“Excellent hotel for a short city break”

Staybridge Suites Times Square - New York City
Ranked #141 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Buckingham, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel for a short city break”
Reviewed 27 April 2012

We stayed at Staybridge in late April 2012 and it was ideal for our NewYork visit. Whilst being a budget hotel rather than a posh one,it ticked all the boxes so far as we were concerned. The room was a goodsize for New York with a very big bed and included a kitchen area with microwave, hob, sink fridge freezer and a good range of pans, dishes etc. We did n't do any cooking and judging by the condition of the pans no one does, but it was nice to have facilities to make drinksand prepare packed lunches etc. Public rooms were limited, but adequate. The self serve breakfast was better than we expected and included hot dishes well cooked. The breakfast room could get rather crowded at times. We were particularly impressed with theevening "happy hour" with snacks and drinks on offer on a self serve unlimited basis. A special word for the staff who were very welcoming and friendly without exception. It was nice to have the use of a computer in the business area to check in to our return flights cand print boarding passes.
Staybridge is conveniently located on the SW edge of Midtown Manhattan and a 5 minute walk will get you to Times Square. A twenty minute walk will get you virtually anywhere in Midtown Manhattan eg southern edge of Central Park or Grand Central Station. The Hotel is opposite the Port Authority Bus Terminal from where runs the Airporter express bus to the airports - could n't be better

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Kristen L, Front Office Manager at Staybridge Suites Times Square - New York City, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Hi Kathleen,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and sharing your comments with all!
I am glad you were able to take full advantage of all our complimentary amenities we have to offer, especially our “social reception”. Our staff is here to make every guests stay more pleasant and enjoyable, so I am happy to hear they were able to do so.

We look forward to having you back as our guest very soon!

Best Wishes from the entire Staybridge Team!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,236)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Southwell
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Thank you, perfect choice for my sister and I to have our first mini holiday in New York; clean, modern apartments, really appreciated the mini kitchen - strange though to have coffee machine and no kettle - but saucepan OK for heating water for tea (the English have to have their tea!). Sorry that we couldn't have the two-bedded room we had requested, but the bed was so huge we didn't mind sharing. Good choice at breakfast thank you - really set us up for a day of heavy sight-seeing. Staff all very helpful - thank you Jamie and your colleagues on front desk. Had read about slow elevators - but this wasn't a problem we encountered. Excellent location, excellent accommodation - I hope we'll be back.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Thank you Kerry for your wonderful comments!

I am glad to hear you and your sister had an amazing mini-vacation with us. Our kitchenettes and full breakfast are just two of the many assets we offer at the hotel. Next time, ask one of our front desk agents for a kettle because we do keep them on hand for our international guests.

We look forward to seeing you next time your in the city, and please do not hesitate to contact me in advance for a bed type request, I would be more than happy to take care of that for you!

Warm Wishes from the Staybridge Staff!
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed 26 April 2012

I was not familiar with this particular hotel chain but after reading so many positive reviews we decided to give it a try. I am very picky about hotels and was freaked having read reviews about other hotels having issues with bed bugs. I had actually postponed our trip for an entire year after reading about the bed bug problem in New York. But when I read all the positive reviews about the Staybridge I was able to put my fears to rest and was once again motivated book my very first trip to New York.

Our plan was to stay in New York for 4 days and then spend two days at the Oheka Castle. It was a 25th wedding anniversary trip. Reviewers were right on the money about this place.

The positives:

No bed bugs here!
Friendly staff.
Nice sized New York city room. Not a shoe box but a little tight.
Comfortable bed.
Shower was small but everything was really clean.
Loved that room had a full fridge, micro wave, dishwasher and mini stove top. Fridge was very handy for our wine and cheese and left over pizza from John's Pizzeria. (Best Pizza - within walking distance - make a reservation first - long lines like every where in New York).
The free breakfast was a nice bonus. Pleasant decor with a waterfall fountain at one end.
They don't mind if you take a fruit and even provide plastic clams for breakfast take-a-ways. I couldn't finish my bagel with cream cheese. Put in in my purse and enjoyed it on the cruise to Ellis Island for lunch. Thank you Staybridge.
Wait staff were quick to pick up breakfast dishes and refill the breakfast bar.
The wine and cheese was also a nice touch. Both red and white wine were served in addition to cheese and hot appetizers. Wine was also very good. Loved the red.
Subway station is within walking distance just up the block. Very handy.
The hotel is within close proximity to many restaurants - Hell's Kitchen area. Recommend Five Napkin Burger (make reservations or wait a long time) and the Little Pie Company both within walking distance. Very close to the theater district and not far from Macy's. Walking distance to Empire State building and Times Square as well.
Parking was only 28.00 per day. Exceptional for New York.
No problem waiting for the elevator as others had mentioned - we were on the 18th floor.
Free wifi

