“Superb food! Best Mofongo in Manhattan!”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Brown Sugar Restaurant
Ranked #7,758 of 14,817 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$5 - US$20
Reviewed September 16, 2017

The BEST most delicious food anywhere! Cannot tell you how incredible everything was at this restaurant! EVERYTHING! I don't know where to begin to describe the phenomenal food, the staff and the entire experience. We were so warmly greeted by Gino and could tell that he cares deeply about the quality of everything that goes into each dish, drink and meal. The Mofongo is hands down the BEST in all of Manhattan! We had Mofongo with churrasco which was absolutely unreal. We had a shrimp dish with sauce that was incredible and we just could not stop eating! I also must mention that theirs is the BEST guacamole we had ever had in our lives! I don't know how they make it, but it is absolutely delicious! Our server was very sweet and the service was impeccable. As great as the mojito's at La Bodeguita were back in their day, truly Earnest Hemmingway would prefer this bartender's mojito to theirs. Absolutely the best mojito imaginable! This restaurant is worth the trip up to 215th and Broadway near Columbia University's stadium right off of the 1 train a half a block away. Having the pleasure of also meeting Chef Francisco Javier, whose talent for creating dish after dish of superb food was also a heartwarming experience. This was our first time at this restaurant my husband, my daughter and me, but it has quickly become our favorite restaurant in the city. I would highly recommend venturing on over to Brown Sugar, where they will treat you like family and make sure you enjoy your meal. Hats off to you, Gino and Francisco! You have done an incredible job and we look forward to seeing you often! Oh, and as I said as we walked out the door, "The next time I come here, I'm ordering a bowl of guacamole and a spoon!" Unreal. Just superbly delicious!