairness, the studio was spacious and adequate for our needs.

However, we found Kevin to be less than friendly and accommodating. I think he'd had a hip (or knee?) operation so was hobbling around with a walking stick and quite possibly in a lot of pain - but, having spent many years in hospitality industry myself, the golden rule is, if you can't be welcoming and consistently pleasant with guests, get someone else in who can.
After our first night, I asked as politely as possible, if there was any chance of getting a softer pillow And, just for the record, the pillows provided were rock hard and looked/felt like they hadn't been replaced in decades. To be honest, I was thinking of just going out and buying two new pillows for the duration of our stay – I thought it would be a small amount to pay but my husband suggested that perhaps they had some extra ones in storage and it would worth asking - big mistake! It seems that anything remotely resembling a criticism is taken as a personal insult - no matter how much thought is put into the wording.– I made a point of not criticise what they had provided and said that I recognised that pillows are a personal preference and some people actually prefer a hard pillow as well as a hard mattress... all the while trying not to upset/offend - which in hindsight seems a bit ridiculous since he should have been trying to make our stay as comfortable as possible, rather than me trying not to upset him… but I think I must have already got the measure of the man and realised I had to tread carefully. I thought the brief conversation went quite well and whilst he said he didn’t have any more pillows, Kevin did offer to give us one of the pillows off his bed - not exactly an appealing idea to me but I did accept the offer graciously. I hasten to add, I don’t expect feather/down pillows whenever we stay somewhere… but, I would have thought a fresh, relatively new but inexpensive foam-pillow is not too much to ask.

I appreciate my pillow story may seem a little long and unnecessary but this was just the tip of the iceberg. and merely sets the scene. On the second day, we noticed the studio at the back of the building, on the same level as ours, was open... it was clearly unoccupied so we called out to see if someone was cleaning it at the time... when no one answered we took the liberty of having a little peak inside – as it turned out, that was another big mistake; though I imagine most others would have been equally curious. The layout was very similar but, it was a much lighter/airier room than ours and certainly would have been quieter... so I asked Kevin why we hadn’t been able to allocate that room to us (especially as we'd booked about a year in advance given we had asked for a quiet room) Kevin responded: "you’re obviously not happy here, so I suggest you look for accommodation elsewhere" His manner was very threatening and since we really thought we were going to be put out on the street with nowhere else to stay, we had no choice but to try and placate him but we then spent the rest of the week trying to avoid him and lived in constant fear or running into him again.
We would obviously moved out had we been able to find nearby accommodation that wouldn't cost twice as much, given the late notice. I don't know if Kevin was particularly grouchy because he was in pain or whether he and his partner have now been doing this for far too long and are ‘over it’... but, it was a very unpleasant, unsettling experience for us and I really think it’s time they sold the place or got someone in to run it for them. We are in our late sixties and, throughout our lives, we have travelled all over the world, staying in everything from back-packer’s accommodation to 6 star hotels – but, regardless of where we stay… all we expect, is to get what we paid for – and I believe all my other TripAdvisor reviews will attest to the fact that we are always very fair and considered when making comments. Our disappointment In GV Habitué really had nothing to do with the amount of money we paid or didn't pay. It was more about the lack of civility, common courtesy and a basic level of customer service. It would have been so easy for Kevin to say, I'm sorry the room opposite was already booked out... is there anything I can do to make your stay more comfortable? And I guarantee we would have been very happy knowing that our concerns were simply be heard. But the fact is, he and his partner know only too well, how difficult it can be to find accommodation in New York – they don’t need to rely on repeat business and, they know that they don't have to work all that hard to fill their rooms. On the plus side, the rooms are cleaned regularly by a lovely man… and, Horatio Street is in a good location; though not all that close to the metro. Given our experience however, I can not recommend staying there.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Geewillikers
GVHabitue, Owner at Greenwich Village Habitue, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2017

Hello. My name is Matthew and I am the owner of the Townhouse accommodations where the Geewillikers stayed with us almost a year ago as she noted in her first paragraph. Incidentally, the above statement is NOT a review; It is a vicious, personal assault on me, my partner and my home.

Did it really take her 9 months to decide that she didn't enjoy her stay here with us? Really? 9 months? That seems to me to be quite odd and quite some time to let pass.

PLEASE NOTE: We have over 100 excellent reviews so that readers can get some idea what other quests have said about us. Please don't make a rash judgement based on one woman's opinions.

The guest completely understood when she made the booking that we live on the ground floor so the lowest floor she could possibly be on, was to be 1 flight up. Knowing that the building is from the 1860's, that there is no elevator or porter to help her with her luggage, she still proceeded to book herself into an old, historic building, instead of booking a newer, full-service hotel that has the elevators and porters she obviously needs.

She also admits to "poking around" into another apartment she thought was unoccupied. It was, truth be told, occupied. In New York one would call that Trespassing.

By the way, the apartments she poked her nose into are the exact same size and have the exact same layout as the one she was occupying. Another fact she knew before her arrival.

As for the pillows: Here's a good tip for potential guests at home. Each of our pillows are covered with 2 all-cotton pillow protectors. One is not enough. The pillow case then goes on top making sure that the pillow is kept clean and sanitary. We cannot make pillows appear out of nowhere in the middle of the night which is one of the reasons why each apartment has 4 choices of pillows to choose from.

I could go over each of her comments point by point - that's not my style - but I think one can clearly see that she has other personal issues of her own and that you cannot please everyone all of the time.

In closing, I'm quite sorry that she didn't mention her problems/concerns to us while she was still here. We would have worked with her to make her visit more enjoyable. If, after her first night with us, she had told us she was unhappy, we would have refunded her money in full - including the previous night - so that she could find accommodations more appropriate to her needs.

Thank you, in advance, for your time and consideration, in this matter.
Best Regards,

Reviewed January 14, 2017

We stayed five days at Habitue at the end of December. Previous reviews of this apartment influenced my decision to book here, given they are all so positive. We had planned to stay eleven nights, but moved on after five.

The positives of this apartment are the location and price. The Meatpacking and West Village areas are great areas for meandering, eating and drinking. We were close to the Highline, Chelsea Markets and loads of restaurants and shopping. The locality is full of character. Compared to hotel costs and serviced apartments, the price is very cheap.

The apartment did have a certain charm, but everything in the apartment is old, and is in need of an upgrade. So after a few days the charm wore off, and we moved on. What little contact we had with the owner was pleasant, and I'm sure he would be most helpful if needed, and he was most obliging when we cut short our stay.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Terranora
GVHabitue, Owner at Greenwich Village Habitue, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2017

Yes, you do get what for. We are listed as having antique filled apartments in an 1830's brownstone building. That's what we offer and that is exactly what you get. Terranora is correct there. But there are 3 brand new chic hotels within steps of here. Why book with us in the first place if you'd prefer to stay in a 9 x 12 modern hotel room, shaped like a box, paintings screwed to the wall and with no style whatsoever. The new high rise hotels near us have prices starting upwards of $500 plus tax. Our rates are always $175 plus tax. So yes, you do get what you pay for.

Reviewed November 9, 2016

We had a lovely six nights here. On a pretty street, in a fun neighborhood, in walking distance to great places to eat, visit--and the subway for easy getting around. Kevin was a friendly, helpful host who made everything easy, including our arrivals at separate times. The bed was super comfy, and the shower, while on the small side, had fantastic pressure. It was wonderful having the little kitchen for breakfast and snacks. It's not fancy--comfy, cozy, friendly, clean. A bargain for a home base to explore New York.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PortlandEm
GVHabitue, Manager at Greenwich Village Habitue, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2017

Thank you so very much for the excellent review. It's very nice to see that you enjoyed your stay with us as much as we enjoyed having you.

Reviewed November 2, 2016

We stayed at GV Habitue over Halloween weekend and had a great stay.

The top three attributes of this place are its location, price, and the owners' hospitality. You are located in a charming village between Chelsea and the Meat Packing District, only a short walk away from restaurants, markets, shopping, the High Line, and the subway. The price is the cheapest we found throughout the area and the owners were very kind and accommodating!

The building itself is a brownstone built around 1830, so the accommodations and decor of this walk-up are quaint. There was plenty of space for us with a bathroom, coat closet, living room, dining alcove, sleeping alcove, and kitchen with mini fridge, microwave, sink, stove, and pantry (kitchen not to be used for serious cooking). The pantry had oatmeal, tea, coffee, sugar, and hot chocolate which was nice. The A/C window unit worked very well and there is also a TV and free Wi-Fi. The floor is slightly uneven as with most buildings in the area. We felt it added to the character and historic feel of the building.

If you're looking for an affordable stay in a great location with character and hospitality, this place is for you.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
GVHabitue, Owner at Greenwich Village Habitue, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2017

Thank you so much for the excellent review. We enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you again soon.
Again, Thank You and Best Regards,