Minor discrepancies:

Since it was a special occasion (25th wedding anniversary and my first time every in New York city) my husband had requested a room facing the Empire State building. Reservations were prepaid and made three weeks in advance. The view we had was terrible. A view of the side of buildings and water tanks. So disappointed. It would have been nice if his request was honored. We had read others had their requests honored without a problem. Thankfully it didn't put too much of a damper on our stay. We were out of the room most of the time anyway.

One reviewer mentioned that staff had sent a special surprise to their room for their birthday. We wondered why nothing was ever delivered to our room for our 25th Anniversary a special milestone anniversary? At least it would have made up for not having a view. The front desk was aware of this and even said Happy Anniversary to us. From a customer service perspective, it seemed that the added value service only applied to some people and was therefore inconsistent. I was somewhat annoyed and disappointed by this second slight.

We had also requested to be away from the elevators. Our request was honored in that regard however, we could still hear the swish of the elevators going up and down the shaft at night. Note that there are not many rooms per floor. This is a very narrow hotel. There are three elevators, the hallways are narrow so most rooms are either facing an elevator or are next to the elevators. There is even one room that is actually in between the two sets of elevators. I can't imagine what that room would be like. Highly recommend requesting a room either to the furthest left of the elevator or the furthest right of the elevator. The noise however didn't bother us that much because we were exhausted from walking all over town.

Note walls are thin and if people are standing in the hall way chatting they can be heard clearly in the room.

Only one night table. A little annoying because I had a drink and kept having to pass it over to my husband to put on his night table. Reading glasses and book as well. Never experienced a hotel room that only had one night table. Space issues I gathered but would recommend installing a fold down.

As mentioned by other reviewers. The Parole board and the Port Authority bus station are right up the street. The hotel is in between the Marriott and the Distrik Hotel pricier options with less amenities. We were glad we were at the Staybridge.

One morning all the parolees were lined up as we ventured out. A little disconcerting but we weren't bothered that much about it because there were a lot of people around. And we figured it was unlikely that someone on parole would want to get into trouble steps away from their parole officer. At the other end of the street however we did run into a few drunks hanging around the Port Authority bus station to the left of the hotel. But police officers were within view. Lots of different characters on other streets as well. But that is to be expected, it is New York after all.

Returning back to the room at 3:00 P.M. we expected that our room would be made up. It wasn't. But as soon as we called the maid came up right away to look after it. It was clean when we returned from dinner.

Overall we were pleased and would return with the hope that our request for a view is honored.

Room Tip: Request rooms furthest away from the elevator. Higher up. With a view of Empire State building.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Hello Monica,

Thank you for choosing the Staybridge Suites Times Square and for writing this review, we greatly appreciate your comments.

We sincerely apologize for not being able to accommodate your request and would like to take the opportunity to make it up to you. So, the next time you find yourself in the New York City area, please let us know and we will make sure you have an extra special time!

In regards to your concern about the parole office we would like to assure you that we work very closely with the city and local authorities to ensure the public’s safety and in the beautification of the neighborhood. All of our valued employees travel through the same street at all hours of the day and night and they all feel safe.

Thank you again and Congratulations on your 25th wedding anniversary from the entire Staybridge Team!!
San Diego, California
Reviewed 26 April 2012

