“Excellent” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #101 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

Due to flight issues we arrived at the hotel very late in the evening. The staff offered us a friendly welcome and after hearing of our flight delays upgraded us to a club room.

The room was lovely, with all mod cons. The bathroom was amazing with a bath rub the size of a small swimming pool.

Not the greatest location for tourists, however within walking distance of Battery Park for the Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island. Quite close to subway so Midtown is only a few minutes away.

Would definitely recommend this hotel, as the value for money was outstanding.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

I was at th Andaz for a business meeting. Great hotel, very sleek and modern, very close to Brooklyn Bridge for a morning walk and anything downtown.

• Stayed March 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

I think this hotel is close to being my favorite in NYC. The customer was service was great from beginning to end. I loved that there was free snacks and beverages available 24-7. The minibar was also free (non-alcoholic beverages only). Still that beats the $3 - $8 most NYC hotels charge for water. Wifi was also free!! Also I got a super great rate bidding though priceline.com. The only negative I can think of is that there was some street construction going on at night and if I was a light sleeper it might have been a problem. I managed to sleep through it!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Travel_GoddessNY
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

When I booked this hotel it was ranked #2 for hotels in New York, but by the time I stayed there in Feb 2012, it had moved to around #15... and im not sure if thats because other NY hotels are ramping up their game, or because Andaz Wall Street is falling behind on its usual standards... either way, its a step in the wrong direction for the Andaz Wall Street.

Location is great. Close to Line 2 for direct access to Midtown. Located just off Wall Street, so the area is tame compared to some of the more hectic hotel addresses in Midtown. At least this meant the area had a more exclusive, upmarket feel to it, which goes towards justifying the expense of staying at a place like this...

The lobby is not huge, but its modern enough, and its true the front desk staff dont actually operate behind a 'front desk' so to speak, but rather operate in a fashion that breaks down the barriers between hotel staff and hotel guests, which makes interactions with them more sociable than formal.

The room... is nice enough, but nothing remarkable compared to anything else you will find in New York. Except maybe the high ceilings. And the so-called 'free' non-alcoholic minibar, which has a decent assortment of free drinks (and paid alcoholic drinks), but the 'snacks' always consists of three items: a packet of vegetable chips, a mango muesli bar, and a small bar of dark chocolate. To the credit of housekeeping, this set list was renewed every day.

The room is a bit dark... the lighting is not as bright and comprehensive as other five-star establishments. Maybe they are trying to set a chic slightly-dark ambience. Whatever it is, it doesnt feel luxurious: it just feels half done. There is a large flat screen TV with a good selection of channels, which is good, but you are forced to trawl through about 4 or 5 different Andaz submenus before you can actually watch TV, everytime you switch the TV on. It doesnt even remember what channel you were on the last time you switched it on, which sucks. The bed is comfy enough, nice and big.

WiFi was free, but spotty, at best. My connection was fine while I was in the downstairs lobby, but everytime I was in my room, the connection was constantly dropping out, moving at a snails pace, or taking forever to connect. Sure, its free, but at least give me the option for a 'paid' WiFi connection for a fast and reliable connection. I think Andaz needs to fix this problem ASAP because wireless connectivity is a major part of people's daily routines.

I loved the bathroom: large, clean, and modern. To the credit of the Andaz Wall Street, the bathrooms in their guest rooms are well-equipped for providing a pleasant shower experience for their guests. This is important for me, so I really appreciated this.

The quality of the staff, like any large hotel, varies considerably. Some staff are very pleasant to interact with, and clearly have the right attitude and training. Others made me feel uncomfortable, primarily because they looked kinda grumpy and generally off-putting. Those looks and attitudes are fine on the street, at the local 2 or 3 star hotel, or in your personal life, but please don't trot around a high-end establishment like the Andaz Wall Street like some dispossessed street artist disgruntled with a world that fails to understand the complexities of your emotions and personality... two-thumbs down. To cite a particular example, one of the guys who delivered my room service on more than one occasion came across this way. I would much rather he left my food at the door, than allow that sourpuss into my room at the end of a long and tiring day for me...

To sum up, the Andaz Wall Street is everything you would expect from a trendy, modern, high-end hotel, comfortable, safe and clean, but unfortunately not as magical or innovative as I had once imagined the Andaz brand to be.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank eastsidehirise
Salzburg, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

My Boyfriend and I stayed at the Andaz Wall Street over New Years 2011/12 for 1 Week. It is maybe the best hotel I ever stayed in! It was amazing! The room was big, the price was good too, it was right at Wall street and you could reach everything easily by using the subway (station not far away). There is free Coffee, hot Choclatt, Cookies, Fruit, Tea etc. all day long and in the evening they have a wine Happy Hour from 6-8 pm were you get deliciouse red and white wine for free and a few snacks in addition. The room was really great, huge shower and bed, big and clean. The staff at the front desk was exceptionally nice. If you wanted to go out, you named the restaurat and they called and made reservations for you. We once told them 5 restaurants and a day to which we wanted to eat in each of them. They needed 10 mins and everything was perfect. They also give helpful tips were to go and when and even if at first there were no tables available they made it happen (let them make the reservations, because some places we called ourselves and they said they were full, but our front desk staff could get us in - Hotel connections I guess). You can even call before you go there, so that you have reservations already for your first day. The Minibar is free (nonalcoholic drinks and snacks) and very good. We loved it, we would go again! (One advice, we got a really good offer from the internet via booking.com it was much cheaper than normal price. And you have to book early to get a good price)
We loved it there and you will too

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Melanie B
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

We absolutely LOVE Andaz Wall Street. We stay here everytime we visit NYC, although last time when were in NYC we stayed at another 5 star hotel in Midtown and we missed Andaz really badly:( We will never cheat again! Exceptional customer service and very comforable rooms. Outstanding!!!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel April 2011 with our good friends, a couple who are blind. It wouldn't occur to me to mention the fact except that my otherwise excellent review of our stay was marred most definitely by the treatment we recieved upon departure by an insensitive and wholly unresponsive staff. More on that later, but first the good:

The room that we booked was lovely - newly appointed, fun and funky bathroom (a little dark, which may not appeal to all, especially with the limited lighting options, but fine for us), we upgraded to a suite which was spacious enought to have our friends over for drinks before going out to dinner in a separate seating area. Although our room was amidst a concrete jungle, that is what you expect when you book something on Wall Street and our travels were made simple from such an easy location.

The check-in was smooth. Service at the front desk was capable, but a little too...ummm...pedestrian in their recommendations. When we asked for recommendations to a decent NY neighbourhood steakhouse, we were directed to a number of national chains - fine if you like that sort of thing and are looking for something familiar, but we were really after a more local flavour - something tried, tested and NY, maybe even something hip, but that seemed too much to ask for. Subtleties like this in service recommendations, in my opinion, really separate the simply knowledgable from the true service savants. The Andaz at last check lacked any savants. Perhaps it is my own fault. Sometimes my causal Toronto dress belies my sophisticated Toronto tastes. ;)

Bruch at hotel: pricey but woth it! This was one of the nicest brunches I have experienced in all my travels: lovely cold bar complete with freshly shucked oysters, great cheese variety, smoked salmon, delicious pastries and fruit, good eggs and hot selection of meats to boot. Filled us for the long day of departure.

Oh, but the departure. Getting a cab was a miserable experience. My husband and I informed the front desk staff that we would need help with this, not only in obtaining a cab but in transferring our visually-impaired friends' luggage. In a few words, we needed all the help we could get in ensuring a smooth transfer to a reputable cab. Not only was out simple request not executed at all (indeeed ignored), but when one cab did arrive (hailed by myself), we battled with the driver for ten minutes about fare, and when we attempted to consult hotel staff about unscrupulous practices, they were of no help. As soon as we had officially checked out, they did nothing to help us on our way. Our friends and I were disheartened by their lack of sensitivity about this task and for this reason alone we will not stay at the Andaz chain again. Too bad, nice hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends