“Great service during and after stay”

Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel
Ranked #36 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great service during and after stay”
Reviewed 10 April 2012

We stayed at Gild Hall for two nights over Easter. We were greeted upon arrival with a glass of Proseco which was very nice. The room was beautiful, really nice linens, marble bathroom, very roomy by NYC standards. The best thing was that I left my Blackberry in the room and didn't discover it until I was halfway back to Boston. When I called the hotel the next day, they reported that the phone had not been turned in, but they would search the room again. The very nice Executive Housekeeper, called me the next day and told me they had found it had fallen behind the safe! She was so nice!!! I would definitely go back to this hotel and would recommend it highly! It's also a quick walk to Fulton Station, so easy to get around.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Scott K, General Manager at Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Thank you for the great review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. I will share your kind comments with my team.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cape Cod
Reviewed 9 April 2012

My husband and I decided at the last minute to see a show with friends in NYC. I used a hotel site that doesn't tell you what the hotel is till you buy it and chose a 4star. After purchase I was nervous because the reviews weren't good. Though I wouldn't call it a 4star, we were pleasantly surprised and had a wonderful stay. First off, the location was perfect. Walking distance to the train, Seaport, a supermarket, places to eat, coffee, bars. We were greeted with unique decor, a glass of Prosecco, and excellent customer service. It wasn't "luxury", but "boutique" hotels are a welcome change from the usual. We felt at home and enjoyed our stay. The bed was comfortable, room clean. Missing, however, was wifi. Got to have free wifi! A small fridge would have been nice too. And an odd thing; the key reader in the door woke me up a few times because it makes a clicking noise.

Room Tip: A building is going to be built next door on the east side at some point...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to fill out the review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I will have your door lock checked to ensure it is functioning properly. Give us a call next time you are in town. it would be my pleasure to personally look after your stay.

Thanks again
New Jersey
Reviewed 4 April 2012

We also purchased the Travelzoo deal but were staying over a Monday night so had no problem booking a room. They even advised that we received an upgrade without my asking. We ordered room service for breakfast and the food was wonderfully prepared. Staff were very helpful upon check-in and we needed some extra assist.

We loved the location which was close to the 911 memorial, Seaport, Trinity Church and Wall St. Great location for crossing the Brooklyn Bridge and enjoying some of Brooklyn as well as close to multiple subway stops on Fulton St. The room was large by Manhattan standards, bed was comfortable, and bathroom one of the cleanest we had seen in the city. As to someones comment about no top sheet, the comforter was covered with sheets and I found the sheets of good quality which is also becoming harder to find in Manhattan.

Our one minor issue was that we were placed in a room on the Platt St. side of the building which is where trash trucks seem to load trash and recycables from a neighboring building for two hours at a time. They actually were loading two trucks at a time with the noise of constant compacting. We were only on the 4th floor so it made it difficult to listen to the TV or each other from 8-10 pm. It was also going on during the daytime but the good news is that it stopped around 10 pm so no problem sleeping. We would return to this hotel but request a room on the opposite side of the hotel.

Room Tip: Away from Platt St. side of hotel. Room 46 has a window that does not shut tightly on the left righ...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank slstretch
Scott K, General Manager at Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, 6 April 2012
Thank you for the great feedback about your stay. We are so glad the demo accross the street has come to an end. That was a long week for us all!
Look forward to seeing you again
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I stayed at the Gild Hall with my girlfriend and two other couples back in December. The hotel was easy to locate and we even found a parking spot on the street around the corner form the hotel. I liked this property because it didn't have the feel of a bigger hotel such as a Weston or Marriott. We had three rooms between the six of us and all of our rooms were ready upon our arrival. The front desk staff was very accommodating to our group and quickly checked us in. The room was very clean and had nice high ceilings. My favorite part of the room was the king size bed. Overall I had a great experience at the Gild Hall and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 1 April 2012

I got a Travelzoo coupon for this hotel. Bad idea. Because when I tried to redeem it, they told me they were out of the "class" of rooms that were on the coupon for the date I wanted. The coupon offered two upgrades for the price, so I told them I would be happy to take a lower grade room. They were happy to book me in a lower grade room. But for a HIGHER PRICE. Then I asked them what rooms they had available. They told me they only had premium rooms. That was the room grade on the coupon. When I told them that, they said they didn't have those available, they only had suites available. Then I asked them why they were offering me a lower grade room. They kept changing the story. I should have took the hint and booked somewhere else, but I went ahead and paid the extra money.

Mind you, I was supposed to get free WiFi and free continental breakfast with the coupon, but since I got the LOWER GRADE room for a HIGHER PRICE, they were not going to honor the coupon. So I called Travelzoo and got a refund.

When I got to the hotel, they were nice enough and the hotel was pretty and the decorations were nice. However. The room was just ok. First thing. Why didn't they have a top sheet? That is just unsanitary. Who knows if they wash those comforters every day. Second. There is no coffee maker in the room. If you want your morning cup of joe, you better be prepared to go downstairs and pay a full $15.00 for their continental breakfast, which consists of some cereal, a little fruit, a few danishes and some juice. And coffee. I just wanted the coffee. So I grabbed a cup and went upstairs to my room. I didn't pay for it, figured it was the least they could give me.

Last, but certainly not least, they have NO RESTAURANT ON THE WEEKENDS. Who closes their restaurant on weekends? I was looking forward to a night in with some delicious four star food. Room service? Nope. They brought up some menus. One of the places was closed already and it was only 8pm. ??!! We eventually ordered from grubhub. I wanted room service because I wanted china and real utensils and a decent meal.

I will never go to this place again. Ever. They spend a lot of money on aesthetics and failed to spend the pocket change it would have cost to have a top sheet, a coffee maker, and some damn food. They nickel and dime you on the continental breakfast, though. Not cool. Not cool at all.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank BDavis20744
Scott K, Manager at Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Thank you for taking time to post your review. I am sorry about the confusion with Travel Zoo but glad you straightened it out with them. I wanted to assure you that each guest receives freshly cleaned 400 thread count sheets and duvets. We will be happy to make note of your request for additional sheeting should you return to our hotel. We are also sorry you did not get a chance to take advantage of our continental breakfast or evening bar service but I wanted to assure you we happily serve guests coffee in restaurant every weekend.
I am glad you enjoyed our décor and ambiance. Please contact us when you plan to return to NY so we can ensure your stay is up to our standards.
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed 31 March 2012

A great hotel in the financial district - the king room was large for Manhattan snd well appointed. The bed was like a big cloud - sooo comfortable and a very clean hotel.

• Stayed March 2012
New York City, New York
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Stayed at the Gild Hall last month and I was pleasantly surprised. I just moved from living in New York for 7 years so I am well aware that the financial district shuts down on the weekend but as a former New Yorker enjoyed the quiet streets and neat little finds for pubs and places to dine. It is also walking distance to Tribeca where you can find a little more night life. As for sleeping it was quiet and enjoyable. The staff was overly helpful in recommending places close by and gave us a room upgrade upon checking in (even having booked at a very discounted rate). If you are looking for the bright lights and touristy NYC don't stay here but if you want to enjoy a bit of New York off the beaten path then I highly recommend the Gild. Not to mention when the Monday rolled around the hotel was a buzz and you can't beat happy hour on Stone Street.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple