“Witness for the Pizzacution”

Scott's Pizza Tours
Book In Advance
More Info
US$40.00*
and up
Pizza Walking Tour of Manhattan
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Scott's Pizza Tours runs public and private tours of New York's vast pizza landscape by bus and on foot. Every tour stops at multiple pizzerias, each highlighting a different phase in the evolution of the dish from its humble beginnings as a street snack to its current position as New Yorkers' food of choice. Guests get a slice at each stop and are guided through the kitchens and back rooms of the city's most significant pizzerias. AS SEEN ON: CBS Sunday Morning, Travel Channel, Food Network, Cooking Channel, Discovery Channel, and MORE!
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Baby buggy parking
New York City, New York
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Witness for the Pizzacution”
Reviewed 26 January 2012

I’m sitting with a bunch of Little Leaguers in East Harlem's Patsy's of pasta/pizza fame, when I watch a bus drive up and disembark a parade of half-hundred hungry-eyed men, women and children led by a Woody Allen-ish guy named Scott whose voice starts booming as soon as he enters the place -- "Here's what I was telling you about." He's excited, engaged, entertaining, truly in tune with his army, all of whom are rapt with attention.

I think to myself: This guy knows what he's doing! So, I can’t help asking one of the marchers, "What's going on?" and she replies enthusiastically in a thick British accent, "We’re taking a tour around New York City to sample the best pizza and learn all about where and how it's made and who's making it." Scott quickly assembles his friends at tables, then orders them into the kitchen where they meet their makers, the guys who bake pizzas "to die for." Next, I know, everyone's eating, drinking, talking, laughing -- I haven't seen fun like this since Saturday Night Live went live.

Then I meet Scott himself and he tells us that he runs the tour, has been for a couple of years. He takes a busload or two of people every day to different pizza joints in the Big Apple -- Manhattan, the Bronx, Brooklyn, etc. Most of the people are out-of-towners and out-of-countries and they love it, you can see it in their eyes and on their fingertips. Right then, I decide that regardless of what this guy charges (and it isn't much, especially considering what you get), I'm joining one of his trips. I did and ate some really great pizzas and listened to Scott's enormous knowledge and anecdotes about the history of pizza not only in NYC but in the world. I had a ball.

If you've got kids, they'll love it even more than you do. When they get home, they can tell their friends and families that they've done something few people even in New York City do, but thousands soon will: Eat the best pizza in the pizza capital of the world in half a working day without doing any work. In the process, they also saw the real NYC and its people -- in their own neighborhoods, high end and low. They'll then know, as all veteran New Yorkers know, that there's a whole lot more to the Big Apple than Times Square, Broadway and Rockefeller Center glitz. And you won't have to buy them dinner!

Visited October 2011
5 Thank batesdon1
YummyinmyTummy, Owner at Scott's Pizza Tours, responded to this review, 12 February 2012
In the nearly 4 years I have been running these tours I don't think I've ever responded to a single TripAdvisor review. In fact, they made me go through a crazy credit card verification process to prove my name is Scott and I take folks on pizza tours JUST so I could thank you. I have never read a more engaging, sincere, well-written summation of anything on Earth and the fact that it's based on my tour just blows my mind. You brought my eyes as close to tears as any Pizza Margherita ever has. Thank you from the bottom of my heart (and stomach) for taking the time to share this story, from the details of little leaguers to the commentary on the tour's simple and fun nature. What an amazing thing to read as I prepare for today's tour. Thank you.

Now please excuse me while I send your review to my mother...

Yours in pizza,
Scott

Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Excellent tour and pizza - a must do”
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Scott + 2 aussies + 3 pizza stops + NYC = Good times!
Amazing tour through the Greenwhich village, Scott was hillarious and insightful. His knowledge of NYC and the history of pizza is incredible, he really loves his job and this makes the tour even more enjoyable. A must do even if your not a huge Pizza lover..

Visited December 2011
2 Thank Ryan B
New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Fun & different”
Reviewed 21 January 2012

My husband & I had an enjoyable time. Our tour guide, Scott was funny & interesting. He really knows his pizza right down to the smallest details. We're gonna take our kids on one of his other tours in the spring.

1 Thank lbilyeu
Oxford, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A Very Happy Birthday”
Reviewed 20 January 2012

Scott is an enthusiastic , Knowledgable, Funtime host. We went on my girlfriends birthday, and Scott made the day special. We loved the food, loved the tour, loved the experience, and love our Pizza tours shirt and hoodie which people ask us about wherever we go...we are happy to recommend Scotts Pizza tour to everybody (not just the pizza obsessed).

Thanks for the excellent tour.

Visited January 2012
1 Thank scott w
Ventnor City, New Jersey
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Fabulous!!! Informative!!!! Educational”
Reviewed 8 January 2012

I have been on alot of tours thru out the world, but I must say that Scott is by far the most educated tour guide around. He knows more about Pizza than anyone I know.. If I could find a doctor as knowledgable in Medicine asScott is in Pizza, I would never have to worry. From the moment you meet Scott you feel comfortable talking with him. he know everything and anything about Pizza and makes every Story informative and entertaining.. If you are going to take any tour in NY I would highly reccommend this one!!! It is the BEST of New York!!!! So many types of Pizzas, I will take another tour with him again....

Visited January 2012