“Brilliant hotel - excellent value for money”

The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel
Ranked #273 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Brilliant hotel - very central. very helpful staff - very friendly cleaning staff.
Very very clean hotel. the last night of our stay there was a big accident on 6th avenue (2 blocks away from the hotel) however this accident took out some water mains which left a few hotels without hot water. The hotel compensated everyone - we got about 35% discount off our bill even though this accident was beyond the hotel's control. very very accomadating staff. Will def. stay there again.

Room Tip: best hotel I've stayed in , in New york - good value for money.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank travelbug0811
There are newer reviews for The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel

Reviewed 24 April 2012

Large hotel with small rooms, the restaurant was pricey as the bar but comparible to the rest of N York. we found the diner good for breakfast. Great position close to many attractions

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lynbob0
Reviewed 24 April 2012

It's a nice enough hotel and it's in a good location. The elevators can take a while to take you to your floor, but I think the most annoying aspect is that feeling of being just another warm body for them to deal with. I didn't pay - my company did. I don't think I would have stayed if it were me paying, I would have searched out some old friends or thought about staying outside the city. I thought the hotel bar looked a bit soul-less.

Room Tip: Enter the room tired enough and it won't matter.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank rexlombardo
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Our first impressions were not encouraging. The room (on the 24th floor) although clean, was very small with no where to sit other than on one chair or the bed. The next day I went down to reception and asked if there was a larger room or were they all a similar size. From that moment on the whole scenario changed, For another $US40 a night we were upgraded to a room on the 39th floor that had a small separate lounge, a bar fridge, coffee making machine, and included a very substantial continental breakfast. The staff were wonderful and it really made our stay. Coopers Tavern adjacent to the hotel has a great "Happy Hours" menu. Entree sized portions for about $5 and drinks similar. You must sit in the bar area and finishes around 6pm or 6.30pm. We found happy hours in a lot of hotels. They represent great value for money but the finish time may not suit everyone. Check as they do vary - some are later.

Room Tip: Don't hesitate to upgrade to a larger room, particularly if staying a few days. Well worth the...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Catherine007
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Stayed at The New Yorker for a week in March and I really can't fault it. From the moment we arrived we received excellent service. We were checked in immediately even though we arrived 2 hours before check in opened and the room we received was lovely. I have stayed in various hotels in NYC this was by far the best. The room was big for New York standards and had a view to die for. We had a great view of the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building. Location could not have been better for tourist attractions and transport links with Penn station being on the door step. Tick Tock dinner also very good for tasty food at low prices. Will definately be back to the New Yorker :)

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Laura198888
Reviewed 23 April 2012

This was our first trip to NYC. The hotel is a beautiful structure inside and out. When you walk in, it is like taking a time machine.

Looks are one thing, but comfort is another...

The rooms are VERY small. I know that real estate in this area comes at a high price, but these rooms were incredibly small. The beds are hard - this is ok for me, but my wife had a difficult time sleeping.
Another issue that we ran into was that the hot water was not working one night during our stay. The issue impacted the entire hotel, so they were unable to do anything about it. This is not something that I would expect when I am paying close to $300 a night.

The best thing about this hotel is the location. Everything you could possibly need is within walking distance. It is a prime location for this very busy area of New York. The Tick Tock Diner is also attached to this hotel - great place to eat any time of the day.

Overall, I was somewhat upset with our decision to stay here. I just don't feel like I got my money's worth. Don't get me wrong - it is a very historic hotel and they have done a decent job updating everything. We had a great view of the Hudson and the location was wonderful, but I just felt like it should have been 'nicer' for the price. Unless there is a serious discount, I do not think we will be staying there again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We booked through our local travel agent and although we had been there in 1998 there had been a huge renovation programme a couple of years ago. The rooms were modern and clean. The double bed was very comfortable. There was a flat panel TV with a variety of free and pay TV channels. Each room had an ironing board and iron, telephone with internal, external and room to room dialling. The bathroom was clean and functional with plenty of towels. The shower was excellent, and the shower curtain went round in a curve to stop flooding (my biggest bathroom gripe in hotels in general.) The bath was the same depth on the outside as it was in the inside so there would be no need to step up or step down when getting in and out. The only downside with the bathroom was the shelf in front of the mirror was not very wide and there was no other storage space. The hotel provided soap (body and face), shower gel, shampoo, condition, and body moisturiser and replaced before they were empty.

Outside in the public areas the corridors were clean and tidy at all times. Each floor had a vending machine for drinks and an ice machine. There were 12 lifts (six going from floors 1-20 and six going from floors 20-40). In the lobby there was a check-in desk were there were always three or four very pleasant and helpful staff, and luggage storage facility with a $1 per item storage charge (half on leaving your bag and half on collecting - didn't quite understand this idea but....), a valet parking desk, general information desk, a quick snack counter (pain au chocolat to die for) and a theatre ticket booking desk. The security was great with no access to the lifts without showing you key card to the security staff. There was plenty of seating in the foyer. There were bank style safety deposit boxes in reception with 24 hour access. The staff needed to use their key after the guest had signed the register, as well as the guest key and it was in a private room. The boxes were only suitable for money, credit cards, and passports as they were long and narrow. There is a business centre with three PC's with chargeable internet access although logging in to airline websites to check in was free as was printing your boarding passes. There was also a gym. There is wi-fi access in the room, there is a charge for the fast access but there is a slower (much slower) free network - but it is free.

The bar and restaurant is Coopers. Food was good but very large portions, with a wide choice of wines, beers, spirits and cocktails. The Tick-Tock Diner is on the corner of the hotel on 8th and 34th St. It is open 24 hours and seats about 350 people. The service was quick and friendly and the portions catered for the "American" appetite. We only ate breakfast there but it was adequate until dinner.

The hotel is situated on the corner of 8th Ave and 34th St. Three blocks from the Empire State Building, 2 blocks from Macy's Department store and one block from Madison Square Garden. Penn Station is also diagonally across the street with it's access to the Subway system and the LIRR train services to Jamaica Station (for JFK airport) and New Jersey Transit (for Newark). Lots of bars and restaurants are within a couple of blocks of the hotel, and a cinema across the street.

I would recommend this hotel for anyone who wants a hassle free stay in central Manhattan.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room on floor 20 as you get to use both sets of lifts. Some of the rooms have bee...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family