My friend Jean and I stayed at Staybridge in March 2012. This was our second stay and we have only good things to say. Daniel Schrack and Nicolas Caycedo were efficient while at the same time friendly, helpful and caring. We loved all the staff. In a week's stay, we did not have one negative interaction with any employee of Staybridge. They really care!! Our room was immaculate. Loved the full kitchen, great beds and most of all the Tuesday through Thursday happy hour!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Kristen L, Front Office Manager at Staybridge Suites Times Square - New York City, responded to this review, 27 April 2012
Hello Susan,
We are very glad that you and Jean had such a wonderful experience while staying with us in March. We at the Staybridge Suites Times Square make it our job to make every guest experience is as memorable as possible. From cleanliness to service all of our associates thrive for excellence and friendliness. Our evening receptions on Tuesday through Thursday are just one of the many complimentary amenities our guest can enjoy. Complimentary Breakfast, Internet, Laundry and internet make the value of our property that much more substantial. We look forward to having the opportunity to having you stay with us the next time your travels take you to New York City!
Best Wishes from the entire Staybridge Team!!
La Mirada
Reviewed 25 April 2012

I only have great things to say about this place. From the time that we checked in until the time that we left, we felt at Home. Dealing with the Hotel Staff was probably the best experience that I have ever had. When we walked in, we met Eddy. He was there to load our bags onto his cart and bring our bags to our rooms. He was in the lobby most of the time that we entered or left the hotel. He always was pleasant and talked to us about what we did or what our plans were. My family and I really liked that. Eddy was the Best. We also had the pleasure of dealing with Daniel who checked us in promptly and was very professional. I could go on and on about all of the staff. They always greeted us with smiles and asked if we needed anything. BEST STAFF EVER! The room was very, very comfortable. The cleaning staff was perfect. Having refrigerator, toaster, stove top, dish washer, etc. was fantastic. Who ever hired the People that work at this Hotel should be commended and so should everybody that works at this hotel. The breakfast and coffee were also great. In previous reviews, i read about the slow elevators. The elevators are not slow. As a matter of fact, there are very quick elevators. The problem lies with the people who push the both up and down buttons when they arrive at the elevators. DO NOT PUSH THE UP AND DOWN BUTTONS AT THE SAME TIME. THIS TAKE THE ELEVTOR TWICE AS MUCH TIME STOPPING AT EACH FLOOR THAT IS PUSH TWICE. If you are going up, push the "up" button. If you are going down, push the "down" button. This will cut the travel time of the elevator in half. So in closing, I would like to THANK all at the Staybridge for the wonderful stay. We will be back and highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: We have two suites on the 29th floor and the views were great!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank John K
Hello John,

Thank you for your great review. We are very pleased to hear such great feedback about our staff. We strive to make every guest experience both memorable and comfortable. We get lots of great feedback on the full kitchenettes in the rooms. The ability to cook, store, and reheat food has been a great value add to many of our travelers. We look forward to having the opportunity to have you stay with us next time your travels take you to New York City!
Montreal
Reviewed 25 April 2012

I had a very nice stay at this hotel. Staff are friendly and helpful. Our room was clean and the little kitchen was convenient. I found the bathroom and the small side but very clean which is more important.The bed was comfy. The free breakfast that is included is a plus since many hotels in NYC do not include one. It is not a huge breakfast but has hot and cold basics which is all you really need. I would stay here again and would recommend it. It is well situated. Turn right and you are in the theatre district/ time square and go left, you are in Hell's Kitchen area.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MontrealGeorgia
leicester
Reviewed 24 April 2012

We stayed at the Staybridge from the 8th tothe 18th April. We were just minutes away from Times Square. It was convenient because it was near where my husband was plced on a business trip, and as I was with him I was very close to all the attractions in the Big Apple. What was really good is how friendly the staff were and what pride they took to look after their guests and also their knowledge of the City. Very enthusisatic and knowledgable, particularly all the concierge statf I spoke to during my trip! They made me feel welcome -NYC can seem very daunting to me if I was going to be on my own for most of the day- but nothing was too much a problem. The staff were very patient.
The room was fine...appreciated the free ;laundry room and the kitchenette! And even the dishwasher was loaded and run for us. No problems with wifi or charging our iphones....this was provided!
All smiling friendly faces.

Only thing: please get more lifts...I dont know where you would have them but I did feel sorry for those on the higher floors at breakfast time or in the evening waiting to get to their rooms. We were on the third floor-so it was fine. We will be back! Sunny (Farhad) -you were great......keep smiling!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Thank you taking the time to write your review. We greatly appreciate you pointing out all the hotel has to offer and especially for recognizing our amazing staff! We are glad to hear we were able to make your stay more enjoyable and like you "felt welcome", that is the number 1 goal at Staybridge! We would love to see you come back again next time you have to be in NYC!!

Best Wishes from the entire Staybridge Team