“Great Location, nice rooms”

Kimpton Hotel Eventi
Ranked #40 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Bowie, Maryland
“Great Location, nice rooms”
Reviewed 4 March 2012

This was a great location for our weekend visit to NYC. Close to transportation and within walking distance of decent shopping. The hotel was very modern. Everything was nice which is expected in Kimpton Hotels. The room was small, but decent size for NYC. Although small, the space utilization was excellent. The bed was comfortable and everything was clean. We had dinner at the restaurant in the hotel. Dinner was very tasty, but on the pricey side. The staff was courteous and helpful. This definitely goes on my list!!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (979)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Tanya0810
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Loved this hotel for just about every reason. Location is ideal for shopping around 34 street of if working with the clothing market. The decor inside the room was tres chic contemporary without giving up on comfort. The seconf floor has a great lounge area for drinks, coffee or just to catch up on work.
You can find a great self serve/ fast restaurant next door for healthy breakfast and lunch.

san diego
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Great location and very central to everything. I lOVE Kimpton hotels and this one didn't disappoint. They offer everything you can imagine complimentary. I love the happy wine hour at 5 too. I didn't eat at the restaurant but we had a few drinks and nibbles at the bar which were good. It's not a hotel I'd recommend if you enjoy lounging around the property. Besides the bar and restaurant, there's not much to see or enjoy. I would recommend it and would probably stay again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
obriggs, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Eventi, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Dear Escapists2,

I'm thrilled to hear you are a huge fan of Kimpton Hotels! Thank you for joining our loyalty program, we sincerely appreciate your dedication to Kimpton and look forward to your continued support. I hope you will return to Eventi in the near future for another memorable stay. Happy Spring!

Best,
Olivia
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Stayed here in Feb 2012 for a four-day business trip.

Booked the standard room on a SniqueAway offer, but was told we could upgrade to a suite on arrival, which I told them we would do. Check in was 3pm.

So, got there at 1pm and tried for an early check-in. Room wasn't ready and there were no suites available! Told to come back at 2pm and the room would be ready.

At 3.30pm, the room still wasn't ready.

At 3.45pm, after getting slightly irked at the check in guy as I had been travelling for 16 hours and kind of wanted a shower, I got the keys to my room.

Now I have stayed in a few NYC rooms before, so space (or lack of it) is not that much of a surprise to me. Which was fortunate, because the room had a bed, two bedside cabinets, a tiny work table and that was it. If I had a cat and had swung it, it would have hit all four walls. There are no drawers other than four tiny, dark shelves in the wardrobe (which was unlit because the 'wave your hand to make it work' light wasn't working). When I put my suitcase out which i was obviously going to live out of for four days, there was even less space in the room.

The "City View" was east out over 6th Avenue and 30th Street. Not brilliant. Oh and there is a Police Precinct on 30th street about 200 yards behind the hotel, so get used to seeing squad cars everywhere.

We were on the 15th floor and it was noisy. Take earplugs if you plan on sleeping, and make sure you don't get a room with an interconnecting door because the door is approximately the thickness of a human hair.

Then there's the bathroom.

You can sit on the toilet and put your hands in the sink, for starters. Two people trying to use the room at the same time is like watching Monty Python. And then we get to the main point of the bathroom ... the shower.

Imagine if you will a teabag, held in a colander, being squeezed by Peewee Herman and held over your head. That will give you some idea of the kind of pressure that the shower gives out. Handheld or ceiling rose, it would be more effective to spit in the air and try rub that all over your body. Absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, the worst hotel shower I have ever used. Period.

The lobby is lovely however. When the concierge is there (never once whilst I was there), I'm sure he's very good. Otherwise, the location is good and it's very clean.

But I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay someplace else.
1 Thank youaremessedup
Key West, Florida
Reviewed 1 March 2012

I recently stayed at the Eventi for an overnight business trip to NYC. The hotel was recommended by the group hosting the meetings I was attending. We received a substantial discount off of the rack rates, which in retrospect was a little surprising.

I arrived very early on a Wednesday, getting to the hotel at 11:00 AM. I did not expect to get a room that early in the day, but to the credit of the person I spoke to at the front desk they made an attempt to find me one. The hotel had been fully booked the night before and was fully booked the night I stayed. While they couldn't completely check me in that early they got me 90% of the way there and were able to provide me with a room when I came back from lunch at 1:00 PM. I was quite pleased.

The lobby is smallish but very comfortable. I was able to return some e-mails and make some calls while I waited on my room to become available. The slightly-too-hip electronica-heavy Muzak was a little loud, but bearable.

The room I stayed in was on the 6th floor with a view facing away from 6th Ave. It was nice and quiet, with a window that partially opened. The room was smallish, but very well appointed and attractive. The bed was very comfortable. The flat-screen TV actually showed HD programming (what a concept!), literally a first for me. While the screens are ubiquitous, it seems like it is not a priority among the hotel chains to deliver HD content. The bathroom was nothing short of spectacular with a walk-in shower and beautiful marble tiling. It was impressive (although better water pressure would have been nice.)

The closet was very shallow and appeared to be a little bit of an after-thought. The desk was also very small and would not have been conducive to doing a lot of work there. There was a small easy chair in one corner, but as the room was small it did not seem to fit in the overall scheme of things very well.

The location cannot be beat. It's just a couple of blocks away from Times Square and as convenient to everything in Midtown Manhattan as any hotel that I've been to in the area. There are plenty of places to ear nearby, including a couple of surprisingly nexpensive options, including a small food court that is next door.

This is probably not a great hotel for an extended business stay, but is perfect for tourists wanting a nice place to stay or for a short-stay business traveller.

Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 29 February 2012

I loved the suite here, it was very well appointed, the view was a New York City dream, and the bathroom is memorable, all in all, Eventi is the epitome of casual luxury. The only thing is the regular rooms are a bit dull if you don't have a city view or a high floor because the color palette is grey in the rooms. With that said, the suite was gorgeous and I would imagine a city view even in a smaller room would be amazing, our initial low floor, back facing room was not that exciting, I remember a purple painting of a girl with her head between her legs looking sad was in the initial room, bizarre, but the humor wasn't lost on me. I'd absolutely stay again, but prefer Ink48,Kimpton's other new property.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank JoshC87
Berwyn, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 February 2012

We are fans of the Kimpton brand and the Eventi lives up to its peers with stylish decor, huge windows overlooking the city, great loyalty program service, and daily wine happy hour. The location is just two blocks from NY Pennsylvania Station making it convenient for Amtrak arrivals. It's also a do-able walk south to the Village, east to the Empire State Building, and north to Times Square. The neighborhood feels safe and there are a number of good restaurants close by. Where it fell short was the design of the lobby (small with NO restrooms!) and the bar (faces a wall which features a video loop of some very funky images.)

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are at least 4/5 floors up so they should all be good. We went with the basic...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple