“The Pinnacle of Urban Cool in the City”
Review of Ace Hotel New York

Ace Hotel New York
Ranked #220 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Lincoln, Nebraska
“The Pinnacle of Urban Cool in the City”
Reviewed 10 January 2012

This hotel drips hip. From the charcoal soap in each bathroom to its smartly dressed staff, the Ace is hands down the coolest hotel in Manhattan. I was extremely disappointed by the location - greasy Midtown South always leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Location aside, the amenities and service of the hotel itself are fabulous, and I highly recommend a stay here. However, beware of one thing: there are many hipsters afoot!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New England
Reviewed 9 January 2012

The Ace won't be for everyone, but I found it OUTSTANDING. I am neither young nor hip, but I loved the scene, the vibe, the funkiness, a VERY comfortable bed and a spacious bathroom with a luxuriously large shower.

I travel lots for work and sometimes wake up unable to remember quite where I am. This does not happen with The Ace--I mean, how many rooms feature a guitar and an old refrigerator? The Breslin restaurant is really delicious--breakfast was awesome--and I think Stumptown coffee it, quite simply, the best.

When I checked in, I jokingly asked if they had a special floor for "old people" and the young attractive people at the front desk laughed (with me, not at me) and put me on the top floor with a killer view of the Empire State Building. Two TV stations weren't working so a friendly maintenance guy came right up and rebooted the TV for me--all fixed. The subway stop is right there and it's an easy walk to Penn Station. Definitely will return.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor away from the elevator and not on Broadways side.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank JanieD
Dutchess County, NY
Reviewed 6 January 2012

What can I say that hasn't been said? This place is joyous! we had a memorable but brief stay occasioned by a trip to see a Broadway show. The hotel is far enough away but not too far from the hustle and bustle of Times Square to provide a pleasant afternoon stroll uptown. It is also located within a pleasant walking distance from the Holiday windows at 5th Avenue stores, Rock Center, and St. Pats the next day. I loved the humor and imagination of the decor. And the food at both Breslin's and John Dory's Oyster Bar was superb. Staff was relaxed, friendly, and helpful. I hope we get to return soon.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 6 January 2012

I was lucky enough to make a reservation at the Ace through snique away or one of its sister websites and got a brilliant rate for January. Having enjoyed the Ace lobby and Stumptown coffee on many previous visits to NY we definitely liked the casual, cool lobby area that you can find in the hotel...what I wasnt certain about were the rooms. On the website the rooms seemed a little like what I imagine an army room or ancient hospital ward to be like......I was pleasantly surprised though! We were upgraded to a Medium room and can thoroughly recommend it as it was really spacious (rm 507). Apart from having a sound deck, guitar, full size dining room table, polaroid camera and a full sized smeg fridge in the room the king size bed was super comfy and the room was super quiet (ie no traffic noise).

We did have issues with the temperature of the water not being really hot but the staff were incredibly attentive at responding with a maintenance guy coming up to take a look (thanks Tommy!) In fact every time we did have a query (ie our neighbors deciding to test out their sound deck at midnt) the staff had a security guy come up straight away. From the very start the attention to detail was just brilliant....Brian who I corresponded with made sure that we had a fridge (& a full sized one at that!!) and a quiet room.....often hotels overlook these requests and its nice to see that Ace actually took the time to a) correspond and b) to accomodate our request.

The location is awesome too. Just one block from the metro, approx 5 mins walk to Macys and an easy metro ride up or dlowntown we found the location to be excellent to get us out and about to many cool restaurants.

We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to any friends/family in the future. We've stayed at Flatiron hotel around the corner and the Standard and The Ace far surpasses either in service, comfort and the cool factor!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a Medium King if you can afford it.....and get your morning coffee at Stumptown in the lo...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Camnicsydney
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I surprised my wife with a 10-day trip to NYC for her 40th birthday and selected the Ace after having visited their Portland and Palm Springs properties.

We arrived via taxi late on a Friday and were greeted by a bouncer that was managing the line for their lobby bar/club. He was very gracious, escorting us past the throng and directing us to the front desk. The lobby was PACKED with 20-and-30-something hipsters drinking and having fun, but I shouldn't be surprised to see so much activity and the large lobby was beautifully designed with indoor access to both The Breslin restaurant and Stumptown Coffee.

Despite the noisy atmosphere, we were quickly checked in and given directions to our room. We normally carry our own bags but I might give it second thoughts next time, as getting in & out of the elevators was crazy. They are very nicely decorated and operate smoothly, but are probably the size of a reach-in broom closet!

I had booked a Large room for us, which was 400 sq ft with a King bed. It was on the second floor and very nicely decorated with very funky & fun furniture, a turntable, cool fridge and great artwork. However, it was right above the front door and the coming and going of locals was tolerable for about two hours, after which we decided we'd need a different spot if we wanted to get any sleep. I navigated back to the desk and they told me they didn't have any other rooms free that night and would see what they could do in the morning. Ugh...

We survived the evening and repacked our bags in the morning. The desk staff were a little awkward to deal with and seemed better suited to an Abercrombie catalog than a hotel, but we were promised to have our bags moved to a "better room" sometime during the day. We left for sightseeing, food and shopping with some skepticism about the outcome and my wife was giving me the "what did you get us into look" most off the day. What fun!

We returned to the hotel late in the afternoon to find that, due to room shortages, we'd been upgraded to a Loft on one of the higher floors. I liked the idea of being farther above the street, but didn't remember what "loft" in Ace-speak actually meant. Turns out there is just one per floor and it's their largest room, on the corner of 29th & Broadway with an unbelievable view of the NYC skyline, so we were sufficiently blown away to finally relax and get into the funky feel of the Ace that I had been looking forward to from the beginning.

Getting back to some generics, the location is great with two metro stops w/in a block and an easy walk to the Flatiron or Empire State Building. Central Park, Grand Central Station and Rockefeller Center are a quick subway ride or a nice walk away.

The rest of our stay was wonderful with very few issues. The staff warmed up to us once I stopped acting like something that rhymes with gas mole. We left relaxed, refreshed and in love with the Big Apple!

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms above the front door on 29th St, as there is a fair amount of chatter late in the...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Super hip hotel. Love the rooms, LOVE the lobby, LOVE LOVE LOVE the Breslin! Stumptown coffee right downstairs. Good bar scene, awesome food. Dig the thoughtful design of the rooms.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank SSDesigner
London
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I visited the Ace Hotel whilst in New York and was pleasantly surprised to find this was a trendy hang out for the upwardly mobile and the cool. Visually this boutique hotel has thought of everything, huge comfy settees to sit and sip coffee, a long table for the lap top fanatics to take root and lively buzz underpins the dimly lit foyer. I didn't stay the night but wanted to, it has the old world feel of the Dorchester Hotel London and the cutting edge decor that let's you know you've arrived. Will definitely book a room the next time I am in New York, cant' wait, 2012 here I come.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo