“Great hotel, great location”
Review of Chelsea Pines Inn

Chelsea Pines Inn
Ranked #35 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Boston
“Great hotel, great location”
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Chelsea Pines in is a great little respite in the middle of the city. You're greeted by extremely friendly and helpful staff (in some cases the owner himself), where a bowl of snacks or cookies awaits. The staff is extremely knowledgable and more than willing to point out some good spots or activities, or help you get tickets for a site, museum, or play. The rooms are small but nice, adorably decorated. Breakfast and snacks are served where you can choose from NY bagels, fruits, cereals, oatmeal, etc. The hotel is right near the Chelsea Market (great for restaurants) and the Highline (a gorgeous walk, especially in spring and summer when the weather is nice), and a multitude of shops. I wish I'd had more time to explore the neighborhood, but it was located right next to some of the major metro lines which made getting around the rest of the city even easier. I highly recommend the Chelsea Pines Inn!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (473)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
danvers
Reviewed 22 April 2012

rooms are so functional and comfortable- dare I say - feng shue - can't spell it so probably not! coffee, snacks etc, available all day along with great advise! I loved how comfortable everyone made us - no problem with my extra trips to the expresso machine , snacks etc. Great sun room -- location is unbelievable! We visited everything --without a car / cab etc WE WILL BE BACK --- If they'll have us - of course xoxoxoxox hope you see this!

Room Tip: Choose a room on the upper floors away from the street
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank danver8
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 15 April 2012

I typically travel to NYC for work, so I'm fortunate enough to stay in hotels like the Maritime, the Standard and the Ace hotel on my company's dime. This time, I needed a last minute hotel that I could afford so I could come down to visit with friends. Chelsea Pines fit the bill! The location is fabulous--you can get around anywhere from the city easily (and for me, it was right around the corner from my office). The value was very good for the money; it's not the poshest hotel in all of NYC, but that's not what it's about. It's about being comfortable and quirky with great service. Many of the rooms are decorated in the theme of a movie star--I had Jame Chandler, so there were vintage move posters all over the room. The bed was very good and I had a great sleep. The bathrooms were small but efficient and very clean. And, my room overlooked an adorable little garden in the back of the hotel, which is a rare find in NYC. I had plenty planned out for my stay, so I didn't need recommendations, but the staff definitely let me know that they'd be there if I did want it. Overall, highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank mkf52
UK
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We would return without any doubt. Just hope it doesn't get too renown so we can still get in. The guest house is friendly, clean, superbly located and decent value for money in Manhattan.
Service - faultless. Incredibly friendly and helpful and felt very looked after, safe and at home. The room was spotless and returned to that state every day.
Rooms - cosy, and perhaps slightly outdated but that was part of the charm. Incredibly clean which was very important to us, lovely well- stocked bathroom and appliances all good. Sure there is some street noise- we were on the front - but it is West 14th St and in central Manhattan. We slept well.
Breakfast- just great. Fresh fruit, yoghurt, breads, cereals and a cheese/meat plate. The breakfast room was great too for grabbing a coffee when back in from sightseeing. And a sweet back patio to sit out in.
Location- new to us and a real find. Easy to get to the Village and into Soho, and the subway just next door (have change or you'll find it hard getting a ticket. I think $6 was the most they'd take). I haven't used subway on previous trips but used it all the time this time. The best thing about the location is the Meatpacking District - buzzing day and night. Chelsea Market and the Highline the hits of our trip. Ate out in the local area every night, sitting outside when it was warm enough. And each restaurant was fantastic. There is a real vibe to this area and I wouldn't now want to stay anywhere else.
Sure this is not a hotel experience - but I think you get much more than staying in one of the anonymous chains. It felt like our own small apartment in the hottest part of Manhattan.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank NickW067067
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Stayed with my Partner over the Easter Weekend and overall this is a great hotel, service was excellent. Staff were very friendly and super helpful. The location is perfect, a short walk to the MeatPacking District and the Chelsea Market. The rooms were smaller than I would have liked but filled with charm. If I were to stay in the Chelsea area again I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 8 April 2012

That is what you will receive when you stay at Chelsea Pines Inn. The staff is always friendly and helpful. You will receive a daily list of recommended activities. My wife and I would never have discovered the Ari Hoenig group had we not been directed to Smalls Jazz Club in the Village one evening. And Jay, the owner, somehow nabbed us 5th row center seats for the opening night of the preview of "The Best Man" on Broadway. The hotel is conveniently located between Chelsea, the Meatpacking District and Greenwich Village. It is just blocks from Chelsea Market and the Highline Park. The rooms are postage stamp sized (it is NYC afterall -- besides, how much time does one spend there except to sleep?), but modern with flat screen TV and HBO. And QUIET: no street noise! The beds/linens are very comfortable. There is no elevator that I know of, so that could be an issue for disabled guests. There is an expanded continental breakfast with cold-cuts and cheese, excellent coffee or espresso, fresh pastries, cookies and fruits. After receiving a personalized thank-you email from Jay upon or arrival home, we were certain that we have found a new "home" when we visit NYC!

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the back courtyard. Absolutely NO street noise.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank WIEireannach
Ann Arbor, MI
Reviewed 3 April 2012

The staff found out we were there for my friend's birthday and we came home to a bouquet of roses in the room that evening! The staff had great recommendations for every type of request and hands down their personal touch and demeanor cannot be beat. If customer service is important to you, this is the place. The hotel is quaint and charming and inexpensive and the location is PERFECT! Just a few steps from the Blue line. If it had an elevator we would give it 5 stars but those stairs ! :)

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple