“Terrible staff! Does not worth the money.”

and 1 more site!
Harlem Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #49 of 78 New York City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Staff is not attentive or friendly. It feels you are alone in the "hostel" and the staff act like guests. Breakfast was so poor (only bread and some muffins, no eggs, no bacon, no ham).
Rooms were clean and greatly equipped.
The location of the B&B is on the "poor" side of Manhattan.
I was expecting more for almost 100 USD a night.
Additionally my toothbrush and a towel of mine disappeared (staff argued that it was sent to laundry by mistake and I've never seen it again).
Prepare to wait up to 30m in order to enter the building (on checkin) because probably staff would be only 1 person and she may be sleeping or doing something.

Room Tip: Room 2 on the first floor is great because the bathroom would be kind of private to you.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank claudiotx

Reviewed 9 January 2014

this was not my first time staying at a NYC B&B and i have never been made to feel like such a burden to check in, especially since it was at a slow 4pm afternoon. Check in took over 20 min and the air was stiff from the desk clerks attitude. as i climbed the stairs grateful to settle in i opened the door to my spacious yet stuffy room. the beds were terrible and and too short I'm 5'8 and my boyfriend is 6'2 are feet froze as they hung of the bed all night ... how did this happen? i guess the star ratings tell it all and i will never recommend this place to a friend or colleague.

Room Tip: do not try to converse with the desk clerk, she will be annoyed.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Prtha G
Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

We were staying here with 4 people for almost a week. We got a big room with place for 6 persons.
The beds were great, the breakfast every morning is fantastic. The rooms are clean. You have to know that the bathrooms are shared but you can lock the door so it isn't really a problem. Some people say the neighborhood isn't safe but I didn't felt unsafe here.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Pazza1908
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Great place, love the complimentary breakfast delicatessen and pastries
The kitchen is convenient and the beds are perfect sized for a place in NY. The housekeeping was wonderful; the owner was such a charming man
The location is great-- a short walk to the subway and Central Park

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Sexyinsouciance
Reviewed 24 September 2013

It looked so promising, but was not. The room was so small i had to move my bag to get out the door, the place was noisy, the room was so stuffy but with the air-conditioning you could not think for the noise. Then there was the noise from the bathroom next door, not very pleasant. I rang the owner to try to get an upgrade after the desk clerk could not assist but after 4 calls, 4 hours and now reply I left. Some of the other rooms maybe nicer but not where I was. I have stayed in B & B's all over the world and this was by far the worst.

Room Tip: Don't ever get the the single room - its next to the bathroom, has no windows and is the size of...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I do recommend Harlem B&B. It was very clean, very reasonable. I would definitely stay there again. As long as you know that it is a shared bathroom, enjoy the considerate service and all this b&b has to offer!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We enjoyed our stay in Harlem Bed and Breakfast. The room was great, very clean, with our own sink, fridge, stove top and microwave (if I remember correctly about the microwave). The shared bathroom was fine, close to our room and we never had to wait to use it. In fact when both of us wanted to shower at the same time one of us used the bathroom on the other floor and we still didn't have to wait. The beds were oddly short, which was fine for me as I am 5'2" but it would be a problem for anybody tallish, for example, I would not recommend my 5'11" sister stay here for this reason alone.

We felt really safe in this part of Harlem, it is very convenient, close to the subway, close to Central Park. We walked downtown several times from this place (which was quite the walk but we enjoy walking).

The service was sometimes great (amazing actually, super helpful staff) and other times not so great. Some of the staff is more helpful then others. The wifi was sometimes off so we would have to ask the staff to reset it. But other wise it was fine. We left our stuff here the last day after we checked out and that was fine, we picked it up when we were ready to leave NYC.

Harlem is charming, we adored it! Gentlemen wishing us good morning and holding doors open for us. But if you stray into different parts you may have a less pleasant experience so be aware of where you are going.

It has a hostel feeling when you walk in as there is no living room or homely feeling that you often get with a Bed and Breakfast, but I believe this has more to do with the layout of Harlem Bed Brown Stones. Hostels do not have such nice rooms, private fridges and stoves, pretty decent linens.

We would 100% stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends