“Nice boutique hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Nice boutique hotel”
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I spent a long weekend in NYC and picked this hotel based on TA reviewers. It is centrally located (about 8 blocks from the DC-NYC bus stop) and has a nice boutique feel to it. My room had a comfortable king size bed, writing desk, flat screen HD TV, clock with iPod docker, and Keurig machine with complimentary coffee and tea. Bathroom was very clean and offered Lather products, which I really like. Lobby has 3 Macs for guests so I didn't need to bring my laptop even though wifi in the room was free. Staff was efficient and friendly.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Geneva P
ASDistrikt, Guest Relations Manager at Distrikt Hotel New York City, responded to this review, 9 April 2012
Thank you for spending your New York City vacation here with us Distrikt Hotel. We're so happy to hear you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. Each of our rooms are designed with your utmost comfort in mind, with a Keurig coffee/tea machine, flat screen TV, and more, as you mentioned. Our complimentary wifi extends throughout the building and to guest rooms, and the 3 Mac computers in the lobby are available at all times also, making for efficient and easy internet access at all times. We're happy to hear you were able to take advantage of our convenient location, and that our efficient and friendly staff was able to assist you during your stay. Thank you again and please contact us directly next time so we can make your stay even more enjoyable. Best wishes from the entire Distrikt Team.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,050)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2012

We returned to New York and thankfully found the Distrikt, believe me it was 100% better than that excuse for a hotel we went to on our 1st trip (Holiday Inn @ Newark Airport, as advised by the travel agent) Our 3rd wedding anniversary was on St Patrick's Day, this time we were witnesses at our friends wedding, again at City Hall, I think we started a trend! We had a great time, a lot of the worry about our Hotel wasn't there this time, The staff are fantastic, rooms are spotless and the view was great. We will definitely go back, there is no better recommendation than that. Enjoy :D

Room Tip: Book a high floor
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
ASDistrikt, Guest Relations Manager at Distrikt Hotel New York City, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
Thank you for staying with us during you New York City visit. We're so glad to hear you were able to celebrate your 3rd wedding anniversary with us! It's great to know you were able to get to know our staff, and you enjoyed your room. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you both again for your next trip to New York City. Take care!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Hotel is conveniently located within a short walking distance to times square It's also across the street from port authority where the airport shuttle bus drop off/pick up is. How convenient is that! Reviewers have complained about the hotel's close proximity to port authority, commenting on the sketchiness of area. Seriously, it's completely safe. We had no problems walking back to hotel at night and no one bothered us!
I don't think I've ever stayed at a hotel with such pleasant, attractive and charming staff! They were so warm and polite each and every time we talked to them! They're so good looking it will make you blush!
Our room was on the 19th floor. The view was horrible but we were satisfied w everything else. Keurig coffee maker, comfy bed, flat screen t.v. Clean towels, turn down service, morning paper, the list goes on and on. The only complaint we have is that our coffee supply kit wasn't replenished daily and when we arrived, we found clothes and underwear in one of the drawers.
Distrkt is on Facebook and twitter!
Distrikt hotel is very charming with the best customer service in the city. I would definitely return in a heartbeat. Thanks for the memories!

2 Thank EmpressHuggies
ASDistrikt, Guest Relations Manager at Distrikt Hotel New York City, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Thank you for taking your time to write your review! We're glad to hear you were able to take advantage of our very convenient location to make your trip as enjoyable and efficient as possible. We love chatting with our guests on Facebook and Twitter, so thank you for taking the time to do so! Our immediate area has improved dramatically in recent years and we as employees who walk from the subway station to the hotel everyday are as comfortable as you mentioned. We are happy to see you enjoyed the many amenities in your room such as the Keurig coffee/tea maker, flat screen TV, turn down service, New York Times delivered daily to your door every weekday, and more. We apologize for any oversights regarding the coffee kit and items in the room. Please feel free to contact the front desk at any time during your stay, as the agents are available 24 hours a day, and our team is happy to improve or modify any situation. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future. Please contact us directly next time so we can make your next stay even more enjoyable!
Reviewed 30 March 2012

The hotel is in a great location in new York. As people have said it not on the nicest of streets but never had a problem. The service was great we was met at the door after a very long journey. Our bags were taken and after a very quick check in they were taken up to our room. We were on the 7th floor. Lovely room plenty of space and clean. Only downside was that the view wasn't amazing but it didn't matter as we were not in the room much. It could be quite noisy as well from the bus terminal but you got use to the noise. I will definitely be staying here again if ever get chance to go back to New York!

• Stayed December 2011
Thank you for staying with us during your New York City visit. We're happy to see you enjoyed our very convenient location. Our attentive staff is always happy to make your stay as enjoyable as possible, so it's great to see they were able to provide an efficient and pleasant check-in process and a start to your stay. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future. Please contact us directly next time so we can make your trip even more enjoyable!
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Great Hotel!!! 13 of us travelled from Scotland for St Patricks weekend, the hotel was fantastic, spacious,clean and everything we needed on our doorstep. The staff were amazing, very friendly and so helpful, special mention to Daniel, Neesha, Alex and Mammadu. We will be back, we enjoyed it so much..

Room Tip: all rooms were great we were all on different floors , rooms above the 12th floor have great views
4 Thank gillian m
Thank you so much for staying with us during your New York City trip. We're so happy to hear you entire group thoroughly enjoyed your stay here at Distrikt! We do pride ourselves on our very friendly and attentive team, so it's great to hear you were able to get to know our team and they were able to assist you thoroughly throughout your stay. We'll pass on the kind words! Thank you again and please contact us directly next time so we can make your stay even more enjoyable. Best wishes from the entire Distrikt team!
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 29 March 2012

I booked this hotel online and prepaid. Imagine my surprise to arrive at the hotel, only to be informed that "there was a problem with the reservation." They informed me that they had overbooked the hotel and did not have a room for me... a room that I paid for over three weeks prior to the trip, during a special promotion on the website I used to book the reservation! I attempted to check in at 3pm, it is not like a lot of individuals had checked in to rooms earlier in the day. Why is it that this hotel did not call to inform me well before check in that they were overbooked? They made a reservation for me at the hotel next door, NOT a hotel of my choice. If they had contacted me before my trip, I would have attempted to make a reservation elsewhere at a hotel of MY choice. I would not choose this hotel again.

Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
26 Thank jenna_bella_09
gmdistrikt, General Manager at Distrikt Hotel New York City, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Though we regret not being able to welcome you to Distrikt, we were unfortunately as much a victim of your third party booking site's computer glitch as you were. We would have been very happy to contact you when the booking was discovered that morning, but we receive no information other than name, and it is the third party who takes payment for the stay in advance. In speaking with the online travel agency, they said that they would attempt to contact you, and we are sorry that did not happen. We did try to make the transition as gentle as possible, and our neighboring all-suite hotel is also ranked quite high on TripAdvisor, but we understand that it was not your first choice that evening. We were told that your charges were being reversed by the third party site, and simply are unable to do much more that we did.
Kamloops, Canada
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Okay, I have to say. I LOVED THIS HOTEL. The staff was lovely, and helpful (though the british concierge didn't have a clue, and had to defer to his mates, he was very nice!). The hotel was very new, modern and SPOTLESS! Thank you! I love me a clean home base. Everything was very new. We were on the 32nd floor, so it was very quiet. We had a view of the river, perfect for sunset watching, although I've had better in NYC. The room had a kerig instant coffee, tea maker, lovely and conveient. I had a small fridge brought up to keep the milk in. Lovely chocolates and turn down service. Free Wifi, which we loved. The bathroom was lovely, and for the FIRST time EVER, I actually used and enjoyed the shampoo, which never happens. Honestly, staying there was lovely experience, overall.
Except...
It's in a sketchy neighbourhood. No way around it, I hated walking home at night. I was honestly scared. As soon as you pass Times Square, it gets dodgey. This is not the hotel's fault, it's just poor placement. It is literally across the street from Port Authority, which, while convienent for travel, sucks to location. Lots of vagrants smoking and doing sketchy scary deals down our street. I was nervous every evening. Even in the daylight-I wasn't thrilled with it. That's my ONLY complaint about the whole place, and it can't be helped. I really loved my stay, but next time I need something a bit safer.

One other thing-LOOKOUT WHEN YOU OPEN THE WINDOW!! The bar that moves the blinds hits you in the face when the window opens. Happened to both my husband and I. It gave me a bloody lip and a pretty deep cut. Careful.

Otherwise I loved, loved, loved it and I am a pickey person. It was better than the Sofitel. That's right, I said it. By far. Hats off to the lovely staff, especially Alex, for being so customer friendly. That dude deserves a raise. Also, fresh ice tea or on a cold day warm apple cider day and night. Can't beat that!

Room Tip: Go high up-it's quiet up there!
3 Thank conniestinople
Hi Conniestinople, thank you for taking your time to write your review. We're thrilled to see you loved your stay. We're so glad to hear you were able to take advantage of the many complimentary amenities we have to offer, such as the complimentary beverages in the lobby, Keurig coffee/tea maker, turndown service accompanied by chocolates and a weather card, complimentary wifi in your room and throughout the building, Lather bathroom products, and more. Our attentive staff is always eager to make your stay as desirable as possible. We are sorry to hear you had a negative experience of our street. Our neighborhood has truly flourished and improved in recent years through great changes such as the revilatalization of Port Authority and planting of trees, and the three adjacent hotels provide much foot traffic. We as employees who work at and walk to the hotel daily feel absolutely comfortable. There is a front desk agent present at all times as well as a security guard during late evening and early morning hours. We are also sorry to hear of your incident with the curtain. Please feel free to contact the front desk at any time during your stay (for example, we can provide you with band-aids) and will be more than happy to amend or improve any situation. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future! Please contact us directly next time so we can make your stay even more enjoyable. Take care.