“Oddball, fun tour.”

and up
Brooklyn Pizza Walk
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Scott's Pizza Tours runs public and private tours of New York's vast pizza landscape by bus and on foot. Every tour stops at multiple pizzerias, each highlighting a different phase in the evolution of the dish from its humble beginnings as a street snack to its current position as New Yorkers' food of choice. Guests get a slice at each stop and are guided through the kitchens and back rooms of the city's most significant pizzerias. AS SEEN ON: CBS Sunday Morning, Travel Channel, Food Network, Cooking Channel, Discovery Channel, and MORE!
Useful Information: Baby buggy parking, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
New York City, New York
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Oddball, fun tour.”
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Scott runs a really great pizza tour. You get to taste four different pizzas at four different locations. He restricts it to Pizza Margherita so you can compare the pies. He has a laser temperature gun which he uses to test how hot the ovens are. He basically did a dissertation on tomatoes (crushed v. pureed), mozzarella cheese (fresh made or commercial), thickness of the crust and how the ovens are heated. Then we discussed whether the basil was put on before baking or after. You get to learn more about pizza than you thought you would ever want to know. :)
The transportation is in an old yellow school bus.
Worth the adventure.

Visited June 2011

Boston, Massachusetts
“Fun, delicious, and interesting”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Four stops, four very different types of pizza. Went to Little Italy, East Harlem, and the Bronx on this particular Sunday buss tour. Loved Scott's enthusiasm and his love of the fine art of pizza. Went to places that I had not been before. My teenager, a bit skeptical at first, thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Visited February 2012
Central Norway, Norway
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“If your only doing one guided tour - pick this one!”
Reviewed 29 January 2012

This is a different and fun tour for everyonye. Scott is a fanatstic guideand the pizzas are delicious! We loved every second of it!

Visited November 2011
New York City, New York
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Witness for the Pizzacution”
Reviewed 26 January 2012

I’m sitting with a bunch of Little Leaguers in East Harlem's Patsy's of pasta/pizza fame, when I watch a bus drive up and disembark a parade of half-hundred hungry-eyed men, women and children led by a Woody Allen-ish guy named Scott whose voice starts booming as soon as he enters the place -- "Here's what I was telling you about." He's excited, engaged, entertaining, truly in tune with his army, all of whom are rapt with attention.

I think to myself: This guy knows what he's doing! So, I can’t help asking one of the marchers, "What's going on?" and she replies enthusiastically in a thick British accent, "We’re taking a tour around New York City to sample the best pizza and learn all about where and how it's made and who's making it." Scott quickly assembles his friends at tables, then orders them into the kitchen where they meet their makers, the guys who bake pizzas "to die for." Next, I know, everyone's eating, drinking, talking, laughing -- I haven't seen fun like this since Saturday Night Live went live.

Then I meet Scott himself and he tells us that he runs the tour, has been for a couple of years. He takes a busload or two of people every day to different pizza joints in the Big Apple -- Manhattan, the Bronx, Brooklyn, etc. Most of the people are out-of-towners and out-of-countries and they love it, you can see it in their eyes and on their fingertips. Right then, I decide that regardless of what this guy charges (and it isn't much, especially considering what you get), I'm joining one of his trips. I did and ate some really great pizzas and listened to Scott's enormous knowledge and anecdotes about the history of pizza not only in NYC but in the world. I had a ball.

If you've got kids, they'll love it even more than you do. When they get home, they can tell their friends and families that they've done something few people even in New York City do, but thousands soon will: Eat the best pizza in the pizza capital of the world in half a working day without doing any work. In the process, they also saw the real NYC and its people -- in their own neighborhoods, high end and low. They'll then know, as all veteran New Yorkers know, that there's a whole lot more to the Big Apple than Times Square, Broadway and Rockefeller Center glitz. And you won't have to buy them dinner!

Visited October 2011
5 Thank batesdon1
YummyinmyTummy, Owner at Scott's Pizza Tours, responded to this review, 12 February 2012
In the nearly 4 years I have been running these tours I don't think I've ever responded to a single TripAdvisor review. In fact, they made me go through a crazy credit card verification process to prove my name is Scott and I take folks on pizza tours JUST so I could thank you. I have never read a more engaging, sincere, well-written summation of anything on Earth and the fact that it's based on my tour just blows my mind. You brought my eyes as close to tears as any Pizza Margherita ever has. Thank you from the bottom of my heart (and stomach) for taking the time to share this story, from the details of little leaguers to the commentary on the tour's simple and fun nature. What an amazing thing to read as I prepare for today's tour. Thank you.

Now please excuse me while I send your review to my mother...

Yours in pizza,
Scott
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Excellent tour and pizza - a must do”
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Scott + 2 aussies + 3 pizza stops + NYC = Good times!
Amazing tour through the Greenwhich village, Scott was hillarious and insightful. His knowledge of NYC and the history of pizza is incredible, he really loves his job and this makes the tour even more enjoyable. A must do even if your not a huge Pizza lover..

Visited December 2011